Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion Moving on ..... to downtown
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Moving on ..... to downtown

Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3405

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok ..... we've had some general conversation about downtown and the renovation process. Whether you are for or against the renovation (that's not the point of this post), what kind of businesses/activities/etc would you like to see?? What kind of restaurants? Bars? Shops? Activities?

I'm interested in seeing what peoples' thoughts are!! :silly:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3408

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
how about a couple nice sit-down places to eat? How about a really great book store?

The problem is, does SS really need those places? Would such establishments really thrive here? Is there enough interst or money in such places?
I'd like to see more jobs locally, which would bring about more spending money on the part of the public....would anything downtown hire enough people to cause some sort of positive uptick in the economic indicators in SS?

Sorry, don't mean to be a downer. I just think that it would take a larger employer coming in to make it more viable for almost anything to come in to the downtown area.

Re:Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3414

• page
I don't know who owns that empty build on the corner of Main and Davis. I think a good family oriented restaurant and game room upstair would really be neat. As long as it was reasonably price. It got to be priced right or it will never work.

Re:Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3415

• etex211
  • Senior Boarder
The owners of the retail businesses have already made their decisions. They moved to the south side of town. Downtown is dead. It's not coming back, regardless of how many tax dollars we throw at it.

Re:Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3417

• momof3
  • Platinum Boarder
I can definitely see what you are talking about heart. We do need employers and ones that will pay more than minimum wage. Sorry, but a family can't live on ythat.

For sit down places to eat there really isn't much parking in the downtown area. I do remember when there were small cafes downtown. Those seem to do pretty well when they were there.

Maybe a few specialty stores. Strawberry Fields is the only place in town for children 's wear, outside the department stores, but they seem a little pricey. Maybe something like gourmet coffee and chocolate, specialty candies and cakes, that would serve breakfast and a light lunch. However, there again, I don't know if the market for it would be here or not.

I think a book/ magazine store would be a good idea, maybe with a small area to read papers and have coffee or tea or coke.

I would like to see even the empty buildings have a nice facade. Maybe the downtown alliance and some volunteers could get together with the property owners and do a little makeover here and there.

I do remember when people used to sit on the benches that were in front of the courthouse and chit-chat and watch traffic and just pass the time. You don't see things like that anymore. Maybe that is an idea for the old library, just a gathering place to sit and chat, maybe they could have something like a community room that could be rented for wedding showers or birthday parties or family reunions.

Re:Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3420

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
etex211 wrote:
The owners of the retail businesses have already made their decisions. They moved to the south side of town. Downtown is dead. It's not coming back, regardless of how many tax dollars we throw at it.

I've got to disagree with you a little etex ..... yes, many businesses left the downtown area years ago, which caused it to become a virtual ghost town ......

However, I think the renovation of downtown will bring it back -- but possibly in a slightly different form. I know of two restaurants that are going in downtown, joining the already successful winery. I've heard of two other businesses that are looking at the downtown area and one person who owns one of the buildings has told me that they have received "many" calls about the availability of their building. If we continue to renovate -- I think the businesses and the people will come.

By the way ... if I understand the new tax system the city council voted in .... then the downtown area will -- for the most part -- pay for itself (at least eventually). The way I understand it, as the downtown buildings continue to appreciate in value, the APPRECIATED VALUE taxes will be used to renovate downtown ... meaning if a building is on the books for, say, $50,000 and appreciates to $100,000 due to the renovation of downtown, then the taxes garnered from that $50,000 increase will go to renovating downtown.

Hope that made sense :blink:

Re:Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3423

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
My bride and I went to the Farmers Market yesterday and got some wonderful tomatoes and cantalope and a few other things. I was surprised that the turnout was so low considering that voting was going on a few blocks away.

It also surprised me that at least one of the vendors was not selling anything at all, just dispensing information about what you could do with all the goodies you could buy at the market. She had some outstanding salsa/ dip, hard to really catorgorize it. You would sign up for her website, no charge at all, and you can get recipes and suggestions. Maybe she makes some money off advertising on her website, but I was impressed none-the-less.

www.simpledailyrecipes.com

One thing I did hear while there is that there is possibly a plan to cover the parking lot that is mid block on the south side of Main, in order to move the market there.

Re:Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3424

• etex211
  • Senior Boarder
jbourne wrote:
etex211 wrote:

I've got to disagree with you a little etex ..... yes, many businesses left the downtown area years ago, which caused it to become a virtual ghost town ......

However, I think the renovation of downtown will bring it back -- but possibly in a slightly different form. I know of two restaurants that are going in downtown, joining the already successful winery. I've heard of two other businesses that are looking at the downtown area and one person who owns one of the buildings has told me that they have received "many" calls about the availability of their building. If we continue to renovate -- I think the businesses and the people will come.

By the way ... if I understand the new tax system the city council voted in .... then the downtown area will -- for the most part -- pay for itself (at least eventually). The way I understand it, as the downtown buildings continue to appreciate in value, the APPRECIATED VALUE taxes will be used to renovate downtown ... meaning if a building is on the books for, say, $50,000 and appreciates to $100,000 due to the renovation of downtown, then the taxes garnered from that $50,000 increase will go to renovating downtown.

Hope that made sense :blink:

Yes, that all makes sense, but the funding scheme will not work. The numbers do not add up. All of the taxpayers will be on the hook for it.

I have no problem with trying to make downtown a better place, but I don't think that we should be spending an inordinate amount of taxpayer dollars on it.

ETA: This funding scheme is essentially the same thing that Dallas is trying to do with their convention center hotel. The Dallas mayor promises that the hotel will pay for itself, but the taxpayers have to fork over a half billion dollars first.

When politicians say "Trust me," I always run the other way.
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by etex211.

Re:Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3427

• etex211
  • Senior Boarder
BTW, as long as we are dreaming, I'd like to have a major league baseball stadium downtown. Downtown stadiums are really cool.

Re:Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3429

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
etex211 wrote:
BTW, as long as we are dreaming, I'd like to have a major league baseball stadium downtown. Downtown stadiums are really cool.

Meeeeeee Tooooooo!!! :woohoo:

btw ... your "politician" comment above was pretty good! :laugh:

Re:Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3616

• 2Cents
  • Junior Boarder
The revitalization of downtown is, I believe, very important to the future growth of Sulphur Springs. The Farmer's Market appears to be relatively successful. The grant program will help some building owners improve the facade appearance. A UPS volunteer group helped to re-do the front of the Genealogy Building. More improvements are probably on the way.

It is unfortunate that just when Main Street was completed that the total economy went into recession, but when things turn up again, we'll be good to go.

Clearly SS needs more substantial businesses and employment opportunities besides restaurants and retail. But with an attractive downtown, attractive school facilities, hospital addition, etc. that should be a big plus in attracting new business to the area.

However, I think that the City and the Tourism Board could be more aggressive about advertising activities downtown (Farmers Market and Flea Market) to a wider audience than just the local people. There are also state programs, that for a modest fee, provide advertising and promotion outside the local area.

As far as taxpayers holding the bag. . . I don't remember any additional tax assessments for the Main Street project. Any money spent to fix up downtown is an investment in the future . . . . not a boondoggle. The only other option is to let the whole place fall down around us or bull doze it . . . and for what purpose?

I don't have any particular suggestions for new businesses on Main Street. Only free market entrepreneurs will be able, through trial and error, to determine that. I have thought that an old-fashioned ice cream parlor would be a good idea . . . . but who knows.

Re:Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3626

I think all these ideas are good... We did have an old fashion ice cream parlor at one time, but Idk how their business was. I was fairly young then, so I loved it! I love the winery! I think an internet/coffee cafe would be great, but again who knows how the business would be. Plain & Fancy stays busy, and so did Bob &Ann's back in the day. I think another variety of eating establishment would survive...especially if they serve alcohol. That seems to be a good draw! :)

Re:Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3629

I think with the right mix of specialty stores and restaurants, the downtown could be a great draw. It's already getting there. Our square is a good place to shop and eat a light lunch. With a few more specialty stores and another restaurant or two, it could be a great place.

Re:Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3671

• etex211
  • Senior Boarder
2Cents wrote:
Any money spent to fix up downtown is an investment in the future . . . . not a boondoggle.

Yeah, Obama is just investing in our future, too.

Re:Moving on ..... to downtown 5 years 7 months ago #3673

• Heffie1
  • Gold Boarder
Oh Yeah! Just think if we redo downtown and it gets booming, and with our new school and multi-purpose indoor facility, we will get a Target and a shopping mall, oh and yeah many new restaurants.
Because isn't this going to bring in new businesses.

No need to fear The VOTE YES FOR KIDS SUPER HERO is here.
If we open a quarrel between past and present, we shall find that we have lost the future.
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Heffie1.
Time to create page: 0.496 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu