LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion Open-carry law takes effect in Oklahoma
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Open-carry law takes effect in Oklahoma

Open-carry law takes effect in Oklahoma 1 year 8 months ago #16206

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk.
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Oklahomans with a license to carry a concealed firearm are now able to carry their handguns out in the open.

The state's much-debated open-carry law went into effect Thursday after being approved by the Republican-controlled Legislature and signed into law by Gov. Mary Fallin earlier this year.

It allows the estimated 141,000 Oklahomans with a license to carry a concealed firearm to also carry their weapons openly in a holster or belt. State officials say they've seen a 40 percent increase in license applications this year.

The law only allows handguns less than 16 inches long and .45 caliber or smaller to be carried openly.

Guns still are prohibited, concealed or not, in government buildings and public meetings, bars and taverns, schools, college campuses, and professional sporting events

Not sure I want to meet someone having a bad day in Wal-Mart with a loaded gun on his/her hip. How about you?
Guilt is concerned with the past. Worry is concerned about the future. Contentment enjoys the present.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Open-carry law takes effect in Oklahoma 1 year 8 months ago #16208

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm all for gun rights. I really am. If you want to own a gun you should have every right to own one.

But you shouldn't be able to carry the thing around on your hip. Sorry. Like Lighthouse said .... somethin' bad is gonna happen at a Wally World. You can just see it coming. :(

Re: Open-carry law takes effect in Oklahoma 1 year 8 months ago #16212

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
Totally agree about we have 'a right to bear arms', but just not in places where people get 'testy'...
Guilt is concerned with the past. Worry is concerned about the future. Contentment enjoys the present.

Re: Open-carry law takes effect in Oklahoma 1 year 8 months ago #16215

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
jbourne wrote:
I'm all for gun rights. I really am. If you want to own a gun you should have every right to own one.

But you shouldn't be able to carry the thing around on your hip. Sorry. Like Lighthouse said .... somethin' bad is gonna happen at a Wally World. You can just see it coming. :(

As government expands, your rights contract.

I don't see anywhere in the Second Amendment to the Bill of Rights where it says how a firearm is to be owned or carried. When guns were carried openly in this country, people were a whole lot more courteous to one another then they are today. And if you needed to defend yourself at Wal Mart, would you be happy to know your gun was safely home under the bed?

Licensed carry people have been tested, screened, and fingerprinted. This is more than I can say for those out there carrying illegally. Read the book, More Guns, Less Crime. The author actually set out to prove a case against guns. He found the facts to be otherwise.

Chicago has the tightest gun laws in the country and one of the highest homicide rates. Maybe the perps can't read.

I choose not to be a victim. I have carried a firearm for over twenty years and never once has the gun jumped out of the holster and killed anyone.
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)

Re: Open-carry law takes effect in Oklahoma 1 year 8 months ago #16216

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
lighthousecollector wrote:
Totally agree about we have 'a right to bear arms', but just not in places where people get 'testy'...

...where people get 'testy'...

I find that to be most everywhere. Where would you have us carry? If you are afraid of guns, don't own one.
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)

Re: Open-carry law takes effect in Oklahoma 1 year 8 months ago #16218

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
Sorry, Gabrovic, it seems my answer made you 'testy' (easily irritated or annoyed). Actually I'm not afraid of guns, nor am I afraid of most people who have them. I shoot pretty well for an old lady. I'm afraid of the hot head that might reach over and pull it out your holster because someone said or did something that irritated or annoyed them. :)

Re: Open-carry law takes effect in Oklahoma 1 year 8 months ago #16220

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
Modern day holsters have retention features that make it difficult, if not impossible to get a gun from a knowledgeable carry person. If that were true, most lawmen could be disarmed easily.

You didn't make me testy. I just get tired of the MEDIA trying to make us all victims. Keep up with your shooting practice.

Re: Open-carry law takes effect in Oklahoma 1 year 8 months ago #16221

• page
Does it really matter if it's concealed or out in the open? If someone gets irritated or annoyed they probably have their own gun without taking yours or anyone elses and my guess the person doing this shouldn't have the gun anyway. They probably stole it from someone. JUST SAYIN

Re: Open-carry law takes effect in Oklahoma 1 year 8 months ago #16241

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
:ohmy:
Something already happened at Wall Mart in SS. I remember last year reading in the NRA magazine about a young man using his firearm (concealed carry ) to stop some lady from getting beat up by her X. in the3 parking lot. Held the guy until police arrived. I think it was the SS chief of police who was quoted in the story.

I see no reason why a civilian who passes the same background check, 40 hours of classroom training, and practical skills test like police officers are required to pass.... should not be allowed a concealed carry permit.

Of course, in Hawaii, you have to do all that just to purchase a firearm. And you are not permitted to carry it.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re: Open-carry law takes effect in Oklahoma 1 year 8 months ago #16249

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
speaking from an experience from having had a gun pulled on my in a road rage incident here in dallas back in '93....this just enforced the idea that my dad instilled in my head - "not everyone that can own a gun SHOULD own a gun"....he uttered that one day when a "buddy" of his came by & showed off a new rifle he'd just bought somewhere in SS (gibsons or howards maybe?) and was all excited about it.

dad listened to him, complimented him, but wouldn't let him come in the house with it.
the guy crowed about it and went about his business.
dad turned away and made his statement (above) and also said he'd never go huntin' with that boy. and the way he used "boy" back then was not a compliment.

i've had many friends in law enforcement and that worked in ERs that while they truly believed in the 2nd amendment - they also had the same feeling my dad did. they'd seen too much from loons in the span of their careers.

i'm not afraid of guns - i have a few pistols in my home. but when the little kiddos come for a visit - they're removed from the premises and put away safely. i don't want a terrible accident to happen and then feel responsible. i recently got my CHL, yet I don't carry it with me. it's one of those "just in case" things.

i just wish there was a bit more caution by people in handling guns.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu