LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion Extra Curriculars for Kiddos.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Extra Curriculars for Kiddos.

Extra Curriculars for Kiddos. 3 years 5 days ago #15691

• Namaste
  • Fresh Boarder
There aren't many extra curricular programs for young kids in Sulphur Springs. There is Gymnastics, Dance, and Taekwondo. There are also sports but those aren't year round. Let's face it. Kids need to be more well rounded, just playing baseball doesn't cut it.

Another thing is; if you have more than one child and you want to put your kids in one of the three mentioned activities it is around $50 a month. So for those with 3 kiddos, that's $150 and in this economy some find that hard.

I was wondering what other parents think about an art program. A 2 hour class once a week. Always having a craft, painting, etc to take home or add to the gallery. $25 a month for a 2 hour session once a week. The money would entirely go to supplies and program funding and the staff would be volunteers with art experience. Five dollar discount with each additional child.

At the beginning of the program children can buy their own smocks/aprons to decorate how they wish...they would need to bring them back each time.

After being in the program, some of the kids could visit local school with instructors and possibly do a program with them. The older children could get involved and even teach the younger classes sometimes. In addition they would learn about recycling products and turning them into art. The class would not only teach expression but help with self esteem, the sense of community, and leadership skills.

Would anyone be interested? I know several handfuls of people who would be interest but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Thanks for taking the time.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Extra Curriculars for Kiddos. 3 years 3 days ago #15702

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
Sounds like a good program. Why don't you approach the boys and girls club and start working with the kids there first to test the waters.

Re: Extra Curriculars for Kiddos. 2 years 11 months ago #15711

• new2country
  • Senior Boarder
I disagree about the lack of activities. There are quite a few extra curricular activities for kids in Sulphur Springs. I moved here from a large city and there are almost as many options here as there. Don't forget 4H, Boy/girl scouts, youth groups, Church groups... as well as the other paid activities you mentioned. (I pay about 4x what you estimated for gymnastics, it does get expensive.)

I, however, do agree that the program you mentioned does sound like fun for younger kids. I'm not sure if I've ever heard the idea of an "art" youth group before. I'd be interested if you begin such a program.

Re: Extra Curriculars for Kiddos. 2 years 11 months ago #15713

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
I remember my friends and I taking "art" classes some 50 years ago.
An artist on College St. I don't remember her name.
My Mom took art classes (oils) in the '70s and 80s.
Now days I'm taking water color classes at the Senior Center. :laugh:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by StanWright.

Re: Extra Curriculars for Kiddos. 2 years 11 months ago #15716

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
The Boys & Girls Club is a good call. That is what they do there (I believe).

As far as there not being enough activities for kids, I disagree totally. Ask around -- most parents can't find time in the evening for just "family" because the kids are doing so much. I know our family can't!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu