Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum Around the World Fishing the Yellowstone River
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fishing the Yellowstone River

Fishing the Yellowstone River 3 years 7 months ago #15173

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
If your headed to S W Montana this summer, you really should set aside a day for fishing one of the beautiful trout filled rivers. Don't worry if you've never fished for trout, or even held a fly rod... the guides are great and will have you into fish in no time.

It's hard to concentrate on the fishing with all the beautiful scenery and wildlife. We fished the Madison, Yellowstone, and Gallatin. Every river is different. You just relax in the padded seat of the drift boat as you float along from fish to fish. It's a new adventure around every bend in the river.
Then on the last day of our trip........ we lucked out and got to
"Hammer the Hoppers"
I have never seen anything like it... so many grasshoppers. The weather
was hot and sunny, the water cleared and the trout went on a "hoppa hunt"...

Most rainbows were in the 12 to 15 inch range.

Rainbow trout in the net.

We caught a few Whitefish.

The Tenkara Rod was getting a workout. This is the Hopper that was fooling the fish.

We even hopped out of the boat to fish the hoppers in the smaller side channels.

Get the net. It was so much fun seeing the rainbow trout come up to the surface and hit the grasshopper flys... even more fun on a Tenkara. :lol:

Fishing on the beautiful rivers around Bozeman, MT was great.
But the most exciting part of the trip was seeing the "Rainbows Hammer the Hoppas".
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Fishing the Yellowstone River 3 years 7 months ago #15324

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
I have fished some high country lakes in North Central Colorado and the scenery (as you say, Stan) is so breathtaking that I had to set my gear down and just stare. It gives you such a timeless picture of the Earth.

I'd like to live out there if the winters wern't so long and brutal. :S
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu