Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why This Avatar?

Why This Avatar? 2 years 9 months ago #15863

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
:)
Why did you choose that picture for your avatar? You know, the little picture by your name. The one we all recognize as you when you post a question or comment... Tell us a story.

My Avatar is a Navy patch from VF202. We had F-14 Tomcat aircraft, and the Squadron motto was "Anytime Y'all"... And being based at NAS Dallas... the Texas flag. Note the "Tomcat" wearing the gunfighter pistols and cowboy hat.
I just thought it was kind of cute. :laugh:

Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by StanWright.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Why This Avatar? 2 years 9 months ago #15865

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk.
Mine is a lighthouse. Actually I change it from time to time, always a lighthouse, but sometimes I use a different one. I love lighthouses. I collect them, they are all over my house. I got into lighthouses when I was going through a very rough time in my life and the song 'The Lighthouse', (especially the verse that says, 'If it wasn't for the lighthouse, tell me where would this ship be) came on the radio and it sorta became my 'theme song' and eventually I began collecting them. Anyway, that's the story behind my avatar. :)
Guilt is concerned with the past. Worry is concerned about the future. Contentment enjoys the present.

Re: Why This Avatar? 2 years 9 months ago #15866

Mine is the cover of one of my all-time favorite books, "Bridge of Birds." It's an obscure little book ... one of trilogy ... by Barry Hughart. It's about a village in China. The children are put under an evil spell and it's up to a young man (Number Ten Ox) to find someone to break the spell before the children die. Help comes in the form of Master Li ... an ancient wise man who loves wine, women and danger ... he introduces himself like this: "My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao and there's a slight flaw in my character."

I want that on my tombstone. B)

I found the book in 1984 and have read it at least once a year since. It never fails to take my breath away, make me laugh out loud and shed a few tears at the end.

"May your villages remain ignorant of tax collectors, and may your sons be many and ugly and strong and willing workers, and may your daughters be few and beautiful and excellent providers of love gifts from eminent families that live very far away, and may your lives be blessed by the beauty that has touched mine."

Re: Why This Avatar? 2 years 9 months ago #15868

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
A.J. , because of your description of the book, I have now ordered it! I trust you and will read it. Although, there are about 20 books in line waiting for me to read!! You know how I like diverse things when I read. I now have to find an avatar that matches my personality. Albeit, that may prove to be an unusual search. I feel sure that will provide you and Stan a chuckle or two. LOL (That's both Laugh Out Loud and Lots of Love.)

Re: Why This Avatar? 2 years 9 months ago #15869

Hope you like, it PC .... it's not for everyone, but it's PURRfect for me. ;)

Re: Why This Avatar? 2 years 9 months ago #15870

• kat2jab
  • Senior Boarder
Just wanted to show what I like to do because my online name was given to me by the admin when there were all those computer hackings and problems were happening.

Even though I am a teacher, I have been a mechanic and love to weld, especially artistic metal sculptures. This is one of those public domain clip-art pictures that can be used online. Even with the clip-art picture, this fits what I would like to do when I retire: be the crazy, bearded old man who makes all those strange metal sculptures in the house with the barn full of scrap metal. :laugh:

Re: Why This Avatar? 2 years 9 months ago #15874

• anon
  • Platinum Boarder
My avatar is one of the many pictures I took from my trip to Maui. Eleven glorious days spent relaxing with my sister-in-law and her husband. The only thing missing from the trip was my better half. Some day, we will both go back.

Re: Why This Avatar? 2 years 9 months ago #15877

Anon. I love that shot. My mom lived over there a few years back ... right across the street from Kami II Beach. She was in paradise. I want to take Mr. Mathews and my son there ... my father's buried on Oahu. So glad you were there for such a long time. :-)

Re: Why This Avatar? 2 years 8 months ago #15911

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
My avatar got erased a while back and I forgot how to put it back on!!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu