Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Price Gouging!

Price Gouging! 3 years 4 months ago #15678

• buckrack8
  • Expert Boarder
I think the Texas Att General and the Ag Commissioner need to look into the price people are charging for hay. Such as $ 85 to $110 a roll.I know price and demand determines price, but this crazy! When a hurricane hits the coast price gougers are prosecuted. This drought is a natural disaster like a hurricane. Whats the difference? People who use hay also produce food. If this drought continues what are you going to pay for a Whataburger?
We are in dire straits, but people don't realize it!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Price Gouging! 3 years 4 months ago #15679

• kat2jab
  • Senior Boarder
buck,

I can sympathize with you, but I just have to disagree with hay prices as the result of price gouging. It is simply supply/demand. Check gasoiline futures for real price gouging.

Back in the middle 1980's, I was paying $20 for fertilized bermuda round bales weighing 1100-1500 lbs. Then the big drought hit. Dairy farmers were importing hay. I ended up paying $75 for loose packed hay (800 to 900 lb bales) that was from the previous year's first cutting (lots of trash and weeds). Horse quality fertilized bermuda was sold at $100 roll individually or cheaper if bought in bulk. That was 25 years ago. Lack of rain is tough on farmers and will eventually be felt in the stores.

Re: Price Gouging! 3 years 4 months ago #15681

• crazytxmom
  • Fresh Boarder
If they're shipping hay in from other states (I seem to remember hay being shipped in from as far away as Nebraska during another drought several years ago), then that could be a huge factor in the price increase as well. Fuel to ship the hay is not cheap.

This drought is covering the whole region, so local farmers aren't able to produce much of anything (if they can produce anything at all), and I seriously doubt they're making enough money to cover their expenses. They're hurting financially too.

I am not a farmer (was a horse owner a few years ago), but this is how I see the situation. I can understand your frustration... if I still had my 4 horses, I don't know how I would have been able to afford to feed them with this drought, My 12-acre pasture was adequate in normal years...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu