LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: God's Team

God's Team 4 years 7 months ago #13013

April 11 will be the end of the stadium of God's Team. Kraft is sponsoring the explosion that will destroy the "historical" site. And the city of Irving is charging a fee of $25 to park and watch.
I still just can't believe it. Who else disagrees with this...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:God's Team 4 years 7 months ago #13014

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
it's going to really pinch irving's budget that's for sure. irving made so much money off that stadium ( tax revenue?) that they didn't charge for field or light usage for some leagues. i'm sure it'll impact other departments and services as well.
i remember when it was first built - i was in awe of that structure. my sis lived up the road from that building and everytime we visited them i wanted to go and look at that building.
may the ghost of tom landry still find solace in the Cowboys, even in the new World-o-Jerry Stadium.

Re:God's Team 4 years 7 months ago #13026

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
I miss Coach Landry so much.

Re:God's Team 4 years 7 months ago #13032

• docziggy
  • Gold Boarder
ArtsJunkie wrote:
I miss Coach Landry so much.

You aren't the only one. I am not one to sit around and talk about the good ole days, but there was only ONE Tom Landry. May God rest his soul and hopefully the almighty will look the other way at this horrible event. I realize Jones is in it to make money, but the Cotton Bowl is still around after a billion years and gets used. It just seems like they could have found some decent use for the old girl, high school games, soccer, etc. I will not be watching this. I was in the press box on occasion. Howard Cosell was there, along with some other biggies. And I sat down and ate the best BBQ in the world with the biggest names in broadcasting. You just can't implode memories like that. God bless Tom Landry and God's team.

Re:God's Team 4 years 7 months ago #13038

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
Doc: My grandfather worked for the Dallas Morning News for over 40 years ... he got us tickets to the games when they played at the Cotton Bowl. We also got tickets for Texas Stadium. I got to see Tom Landry and his crew up close and personal several times and he was always a gentleman. Even Hollywood Henderson - whacked out on LSD - respected Coach Landry. It's not that way anymore, sad to say.

That hillbilly from Arkansas with the bad rug and face-lift gone wild may know about money, but he has no respect for tradition ... I'm still not over him firing Coach rather than letting him ride off into the sunset on his own terms. I know. I know. I need to move on, but after that, football just lost some of its magic. :(

Re:God's Team 4 years 7 months ago #13103

Well I did it. My opinion is voiced. But I guess in the long run how much difference did it really make?
Check out my blog on the implosion of Texas Stadium. www.myssnews.com/blogs/sports-blog/9773-...e-texas-stadium.html

What are your feelings on the event??
Sad, happy, indifferent??

Re:God's Team 4 years 7 months ago #13214

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
ArtsJunkie:

Coach Landry was a great coach and a good person. But his so called "firing" has been overblown. His record in his last years was very poor. The owner wanted him gone BEFORE Jerry Jones bought the team. There is a time when you know when you're done, and you need to leave on your own. Also, Jerry flew to Austin and told him face to face. He could have done it over the phone or had a subordinate do it.

Football is not the same and neither are the "Arts."
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)

Re:God's Team 4 years 6 months ago #13220

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
Gabrovic wrote:
ArtsJunkie:

Coach Landry was a great coach and a good person. But his so called "firing" has been overblown. His record in his last years was very poor. The owner wanted him gone BEFORE Jerry Jones bought the team. There is a time when you know when you're done, and you need to leave on your own. Also, Jerry flew to Austin and told him face to face. He could have done it over the phone or had a subordinate do it.

Football is not the same and neither are the "Arts."

Maybe it was time for him to go. I think he would have gone on his own the next season. It would have been so smart for Jones to have let Coach do it that way. Jones is on the record as saying he did not handle the matter well.

Face to face or not - it was not the way to treat a man who did so much for the team - and for the sport of football. I know coaches can be let go at the drop of a hat, but that was a different time and I believe Coach Landry deserved better than what Jones did.

I've never heard Bum Bright wanted Coach Landry gone before the Jones deal.

Re:God's Team 4 years 6 months ago #13225

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Is it football season yet?
How much longer???????
:woohoo:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re:God's Team 4 years 6 months ago #13230

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
Maybe it was time for him to go. I think he would have gone on his own the next season. It would have been so smart for Jones to have let Coach do it that way. Jones is on the record as saying he did not handle the matter well.

Face to face or not - it was not the way to treat a man who did so much for the team - and for the sport of football. I know coaches can be let go at the drop of a hat, but that was a different time and I believe Coach Landry deserved better than what Jones did.

I've never heard Bum Bright wanted Coach Landry gone before the Jones deal.

ArtsJunkie:

I appreciate your thoughts. I am a huge Cowboy fan and have been since 1984. And before that, I envied their style and winning ways, and, of course, Coach Landry.

Jones style is/was brusque. If he says he "should have handled it better," then I defer to him. He is a hands on exec and Landry and him would not have lasted two days. Further, in the world of corporate business (which this is), execs and coaches know the door swings both ways and you're often unceremoniously ushered out. Ask Lee Iacocca when he got bounced from Ford. Landry found out how players are treated when they "lose a step." It's not about what you did yesterday, it's what have you done for me today, rightly or wrongly.

I have read every book on the Cowboys I can get my hands on. In Skip Bayless' book, the Boys. He states, "Bright purposely let Landry twist in the winds of change." Bright said 'Landry never gave me the time of day.' Bright was disenchanted with Landry's last three records, 7-9, 7-8, 3-13. Bright also knew Jones was bringing in Johnson and liked that! Schramm gave Landry a new contract without Bum's knowledge.

Tex Schramm actually set up the meeting in Austin. Newspaper articles in the Dallas papers already forecast the firing of Landry three days before. There was no surprise.

I only bring this up, because what we hear is somewhere north or south of the truth. Emotionally, I agree with you.
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)

Re:God's Team 4 years 6 months ago #13252

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
I learn something every day ... :)

Re:God's Team 4 years 6 months ago #13287

• MsHaggie
  • Senior Boarder
I think I would have eventually forgiven Mr Pompous A$$ if he hadn't started strutting on the sidelines. At the time, I can't remember seeing owners strutting on the sidelines like JJ does. He needed to be an owner, and stay in his box and not strut back and forth on the sidelines and let his coaches and players play.

I know it didn't make a hill of beans difference in their play, it just really irritates me EVERY SINGLE TIME i see it and makes me hate him more and more. :angry:

I even "left the fold" for a few years, but I came back about 3 years ago (maybe subconsciously to tick my son and hubby off! heehee)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu