LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion ISD Purchasing Civic Center?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ISD Purchasing Civic Center?

ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15525

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk.
So, what do you all think about this?
Guilt is concerned with the past. Worry is concerned about the future. Contentment enjoys the present.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15526

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, 60 years ago public events were held in the gym of the HS. I guess that events could be held at the newest HS if they owned the civic center.

For one thing, the HS would get first crack at booking all their school events.(graduation) :P

Wonder who determines what events are politically correct at the moment... and would the policy change that much if the school owned the building?
:huh:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15528

• SmallTownGal
They're not considering the purchase of the entire Civic Center. It's just the Auditorium. The Rodeo Arena would still belong to the County. Or that's my understanding.

As for thoughts...I think it's a waste of money.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by SmallTownGal.

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15532

• Queen Bee
  • Senior Boarder
The School District uses the Auditorium a lot during the School Year.

They would have to deal with everyone else wanting to Rent it out for Concerts and Stuff. Lots of Maintenance, too.

But, It would take a lot off of the Civic Center Board and Employees.

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15536

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
StanWright wrote:
Well, 60 years ago public events were held in the gym of the HS. I guess that events could be held at the newest HS if they owned the civic center.

For one thing, the HS would get first crack at booking all their school events.(graduation) :P

Wonder who determines what events are politically correct at the moment... and would the policy change that much if the school owned the building?
:huh:

Graduations are held in the Rodeo arena - auditorium holds just under 1600 people. It would be good for assemblies, district wide convocations etc. Also smaller concerts and plays.

If they're expecting the CC to make money - they're dead wrong. Civic Centers do NOT make profits. They are basically here as a service to the community, and bring visitors from out of town to contribute to the local economy.

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15542

• buckrack8
  • Expert Boarder
I thought when the cc was built that there was some kind of agreement with the school that allowed the school to use the auditorium.
There was also an agreement to allow county 4H and FFA kids to hold a stock show, so they tore down the old show barn.
I guess these agreements were lost

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15544

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm thinking that if this is true, then it most likely stems from the recent issue they had with scheduling graduation for either this year or next year. There was a conflict and the ISD couldn't get the CC at a convenient time for graduation.

Kind of knee-jerk reaction if you ask me, going to the trouble of buying the CC auditorium. I don't recall the school using it THAT much while I went to SSHS....maybe some awards presentations, a couple plays, graduation, what, maybe a half dozen times during the year? Maybe? Seems like a huge expense for minimal usage.

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15551

• tjs
  • Gold Boarder
It can't have ANYTHING to do with graduation. Graduation is in the rodeo arena, the SSISD is only talking about buying the auditorium.

I don't know why they want to do it, the pros and cons, etc., but it's not about graduation. The auditorium is not nearly large enough for everyone that comes to graduation. It's totally packed in the rodeo arena...3500+ ppl?

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15554

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
I think the school does have an agreement for a certain number of days. Buying the auditorium wouldn't have anything to do with graduation. They'd still need the arena, and now may have to pay for it. I think the auditorium idea is a bad one. Money doesn't grow on trees, and the school board should move very slowly on this issue.

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15555

• muu
  • Gold Boarder
Dave, I agree with you. The school has no business buying that auditorium. They contributed funds from the high school's building budget back when it was constructed. 1977 or 78??
SSISD has enough to worry about without having responsibility for scheduling events at the Civic Center and keeping up with the maintenance.

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15556

• buckrack8
  • Expert Boarder
The cost of the auditorium would pay salaries of several teachers.

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15571

• Sammie
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't understand why people don't recognize the fact that the bond election, which originally brought me to this forum, was excessive enough to allow such ideas to propogate.

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15572

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
sammie, you're saying that the original bond election was merely a "door" to more (fanciful) expenses being proposed by the school board or school administrators?

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15574

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
You get what you elect. This school board has absolutely no problem spending other peoples money.

Not too long ago I read they are going to have to make all these spending cuts, now all of a sudden they can afford a Civic Center to go along with the "practice" Coliseum they just built, the new school they are building, the soccer/track field they may or may not actually finish, by the way did the "practice field" really need a huge flat screen in the exercise room?

If it is REALLY a "multi-purpose" building then why can't they have events in there? Because it really only serves one purpose, football.

EDIT: The rest was not worth printing, except the agreeing with Sammie part.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by sniper101.

Re: ISD Purchasing Civic Center? 3 years 2 months ago #15579

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by dave_k60. Reason: changed my mind
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu