LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Map of 2 way traffic?

Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 5 months ago #15559

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Has the paper published a map showing the changes from one way to two way traffic patterns?
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 5 months ago #15560

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk.
I haven't seen a map, but the idea sorta scares me...
Guilt is concerned with the past. Worry is concerned about the future. Contentment enjoys the present.

Re: Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 5 months ago #15561

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
2 way traffic in such a confined space as the downtown square really worries me. particularly on those notorious Friday afternoons when everyone's down at the banks.....it'll be utter chaos for sure! the amount of traffic exascerbated by larger vehicles (i.e. those heavy duty pickups, the little-ol'-lady big honkin' cadillacs, etc) in that tight of a space AND then people not sure which lane or direction.....scary, mighty scary, my friends.

and what about those "back in" parking spots that caused such a hub-ub a while back? what's this going to do to them?

doesn't make me want to go to the downtown area anymore with that insanity.

Re: Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 5 months ago #15562

• buckrack8
  • Expert Boarder
I'm staying away until they get all the wrecks cleaned up!

Re: Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 5 months ago #15563

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Is it 2 way traffic around the square??? :woohoo:
or just 2 way traffic on the streets leading onto the square??? :blink:
That's why I wanted to see a map that shows the changes. :)
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re: Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 5 months ago #15564

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk.
Here's a link to what was on the front page yesterday:

www.myssnews.com/news-telegram/news/1535...-traffic-change.html

Don't know if that helps any.
Guilt is concerned with the past. Worry is concerned about the future. Contentment enjoys the present.
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by lighthousecollector.

Re: Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 5 months ago #15565

• grasshopper
  • Expert Boarder
Streets feeding into and out of the square with it's one way traffic works perfectly well just like it is. Two way traffic from side streets into that tiny conjested area should make for not only creative dodge & weave driving, but also great "Bumper Car" viewing. Apparently Kenya IS missing more than one Village Idiot.... :blink:

Re: Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 5 months ago #15567

• kat2jab
  • Senior Boarder
I am still trying to figure out how it all will work. When I was younger, Oak Ave was just a back side entrance to the jail (behind the courthouse, now gone.) Gilmer, Main, and Connally were two-way but the actual square was a type of one-way roundabout. The street actually came through part of the paved brick section that is in front of the courthouse.

The only major problem was the drivers who were trying to get back into traffic after entering the tunnel-like drive-through at Sul. Sprgs. State Bank at Church and Jefferson intersection.

So far, this redesign and the presentation of the actual crossings resembles the military acronyms SNAFU which might lead to the square being FUBAR.

Re: Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 5 months ago #15570

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
It looks like a consensus here. With all of the existing parking and pedestrians trying to cross, it's hard to picture two lanes in different directions.

If we were attempting to make the downtown a touristy draw, you would want to restrict or at least limit traffic in the town's center. :huh:
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)

Re: Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 5 months ago #15573

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
many cities & towns that have "upgraded" their downtown areas have made that area a "pedestrian only zone" and have been nicely done. im' not sure that SS will accomplish much in making the downtown square 2 way other than thwarting people from going downtown & spending money in what has been a pleasant area. the times i've been downtown SS the last few years have been really nice.....now i have to question whether or not i'll want to bother once the 2 way traffic becomes the "norm" on the square.

Re: Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 5 months ago #15592

• grasshopper
  • Expert Boarder
Today I was finally able to obtain a diagram of the "New & Improved?" town square, showing everything. It looks like the two way traffic on Oak Ave., Jefferson St., Gilmer, Main, and Church around the square all have 4 way stops. In other words, it appears that if you were North bound (approaching Main & College ST.) and wanted to continue around the square to head back South on the way you entered, The following would apply: 4 way stop at Main, College & Oak, continue North to 4 way stop at Jefferson & Oak, left on Jefferson to 3 way stop at Church & Jefferson, continue around to 4 way stop at Jefferson, Connally and Gilmer, left on Gilmer to 3 way stop at Gilmer & Main, left on Main to 4 way stop at oak & College, then (finally) turn back South (from your original starting point) and head out of the square. And folks, this is just to drive around the square! Additionally, the parking spaces encroaching on the town square space allotment will require folks to back out into on-coming traffic across the lanes as they leave their parking spaces. The Veterans statue is "relocated" to the East side, and a fountain is to be in the N/W corner of the square with a flag pole in the center. The fountain, square, and future maint. requirements should prove interesting, but not near as interesting as watching everyone creep slowly around the square through the two way traffic, multiple stop signs, and parking "fun zone". My main concern is the 2 way traffic and multiple stop signs & Ped. crossings around the square. What have these folks been smoking??? :blink:

Re: Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 4 months ago #15593

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
well...it makes it real simple for me. avoid the square. just because of the change in traffic.

Re: Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 4 months ago #15595

• muu
  • Gold Boarder
H & M, I think a lot of us will also avoid the square and the newly changed one-way streets back to two-way for quite a while. Let the folks who live, work, or otherwise have to drive on them, see how the new plan works out before we venture onto them.

Re: Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 4 months ago #15596

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
it's kind of sad, too. considering all the work that's been done to the downtown area to make it so much nicer than what it was - and now just to make it amost inacessable just blows all those great changes out of the water. how will it affect the downtown merchants, particularly in the long run, especially if other residents avoid the square area because of this?

Re: Map of 2 way traffic? 3 years 4 months ago #15597

• grasshopper
  • Expert Boarder
So, Maxwell wants to "slow" traffic around the square so we can "see" all the buildings all around? How does he possibly think this conjested fiasco will help the downtown merchants? (The ones that are left....). Or the banks for that matter. Get a grip Maxwell. This ain't California, and we like it that way! The square is not that big. You could throw a coin across it. I'll bet 95% of the people driving through it now are only heading for one of the other adjoining streets instead of the square. As for the current parking, lots of the spaces are being taken by employees and they will still need to park somewhere after the downtown "remodel". Guess I'll move my banking to one of the other out bound branches and will drive through the mess downtown on the square only if I absolutely need to. :dry:
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu