Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Burn Ban?

Burn Ban? 3 years 1 month ago #15580

• buckrack8
  • Expert Boarder
Are we under a burn ban?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Burn Ban? 3 years 1 month ago #15581

• tjs
  • Gold Boarder
Not yet. I fully expected one before the 4th of July fireworks. Now that we've had this rain, I'm not sure. It has been SO windy and dry that I think it's not a bad idea.

Re: Burn Ban? 3 years 1 month ago #15583

• anon
  • Platinum Boarder
I saw something the other day that said the whole state was under alert. I assumed that meant complete burn ban statewide. Maybe I am mistaken, it wouldn't be the first time. Typically, if I want to burn, I call the sheriff's office to find out if there is a burn ban, and at the same time, let them know I am going to have a controlled burn. If anyone drives by and calls in a fire, they already know it is controlled and will not dispatch the fire department, unless I call and request assistance.

Re: Burn Ban? 3 years 1 month ago #15585

• SmallTownGal
As of right now Hopkins County is NOT under a burn ban. Here's a map of the state with counties currently under a burn ban. I think there are 24 counties not under one right now.

tfsfrp.tamu.edu/wildfires/DecBan.png
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by SmallTownGal.

Re: Burn Ban? 3 years 1 month ago #15586

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
even if hopkins county isn't officially under a burn ban, we still need to be extremely careful with outdoor fires. everything's so dry causing it to be so dangerous - even flicking a cigarette out the car window can cause a wildfire with untold amounts of damage.
this is texas and it's summer people. think about it before you fire off a match or some fireworks. the breezes we've got now just make it all the worse.

Re: Burn Ban? 3 years 1 month ago #15587

• new2country
  • Senior Boarder
We were driving South toward the coast last week & saw a huge grass fire on the side of I-35. I thought to myself that it was likely a farmer who was burning and was not careful enough. Turns out it was caused by the heated bearings on a trailer being pulled by his tractor. Wow! Just goes to show you how dry it really is.

(BTW, off topic- South Padre Island is a really neat place. The beaches are so much better than Galveston. It's worth the trip if you have not been.)

Re: Burn Ban? 3 years 1 month ago #15589

• SmallTownGal
new2country wrote:

(BTW, off topic- South Padre Island is a really neat place. The beaches are so much better than Galveston. It's worth the trip if you have not been.)

I <3 South Padre! The hubby and I went there on our honeymoon. I hated the 12 hour drive, though. I got sick of seeing the palm trees when we got just south of Victoria, though. I told the hubby I was going to scream if our room had a palm tree outside our back porch and guess what? It did...lol. I can't wait to go again but you won't catch me dead going anywhere near there right now.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu