Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Grand Jury

Grand Jury 2 years 7 months ago #15952

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Growing up in SS during the 60s.... I don't remember the grand juries of that time indicting so many people. Is it that I just wasn't paying attention to such things, or is there more things going on today that warrant grand jury action?
:huh:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Grand Jury 2 years 7 months ago #15956

• new2country
  • Senior Boarder
I'm going to wager a guess at this... :dry:

I think it must be more of a time/money saver than anything else. Gone are the days when a single judge presided over all of the cases. It would require more judges to be hired and more time to go through all of the cases. Grand Jury's make sense for this purpose.

Re: Grand Jury 2 years 7 months ago #15960

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
new2country wrote:
I'm going to wager a guess at this... :dry:

I think it must be more of a time/money saver than anything else. Gone are the days when a single judge presided over all of the cases. It would require more judges to be hired and more time to go through all of the cases. Grand Jury's make sense for this purpose.

From your post I am not sure if you know what the purpose of the grand jury is. It does not take the place of a trial or a trial judge, but rather is a process that has long been a part of the judicial process to assure that there is enough evidence for the prosecution to proceed to trial.

Stan, think about all the changes in our lives since the 60s. The widespread use of drugs alone accounts for more cases being filed not only for the possession and sale, but also for the criminal acts that users commit to obtain funds for the purchase of drugs.

We also may have been more naive in the 60s, or at least a bit more sheltered by the adults back then. Did the paper even publish the grand jury activities then, and did we, as youngsters then, care.

Re: Grand Jury 2 years 7 months ago #15961

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
That's kind of what I figured... these days there is a lot more people in trouble with the justice system. I don't remember this much criminal activity growing up in SS. :(
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu