Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: E-mail Virus

E-mail Virus 3 years 3 months ago #15368

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
I have been getting many E mails supposedly from UPS, FedEx, and DHL. They claim I have a package coming. They direct me to open an attachment to the E mail. My security software says there is a virus in attachment.

Just a heads up here, folks. It's fun to get packages and it's easy to let your guard down. :(
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:E-mail Virus 3 years 3 months ago #15369

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the heads up. I'll warn my Windows using friends and family. Out of curiosity what AntiVirus software do you run?

Another reason I switched from Windows. If I download a virus by accident, it just sits there. It won't run on my OS. File permissions kill any hopes it has, plus they are wrote for Windows anyway.

Re:E-mail Virus 3 years 3 months ago #15370

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
sniper101 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I'll warn my Windows using friends and family. Out of curiosity what AntiVirus software do you run?

Another reason I switched from Windows. If I download a virus by accident, it just sits there. It won't run on my OS. File permissions kill any hopes it has, plus they are wrote for Windows anyway.

Hey, Sniper,

Currently, I m using McAfee. I 'm not a techie so have to depend on such things.

The E mails are sloppy if you look at them. There are misspellings and poor syntax. Not sure what kind of nutcase enjoys doing this. :unsure:
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)

Re:E-mail Virus 3 years 3 months ago #15371

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
I'm using AVG now - I'm pretty happy with it. FYI - the latest edition of Consumer Reports has a great article about viruses, trojans, ID-theft type emails and basically all types of online security. It even has a special section on social networking sites, and the problems it can cause. I heartily recommend it.

Re:E-mail Virus 3 years 3 months ago #15372

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
Gabrovic wrote:
Hey, Sniper,

Currently, I m using McAfee. I 'm not a techie so have to depend on such things.

The E mails are sloppy if you look at them. There are misspellings and poor syntax. Not sure what kind of nutcase enjoys doing this. :unsure:

It's good that McAfee caught it, I never had any luck with it. What you said about the "look" of it is very good to recognize. That is one of the main things you should do. I can't remember where, but there is a security site that you take a test on and most of it is being able to tell the difference between real and fake sites. It's usually very, very minor. Misspelled words are KEY! It could be just one word on a whole page, that should set a flag up immediately. Though no one is a perfect speller real companies are adamant about spelling and such. Good job on that!

As far as being technosavy, anyone with a little time and patience can learn what I have learned. I just ask the experts when I can't work something out.

I hope that the telegram won't consider this spam. The BEST thing to use if you think you have a virus, spyware, or anything bad on your Windows based computer is to run a free program that MOST computer shops use. They just don't usually tell you they use it. It can destroy even the toughest bad stuff. It's called MalwareBytes, and it's absolutely FREE! You have to do the updates manually, which is easy just press the update button. The free version isn't much different than the paid version. The paid version does auto-updates and has one or two more features than the free version. It's the best on the market. If you buy it, you only pay ONCE, it's yours forever!!! No yearly renewals. I have both versions.

www.malwarebytes.org/

Re:E-mail Virus 3 years 3 months ago #15373

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
As far as being technosavy, anyone with a little time and patience can learn what I have learned. I just ask the experts when I can't work something out.

Patience, there's the rub. I think instant coffee is waaay too slow. (:>)

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the Malware!

Re:E-mail Virus 3 years 3 months ago #15376

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
Gabrovic wrote:

Patience, there's the rub. I think instant coffee is waaay too slow. (:>)

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the Malware!

you just reminded me what my sister says about patience :
patience is a virtue.
i am not a virtuous woman.

:P

Re: E-mail Virus 3 years 3 months ago #15382

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Just got a virus this week. It pretends to be an anti-virus scan that has detected a trougen horse virus... and if you BUY the offered anti-virus stuff it will be able to get rid of what's attaching your computer....
Just give us your credit card number... :woohoo:

The bad thing is it won't let you access any controles on your computer... we had to put a virus "killer" program on a CD and using another operation attack and kill it.

Don't know exactly how I got the virus, (email or a web site visit) but it's a new one and a really tough one to get rid of according to the computer repair guys.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re: E-mail Virus 3 years 3 months ago #15391

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
Stan,
I feel for you. That IS one TOUGH trojan/virus. I had a couple of family members do the same thing. They where browsing and the page redirected, it showed their "My Computer" page in the browser alerting them they had viruses in various folders, "Click here to scan and remove". Or something similar to that.

It's a pretty nasty one I must say. It actually stopped their anti-virus cold in its tracks. Nothing was accessible, every time they clicked on anything it gave an alert that what ever they clicked on was infected, even their av software, and shut down everything they tried to do. They called me and I checked it out, then I had to laugh (not to be mean though, I laugh because it is a clever trojan/virus).

Here is what I did, now this was a year ago and I'm sure the malicious coders may have worked around it, but I kind of doubt it since this utilizes "safe mode."
1. Got my virus free windows box. (Didn't run Linux at the time.)
2. Installed the MalwareBytes installation file to a flash drive.(For those not aware, when you download a new program that's the installation file. The one you click that starts setting up the program to install on your computer.) There is another way to do this, but this should work, if not I have a workaround for it.
3. Started their computer in "safe mode, without networking." What this does is stop programs from loading at boot, thus stopping the trojan/virus from auto-loading at start-up. (Most times this works, if not I have a workaround for this too.)
4. Installed MalwareBytes on their computer, in safe mode, and ran a deep scan. I think it found a hundred or so viruses and the trojans themselves.
5. Restarted the computer, and SHAZAM! I won the fight, no more trojans, viruses, tracking cookies, spyware, etc.

For informational purposes:
When you try and close a page like that (malicious ones) in a browser a pop up will appear saying something similar to this, "Are you sure you wish to navigate away from this page".. and so on. DON'T click on it either. Open task manager and let it "terminate the browser." ctrl+alt+delete will open task manager or a screen that let's you select task manager.
Firefox browser has several add-ons that help too. NoScript add-on stops scripts from running, as they can sometimes be bad scripts. Only allow scripts to run on websites you know and trust. The information listed below will also help with the ones that redirect you to another page, as what happened to my family members and possibly Stan.
In Firefox, go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Accessibility section, and then tick the check box labeled as "Warn me when web sites try to redirect or reload the page."

I have to ask, out of curiosity, how much did they charge for their services?

If anyone runs into a virus they can't get rid of, I will help you to the best of my ability. My services are free and will always be free. Just contact me at the e-mail listed below. If any one at the telegram feels this is spam just let me know and I will promptly remove it. The information above is, what I consider necessary in todays world.

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

EDIT: Removed picture of Firefox settings.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by sniper101.

Re: E-mail Virus 3 years 3 months ago #15392

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
That's the one.... what he said. :laugh:
I don't know the cost yet, he is still working on my regular computer.
(It has other issues) Till then I'm on the little "acer". I need a magnifing glass to read this thing I have no idea how people read an iPhone :blink: .
Will let you know.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re: E-mail Virus 3 years 3 months ago #15398

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
This is what happens when you try and run this version of the virus in Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu has NO antivirus software!!!!!

Re:E-mail Virus 3 years 3 months ago #15416

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
dave_k60 wrote:
I'm using AVG now - I'm pretty happy with it. FYI - the latest edition of Consumer Reports has a great article about viruses, trojans, ID-theft type emails and basically all types of online security. It even has a special section on social networking sites, and the problems it can cause. I heartily recommend it.

Sorry for the delayed reply. AVG does fairly good. It stops a good bit, and most people use the free version(I believe the free version is the most used in the world). You should still do a weekly scan with MalwareBytes, it eliminates everything AVG misses.(Same with McAfee and Norton. Never got viruses, malware, etc with Zone Alarm Extreme.) Zone Alarm also has introduced a social network monitor, haven't had any experience with it.

This is my setup now, on the rare occasion I use Windows, since budgets are tight and the bad guys are persistent. I use Zone Alarm(Free edition) + Avast Anti Virus(free edition) backed up by MalwareBytes.(Pro edition). I bought pro years ago and it never needs renewing once purchased. Free edition works great but you have to update and scan manually.

Like I said before, I use Linux 99% of the time and there aren't any viruses for it and requires no AntiVirus, the firewall is built in and can be user modified or you can write your own iptable rules. I prefer using "ufw" which comes with the distribution I use. It stands for "uncomplicated firewall" and configures the iptables for you.

Enough rambling.

Another good Linux distro is Linux Mint 10, same thing applies on av and firewall. It's a lot better for Linux beginners.

EDIT: I ran into a guy at work and he got a similar virus that Stan got. They charged him $129 and used MalwareBytes to clean it off.

Re:E-mail Virus 3 years 3 months ago #15429

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm not trying to spam, this is a pretty good freebie.

I was checking out the latest free firewall+antivirus software. There is a company named Comodo. For a limited time they are offering Comodo Internet Security Pro free for a year. It is normally $50.

I have it on an XP and seems to be ok doing well. It's worth checking out.

www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/fr...nternet-security.php

Re:E-mail Virus 3 years 3 months ago #15430

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
On another note.

I can't find any virus sites. I keep trying to find one so I can look at their code. I guess if I wasn't looking I could find one. LOL!!

Re:E-mail Virus 3 years 2 months ago #15497

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
OK, just clicked on the Sulphur Graphs tab and noticed that they are authenticated by COMODO.

I also found the MS Tool Removal trojan, on a windows machine I have. I am in the process of decompiling it and looking at how it works. It's fairly simple to remove, refer to an earlier post I made. This is what it looks like, a newer version anyway. There is another one I have been trying to get, but it doesn't like my OS. I'll get it eventually.

The image below is a picture of the trojan, disguised to be authentic anti-virus software. If you run across this, use task manager to close the browser, as clicking anywhere on it seems to download it. Be aware that a lot of people are getting this by clicking on google images.

Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by sniper101.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu