Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: SpamBots

SpamBots 3 years 7 months ago #15164

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
I notice the spambots are at it again. I know the the paper uses Joomla!, so I know there is an extension that would probably help slow them down. I know that the code the spammers are using is designed to bypass most Joomla! extensions, such as the Captcha extensions, well actually the code they are using can actually read those obscured words around 5 or 6 characters, so it won't be too long before they are able to read 6 to 8 characters.

I have read of some other snippets of code I hear are pretty effective, but they seem to be mods to the core system(basically a hack, but Joomla! is open source so you are allowed to hack the core system).

They may have to just breakdown and approve everyone that is trying to register. I thought they where doing that when I signed up. I remember registering then having to wait for admin approval before posting, not sure if that's the case anymore.

I notice the site is using Joomla! 1.5, I wonder if the recent update to Joomla! 1.6.1 has any changes that may help, then again 1.5 extensions are still being converted and tested for compatibility in 1.6.

Sorry to ramble, I realise most might not even know what I'm talking about.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by sniper101. Reason: change next to last line for clarity
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:SpamBots 3 years 7 months ago #15169

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
Actually, it's semi intelligible. Aren't you supposed to say something like, "the syncpak ramdam kickouts are being sysouted. Sec 404. See sys admin for further tech fog."

lol
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Gabrovic.

Re: SpamBots 3 years 7 months ago #15170

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm glad there are people like you guys who understand all this computer stuff and are fighting to get rid of Spammers. It's all Greek to me.
Please, keep up the good work.

The only "Spam" I understand comes with eggs and rice over at McD's
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by StanWright.

Re: SpamBots 3 years 6 months ago #15198

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
I mess around with this type of stuff when I get bored. It's quite interesting, and not hard to learn.

I have a pretty old box (slang for tower), it's an old HP Presario with an old AMD Athlon XP processor, crappy graphics card, basically in computer age, it's an antique. I think it was made when XP first started showing up, I think it's circa 2001-2002.

Well to cut right to it, it had the blue screen of death every time it was turned on. I didn't have the boot disk to try and salvage XP, so I turned to Linux, Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat to be exact. The thing downright FLIES with Linux. It will smoke my other box, a Dell 8300 w/ Pentium 4, ATI graphics card, windows xp sp3 and so forth.

Then I started thinking "I've got the Dell Desktop, I want my own server." So I dumped Ubuntu Desktop and installed Ubuntu Server on the oldest box I have, well second oldest. I also have an AMD K6, ran Windows 95 on it (I use D**nSmallLinux on it since the hard drive completely fried out. With DSLinux you don't even need a hard drive, it runs in the memory, pretty cool.

Installed Apache2 web server with openssl(gives you secure website abilities). Learned how all that stuff works, well still learning. I started with Joomla!1.5, then updated to Joomla!1.6. Joomla! is an open source Content Management System for building websites (Like this one we are on right here.) By the way, Ubuntu Linux is also FREE, and so is Apache2, mySql(database), and php5. I quit Joomla! and switched to Drupal 7, another open source CMS. It's less cluttered to me and easier to figure out. It's best to learn CSS and HTML so you can customise the themes, which most are free too.

Anyway, I have a website up and broadcasting and it didn't cost me anything, except spare time. You can pay someone to host a site for you, or just host it yourself with an old machine. You can register a domain really cheap, cheaper than having someone host it for you and pay for the DNS. I just use the ip address assigned to me from my provider to access my site. You do have to port the router to direct traffic to it.

Now I have Ubuntu on my 1 yr old HP laptop, I also still have Vista on here but rarely use it. You don't need anti-virus software, like Mac, it has a built in firewall, and all the software is free. It boots in 1/4 the time windows does, haven't had any crashes.

I'm thinking of dedicating part of my site to teach people, locally, how to do the same thing. It's easy. Anyone can download it, burn it to disk, and run it from the disc without even installing it, to get the feel of it. You would be amazed at how much like windows it is, yet the user has ALL the authority over the system. If you mess something up in the OS, just reinstall it, your personal files stay intact and the OS only can be rebooted, another thing windows doesn't let you do.

NOTE: Anyone with an Android powered phone is already using Linux, since that's the core operating system of all of them.
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by sniper101. Reason: Removed links I would consider spam.

Re: SpamBots 3 years 6 months ago #15199

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
By the way, Mac, like Linux, is also built on Unix. Look at the way Mac GUI looks and compare it to just about any Linux distribution and you will see the similarities.

Re: SpamBots 3 years 6 months ago #15201

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
snipe..you lost me at AMD Athlon Processor......i have no head anymore for this tech stuff. i can run any number of programs, manage them, etc. but the basics of computer and the hardware it takes to run one efficiently....whoosh...right over my head. that's why i have techies at my company to handle that stuff...LOL.

and thank goodness for folks like you! it makes life for the rest of us far easier!

Re: SpamBots 3 years 6 months ago #15209

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
heartandmind wrote:
snipe..you lost me at AMD Athlon Processor......i have no head anymore for this tech stuff. i can run any number of programs, manage them, etc. but the basics of computer and the hardware it takes to run one efficiently....whoosh...right over my head. that's why i have techies at my company to handle that stuff...LOL.

and thank goodness for folks like you! it makes life for the rest of us far easier!

I'm not sure about the "easier" part Heart. I just read Snipe's post and had to go throw up cause my head was spinning so much!! :(

Here is what I know about computers: I turn my Mac on and it works! I'll leave the rest to folks like Snipe and Admin!!

Re: SpamBots 3 years 6 months ago #15244

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
Sorry folks, I hate to ramble on like that.
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by sniper101.

Re: SpamBots 3 years 6 months ago #15341

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
I think I found another spambot who recently obtained an account. Hasn't posted anything yet.

If an admin is on here I'll send the info I have, just let me know and you can check it out. I sent an admin a message, but like me, most don't notice the private messages for a couple of days.

Re: SpamBots 3 years 6 months ago #15342

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
sniper101 wrote:
I think I found another spambot who recently obtained an account. Hasn't posted anything yet.

If an admin is on here I'll send the info I have, just let me know and you can check it out. I sent an admin a message, but like me, most don't notice the private messages for a couple of days.

Good job, Sniper!
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)

Re: SpamBots 3 years 6 months ago #15343

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
That spammer named XRumerTest, that looks like was banned, was running software named XRumer. It is well known spammer software. It is distributed by (contact me for that) from an IP in the Russian Federation. Since I have no access to IP's on here I can't tell you which one they where using, but I do know the various IP's they use.

Was just trying to help.

Re: SpamBots 3 years 6 months ago #15344

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
Sent Bruce and Scott a pm, so if one of you guys read this, check your pm's.

Thanks.

Re: SpamBots 3 years 6 months ago #15345

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey, snipey. Thanks for the heads up.

Davy Mosely is our guru of all things technical.

Re: SpamBots 3 years 6 months ago #15348

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
snipe's da man when it comes to 'puter stuff!

i humbly bow to your vast knowledge & expertise, sire.

Re: SpamBots 3 years 6 months ago #15349

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm not sure I'm da man, but I do know quite a bit. I am also a very, very fast learner when I find something interesting.

I am an active member of a "nerdy" type forum, one that helps people figure out where software has went awry, helps them fix those problems, and hopefully gain stability again.

They are implementing a new way to check for forum spammers. Even the smartest hackers are having trouble with these guys. When I say "hacker" I STRICTLY mean it under this definition : An enthusiastic and skillful computer programmer or user. Not the one who are always doing things illegal.

I saw what the XRumer software user was posting and decided to find out what the "community" knew about it is all. I hate to see that kind of stuff being posted and figured I would help as much as I could.

I appreciate the thanks. Just doing what I consider my part.

AJ, I will send Dave the info I have via e-mail and give you guys another tool in combating SpamBots.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu