LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram

Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16038

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
What do you guys think about Charles Oxfords ad in the paper where he promises to publish in print and media anyone who signs the petitions for beer/wine sales in grocery stores and restaurants?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16039

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk.
I honestly was not sure what to think. Guess it depends on how you 'interpret' what was said in the ad.
Guilt is concerned with the past. Worry is concerned about the future. Contentment enjoys the present.

Re: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16040

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Sounds like he's trying to intimidate people into not signing.
One might feel a certain way on the subject, but not necessary
express their opinions strongly to friends and neighbors.
And certainly not care to have someone shouting your name in public and telling everyone what a bad person your for calling for a vote to legalize that "E-Vil Demon Liquor"
That's why there is a secret ballot when we vote.
Yes, it's pure intimidation, no question about it.
:ohmy:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16042

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
In my opinion, there is only one way to interpret that ad. It was definitely an attempt to scare people away from signing a perfectly legal petition. Good thing he wasn't elected to City Council

Re: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16043

• docziggy
  • Gold Boarder
I don't live inside the SS city limits or I would sign it just to get my name in the paper. It is hard staying relevant these days and Scott just charges too much for me to drop in my name like that. This would solve my anonymity problem for a while. Be sure and spell my name correctly: Doc Ziggy. Thank you for your support.

Re: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16044

• anon
  • Platinum Boarder
I really wish I could sign the petitions. And not that anyone would care one way or the other, but I would have no objections at all for my name to be published in his ad. You don't have to be a drinker to realize how much money alcohol sales would bring, and benefit the city, if they put that income to the proper uses.

It doesn't matter how stiff the laws get, there will always be those stupid people that drive while under the influence. With the stiffer laws though, many just don't want to risk having a drink and then driving home, so we do our drinking at home only. Personally, we don't drink very often, but we do keep a pretty well stocked bar, and having it has not turned us into drunks. We always try our best to keep our purchases local, but we will continue to go elsewhere for liquor if it doesn't pass, as will everyone else. At some point, I think it will eventually pass.

Re: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16045

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
I am just returning from being out of town for a few days. Wow, what a difference those days can make! So,Mr. Oxford is trying to intimidate those of us who signed the petitions. I feel he can go on and threaten us. It's rather sad that someone so intent in trying to be so intimidating, can be such a force in stopping something, yet be a "thorn" in so many sides". It won't change things. It is only angering folks. I feel he thinks he is SO right, but he is making such a fool of himself. He is so intent in stopping something from happening, that he has lost focus. He has angered so many people that he will not be welcomed in many areas. I admire him for his zealous attack, but feel rather sorry for him.He could use such ardor on other projects. I realize he isn't the only one who is against this thing, but he/they need(s) to know that people will have their alcoholic beverages no matter what. We might as well keep those tax dollars within this community. We are not going to rot in Hades because of this issue. I watched my own hometown go from "dry" to "wet", and nothing has changed. The tax dollars have really benefited the community. Crime is not up; it is about the same.

Re: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16046

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
Oxford was also quite amusing during his brief stint on the council when he went on his flouridation rants. Can't wait till his paid ad comes out, "exposing" the people who signed the petition. I hope he puts mine in capital letters.

Re: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16047

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
It will be interesting to see how much he will have to pay for the ad. They don't come "cheap". If there are a great amount of names, it will be costly if the names are to be readable. Otherwise, we will have to "break out" the magnifying glasses!!

Re: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16048

• grasshopper
  • Expert Boarder
"Expose" us? "Print" our names?
This is carrying Obama's current Socalist agenda just a little too far.

Print it big enough to read.
signed,
"JOHN HANCOCK"

Re: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16049

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Why am I thinking that lots of people are now going to sign up... just to drive up the cost of publishing all the names. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16050

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
I am so glad you are such a positive person, Stan. This is becoming a rather interesting tale of interest. Some folks have received some form of letter regarding their signing the petitions. Two friends, who work at one of the restaurants that serve alcoholic beverages, told me this past Sat. They had received a letter. Didn't get to see it or see who had sent it, but they were quite angered that they had gotten a letter and reflected that it was rather presumptuous for them to receive this message. It was a busy night, so I didn't ask anything else regarding the issue.

Re: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16051

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
Was it the restaurant, or the individuals who worked at the restaurant? This is very troublesome, in a lot of ways. I would like to know more about it.

Re: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16052

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
Sorry to be so tardy in getting back to you, but I wanted to get the proper information. It was the workers who received the letter. I was told it was like a "stand down" approach and it was sent by Charles Oxford. Someone I was talking to tonight suggested getting the Dallas media involved. We are being intimidated, but there are too many folks that are hard-headed not to be intimidated. How sad to have things come to this. I wonder is he going to send letters to all of us? Apparently, one of these individuals were real early signers.

Re: Charles Oxford's Ad In News Telegram 2 years 1 month ago #16053

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
There are apparently other letters sent out - one woman posted the one she received on Facebook.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu