Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Japans Great Buddha of Kamakura

Japans Great Buddha of Kamakura 3 years 2 months ago #15763

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Japans Great Buddha of Kamakura

Some people may not like going on a tour. I think it's great. Just sit back and let the driver worry about the traffic, while the licenced tour guide tells you all about what your seeing. Relax and enjoy. B)
Notice anything unusual about our bus? That's right, the door is on the left side. In Japan the cars drive on the left side of the road... so the door is on the curb side... the safe side.

Just follow the signs... or follow the tour guide. Everyone on our tours are from Hawaii and I'm usually the only "non-Japanese" looking person on the bus... and stand a head taller. I stick close to the tour guide and everyone can easily spot our group even in a busy tourist spot.

The Great Buddha of Kamakura (Kamakura Daibutsu) is a bronze statue of Amida Buddha, which stands on the grounds of Kotokuin Temple. The statue is 13.35 meters (43.8 feet) tall and weighs aproximately 93 tonnes (210,000 pounds). The statue is hollow, and visitors can go inside.

It is the second tallest bronze Buddha statue in Japan,

Many visitors come to see these historic sites. One of the couples from our tour pose for a picture next to a "Japanese Lantern"

We always saw school kids at many of the more popular locations we visited. It's true, the Japanese take lots of pictures. :laugh:

Now why are all these people touching this thing?

Keiko san, our tour guide explained that if your offer incense and touch the part of the statue that represents where you are hurting... you will feel better. If your knees ache, rub the statues knee.

A prayer is universal the world over.

If your over 40 feet tall... what size slippers do you wear... Something in a 12 "foot" model?

Language was never a problem for me in Japan... most tourist spots and stores also have signs in English... and many people speak English... and you always have your English speaking tour guide to ask for help in translations. My problem is that I speak enough Japanese to get myself into deep trouble. When people figure you can speak the language... they start talking really fast. (Could you say that again please? Slower.) :blush:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by StanWright.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Japans Great Buddha of Kamakura 3 years 2 months ago #15764

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you for sharing, Stanley. Super pictures.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu