Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2010 Tour de France

2010 Tour de France 4 years 3 months ago #13707

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
So far, it's been carnage and mayhem on the road. The prologue took out two riders (one with a broken collarbone and one with a broken jaw). They both finished the ride, which shows how tough riders are.

Yesterday, most everyone hit the pavement. First, a dog ran out in front of the riders. Then, the hairpins corners took their toll. Then, one rider took almost everyone down with him, blocking the entire boulevard on the run up to the line. Egads.

The word of the day for Stage 2 was carnage. Bodies and bikes all over the road all day. Add rain to the mix and you have some dangerous conditions.

Cancellara (Saxo Bank) told the referee that everyone was going to ride in together. Well, everyone save Sylvain Chavanel, who managed to stay upright and win the stage by a wide margin. I like Chavanel and since he's riding for a Belgium team (Quick Step), it was nice to see him win on his home roads. (He's French, but spends a lot of time with his team.)

Tomorrow should also be a blood bath. There are nine (I think) sections of cobbles, which might tear up the peleton. I look for Cancellara to stay upright. He's good at riding the "Hell of the North."

I hope nobody else has to abandon after today's crashes. One kid tore up his face pretty badly. I think he's out. Tyler Farrar, an American sprinter, came in way late, but with the protest by all the riders (all of them came across the line at the same time, no one racing for the finish line), maybe the referees will give them all the same time. Who knows?

Vive le Tour.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by terrymathews.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:2010 Tour de France 4 years 3 months ago #13725

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
There is no more grueling sporting event than this race. I am in awe of these riders. Having biked quite a bit in the past, and done some 100 mile races (on the flat), I can't picture a near 3000 mile run thru mountains in a pack.

Vive le Tour.
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Gabrovic.

Re:2010 Tour de France 4 years 3 months ago #13779

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
Ain't it the truth? Carnage everywhere during the first 3 days.

Yesterday and today were for the sprinters. I loved the run ins to the finish line.

They hit the Alps Saturday. And so it begins. B)

Re:2010 Tour de France 4 years 3 months ago #13786

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
It's sizzling in the Alps. Almost every rider had his jersey wide open on the way up the slopes today. There's a heat wave in the mountains.

Tomorrow will be interesting. Will Contador fly to the top and take the overall lead? Will Andy Schleck be able to climb without his brother (Frank - who crashed on the cobbles and broke his collarbone) at his side? Will Bradley Wiggins be a surprise contender? Will Lance and the Shack boys finally let loose?

7:30 in the morning. Versus TV. Be there. B)

Re:2010 Tour de France 4 years 3 months ago #13836

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
Have the French started yelling "doping" yet, or will they actually wait and see if an American wins? They don't want to lose their edge.
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)

Re:2010 Tour de France 4 years 3 months ago #13837

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
Gabrovic wrote:
Have the French started yelling "doping" yet, or will they actually wait and see if an American wins? They don't want to lose their edge.

Alas, this year, it's not the French crying foul ... it's an American ... an American who was stripped of his 2006 TdF title ... an American who said he never doped ... it was the beer that made him finish 15 minutes ahead of everyone in the mountains in stage 17 of the 2006 race ... it was an American who said later it wasn't the beer, it was the *sip* of whiskey he had the night before he rode the legs off everyone else that day ... it was an American who then said it wasn't the beer or the whiskey ... it *might* have been a small testosterone patch he put on the inside of his leg.

It's the same American who raised over $1,000,000 from people like you and me for a legal defense fund. It's the same American who testified under oath that he never doped and who wrote a book about never doping.

It's the same American who has now change *ALL* his stories and says he *did* dope and so did everyone on his team, including seven time TdF winner and team mate Lance Armstrong, even resorting to selling their bikes to raise $$$ to dope.

Sorry to go off, Gabrovic, but on the trip to Tyler, Dallas, Tyler and home today, I've been thinking about all the lies Floyd Landis has told over the past 4 years and the more I thought, the madder I got. B)

Re:2010 Tour de France 4 years 3 months ago #13838

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
ArtsJunkie wrote:
Gabrovic wrote:

Alas, this year, it's not the French crying foul ... it's an American ... an American who was stripped of his 2006 TdF title ... an American who said he never doped ... it was the beer that made him finish 15 minutes ahead of everyone in the mountains in stage 17 of the 2006 race ... it was an American who said later it wasn't the beer, it was the *sip* of whiskey he had the night before he rode the legs off everyone else that day ... it was an American who then said it wasn't the beer or the whiskey ... it *might* have been a small testosterone patch he put on the inside of his leg.

It's the same American who raised over $1,000,000 from people like you and me for a legal defense fund. It's the same American who testified under oath that he never doped and who wrote a book about never doping.

It's the same American who has now change *ALL* his stories and says he *did* dope and so did everyone on his team, including seven time TdF winner and team mate Lance Armstrong, even resorting to selling their bikes to raise $$$ to dope.

Sorry to go off, Gabrovic, but on the trip to Tyler, Dallas, Tyler and home today, I've been thinking about all the lies Floyd Landis has told over the past 4 years and the more I thought, the madder I got. B)

I heard that. One guy can really mess up a sport. I did not know about the fund raising. Sad. :huh:

Re:2010 Tour de France 4 years 3 months ago #13846

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
Gabrovic wrote:
I heard that. One guy can really mess up a sport. I did not know about the fund raising. Sad. :huh:

I don't doubt there was doping. Too many top shelf athletes keeling over dead for no apparent reason. Too many long-held records going down in flames.

But what Landis has done is unbelievable. IF he had 'fessed up early on, the world might have believed him. But to have denied, denied, denied, denied and THEN suddenly, right before the 2010 Tour de France, decide to come clean. Nope. Not buying it.

He also sent a lot of threatening e-mails about his participation in the 2010 Tour de California ... he wanted to ride. They wouldn't let him. He got mad and that's when he started telling the truth ... after 4 long years in the land of de-nial! B)
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by terrymathews.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu