LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion ISD Purchasing Civic Center?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ISD Purchasing Civic Center?

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 4 months ago #15588

• new2country
  • Senior Boarder
I understand the difference between a bond and an operating budget, but the timing on this stinks even if one feels it is a good idea. Take it from someone who's wife worried every day for the last 3 months of school that she would get laid off. Now spend money on something (in my opinion) as frivolous as an additional glorified auditorium? What is the school board smoking?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 4 months ago #15590

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
If the school district buys the cc, how will this effect events that take place there that aren't school related? The school will have the authority to deny any event that don't see as 'fit' to hold on school property. Plus, it will fall under state and federal laws on what events can be held on school property.

As an example, is it legal to have a gun show on school property? I don't think so.

Say a band wants to play in the cc, what if a few school board members don't like them and decide not to allow them to use it? They will have a right to prevent it, since they own it.

Does anyone have a link to an article or something where this is being considered, I'd like to read it and see what there approach is.

Lastly, where in the heck are they/did they come up with the money for something like this? Another bond? (Since they are maxed on on how much taxes they can get, yes they are at the maximum allowable tax rate.)

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 4 months ago #15591

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
sniper101 wrote:
If the school district buys the cc, how will this effect events that take place there that aren't school related? The school will have the authority to deny any event that don't see as 'fit' to hold on school property. Plus, it will fall under state and federal laws on what events can be held on school property.

As an example, is it legal to have a gun show on school property? I don't think so.

Say a band wants to play in the cc, what if a few school board members don't like them and decide not to allow them to use it? They will have a right to prevent it, since they own it.

Does anyone have a link to an article or something where this is being considered, I'd like to read it and see what there approach is.

Lastly, where in the heck are they/did they come up with the money for something like this? Another bond? (Since they are maxed on on how much taxes they can get, yes they are at the maximum allowable tax rate.)

You raise some excellent points. What about activities such as the Cattle Baron's Ball and other fund raisers where adult beverages are served?

Here is the agenda for a Monday Meeting of the Hopkins County Commissioner's court.
DATE: Monday, June 27, 2011
TIME: 11:30 P.M.
PLACE: Hopkins County Civic Center Located At 1200 A Houston Street, Sulphur Springs, TX.

ORDER OF BUSINESS
1. The Court To Meet With Members Of The Sulphur Springs Independent School District Board To Discuss The Civic Center Auditorium.

I hope they meant 11:30am.

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 4 months ago #15594

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
Just to be clear, the school isn't talking about buying the civic center .... just acquiring the auditorium. (By the way, there hasn't been a Cattle Baron's Ball in years).

And I'm not sure the school wants to "buy" anything. It's probably more like "take over" the auditorium. B)

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 4 months ago #15598

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
They can't just "take over" the auditorium, not to mention they really want the county to just give it to them. I would say they could lease it, but a dollar a year would hardly cover maintenance and if they owned it, where is the district going to squeeze out the funds to do it themselves?

Then I also read in there where they have been exploring building their own auditorium? Where were they planning on getting that money?

When is ssisd going to focus more on really educating the kids and stop focusing on building and acquiring more and new buildings?

They still hold events other than school related in there don't they? I didn't see anything about how the school would handle "other than school related events," especially the ones they don't agree with or are not allowed by law to be held on school property.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by sniper101. Reason: change rent to lease
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu