Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Christmas Decorations

Christmas Decorations 2 years 10 months ago #15898

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
:(

Afraid I won't be able to visit SS this Christmas season...
Anyone have any pictures of the down town decorations they would like to share on the Forum?
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Christmas Decorations 2 years 10 months ago #15909

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm gonna piggyback on Stan's post to ask a question/make a comment.

We need a new decorating committee downtown. Really.
I LOVE downtown's that are decorated and I appreciate the hard work that goes into the decorations on Main Street. But the lights flashing to the music is ..... well ..... bad. It is really bad. There is no class there. It looks great on a yard like the Gideon's or the one off of College Street, but not downtown. We don't need dancing lights ... just turn the things on and play the music.

Also, remember years back when we had decorations on every pole down Gilmer? Angels and such? Remember when the square was lit up so wonderfully?

We need it back.

Yes, this is a rambling rant .... but dang going downtown this Christmas season just made me sick.

oh ... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!!! :cheer:

Re: Christmas Decorations 2 years 10 months ago #15914

• tjs
  • Gold Boarder
To each his own. We enjoy the lights on Main St. Actually keeps me from making a detour to avoid that narrow street altogether. Roll down the windows no matter what the weather is and try to sing along if we can. Making memories with the kids.

What about the beautiful tree on the square? The gingerbread house/doll house? The sleigh? We LOVE the night with the ice slide, bounce houses, ponies, fire barrels and hot chocolate. What a great chance to enjoy the season and see a few folks you know. A lot of work goes into that weekend, and most of it is free. The pony rides and drinks from vendors are quite reasonable. Another family memory-making night for us.

I will agree that I wish the decorating extended beyond what's there, but it makes you sick to go downtown? Wow.

Re: Christmas Decorations 2 years 9 months ago #15915

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
tjs wrote:
To each his own. We enjoy the lights on Main St. Actually keeps me from making a detour to avoid that narrow street altogether. Roll down the windows no matter what the weather is and try to sing along if we can. Making memories with the kids.

What about the beautiful tree on the square? The gingerbread house/doll house? The sleigh? We LOVE the night with the ice slide, bounce houses, ponies, fire barrels and hot chocolate. What a great chance to enjoy the season and see a few folks you know. A lot of work goes into that weekend, and most of it is free. The pony rides and drinks from vendors are quite reasonable. Another family memory-making night for us.

I will agree that I wish the decorating extended beyond what's there, but it makes you sick to go downtown? Wow.

"Sick"? ... Ok, i got carried away there. But yes, the flashing lights did get my stomach turning a time or too.

Maybe it was all the construction. But I felt like this Christmas our town was severely lacking on Christmas decorations, i.e., spirit. It wasn't near the display we have put forth in years past.

Re: Christmas Decorations 2 years 9 months ago #15929

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
hey stan, i thought of you recently when we vacationed in hawaii. i decided while there that i could deal with retirement really well. well, if money were no object, that is.

the weather was absolutely perfect, the beauty of the place was incredible. i'm completely jealous of you that you get to live there full time!

Re: Christmas Decorations 2 years 9 months ago #15931

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Warm Weather?
:blink:
Are you kidding, we've been having un-seasonably COLD weather.
It's 9:00 AM and I'm sitting here with a jacket on. It's just 73 degrees. Last night it got all the way down to 71. Too cold for the beach today.
:silly:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re: Christmas Decorations 2 years 8 months ago #15943

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
StanWright wrote:
Warm Weather?
:blink:
Are you kidding, we've been having un-seasonably COLD weather.
It's 9:00 AM and I'm sitting here with a jacket on. It's just 73 degrees. Last night it got all the way down to 71. Too cold for the beach today.
:silly:

I really think I DESPISE you Stan!! :P

Re: Christmas Decorations 2 years 3 months ago #16069

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
I agree, jb. Especially considering the heat Texas has got going on right now. It's not as bad as last year (at least the drought's over for awhile now).

i swear the older i get the less i can handle hot weather.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu