Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jury Duty

Jury Duty 3 years 2 months ago #15576

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Over the years I've been called for jury duty 6 or 7 times. Chosen twice.

It's really funny to sit and watch the jury being chosen. Some people don't want to be there, others have no business being there. (a 92 year old man who couldn't hear it thunder... A very expectant lady, who also couldn't understand English... and the list goes on) It's fun to listen to all the excuses people give.

It's easy to get out of jury duty if you really want to. I had a good excuse the last time. The expert witness and I were good friends, and had worked together to have strict gun crime legislation passed.

When chosen, the first thing I said to the judge was... "Well Judge, my first thought when you said this murder case involved a gun was that if we convict this guy he's going to get 20 years and there isn't a thing you can do about it." Dismissed. (the guy was found innocent, should never have been charged in the first place)

Which brings up the subject of Jury Nullification. If a jury thinks a law is not just, or in the case of the guy above... the jury can find him not guilty, no matter what the law says.

They don't tell you what your rights are as a member of the jury. When the 12 of you are locked up in that room... YOU have the last say... no matter what the judge told you that you could or couldn't do.
But there is an organization that does. The Fully Informed Jury Assoc.

If your called to jury duty, or even if your not... check out the Informed Jury
on Google. It's an interesting read.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by StanWright.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Jury Duty 3 years 2 months ago #15578

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
Can't the judge throw the decision of the jury out? Or it could be appealed to the appellate court. No one or group is really the last say, other than perhaps the Supreme Court. :dry:
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)

Re: Jury Duty 3 years 2 months ago #15582

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
There is a case here, today... the guy was charged with 1st degree murder, but the jury found him guilty of 2nd degree manslaughter.

(two drunk friends playing with a gun... also high on drugs)

He got 20 years because a gun was involved.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu