LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Retail Center

New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15157

• pizzainn23
  • Fresh Boarder
Does anyone know anything about the new retail center going in across from Lowe's on the corner of Broadway and Possey lane west?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15158

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
I haven't heard anything, but that general area seems like the direction the town is moving. Heard anything about some "super-stores" along the new Hwy 11 extension? I had heard everything from Target to Sams to Costco etc.

Re: New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15160

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
Oh, man. From your lips to God's ears. Any of those big box stores would be great

Re: New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15163

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
They are building a Super Target in Greenville, so that is probably out for Sulphur Springs.

Re: New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15165

• buckrack8
  • Expert Boarder
I imagine we have all we'll ever have.

Re: New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15168

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
dave_k60 wrote:
I haven't heard anything, but that general area seems like the direction the town is moving. Heard anything about some "super-stores" along the new Hwy 11 extension? I had heard everything from Target to Sams to Costco etc.

wouldn't a sam's or costco be great!

have there been any more book stores in the area? some of us are "bookworms" so to speak..LOL.

in a recent drive through SS, i was trying to take note of some of the "mainstays" around town - beyond WalMart. Like LouNell's (is there any competition for that old bastion of ladies wear?) and Circle E or Bealls? What's opened over the last few years that have proven to be a good place to do business?

Re: New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15190

My opinion this town has plenty of opportunity to advance in the retail market . I noticed in the towns surrounding this area are getting good retail businesses such as mt pleasant has a fairly IHOP and different place to eat and buy clothing. What sulphur springs needs is to let these chains come in and do this town a favor and create jobs and business revenue. Taxes are going to go up regardless so there is no point in crying about it.
We have let paris ,,my pleasant and greenville sail past us in the retail market. No offense to the mom and pop operations but come on do we need another chinese place or a another mexican food restarant . what we need is chick-fila , bring back kfc , e place for men and a to walk in and shop . no offense to all the retail women places but come on everyone knows they go down to dallas off the freeway and with tax id and by wholesale and sell them at a marked up value and they all the same or similiar merchandise. Lets not settle for the same lets think outside the box. Get some people who will make this city thrive in business revenue.

Re: New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15194

• grasshopper
  • Expert Boarder
"Sufferin' Springs" is just that for the local tax payers. We NEED some new business to stimulate and spread out the tax revenue base. Instead of "revitalizing" the streets to be more accident prone (like Main Street), and catering to a recycling plant, why not attempt to recruit some new big chain businesses? The city manager and majority of his "yes people" on the city council keeping their heads in the sand are not getting the job done. At times they just seem to be "stuck on stupid". (Somebody ought to say it.) The world is passing Sulphur Springs by. :ohmy:

Re: New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15196

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I remember people were calling it "Sufferin' Springs" 50 years ago.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re: New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15200

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
ya, and my mom still does...LOL.

Re: New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15208

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
The Target rumor has been around for 15 years -- and they still aren't here. I can't see them coming either. Same for Costco -- not with one in Rockwall. The problem is, Greenville is getting all the "box" stores and we are too close for further expansion. It is not right, but it is the way it is.

Just look at McKinney. 20 or so years ago they were the EXACT same town as Sulphur Springs. Not anymore. It is just crazy what being on I-75 can do for a town! :dry:

Re: New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15211

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
i wouldn't exactly say it was an improvement for McKinney, though...it doesn't have that same feel that it did 20 yrs ago either.

I worked in McKinney the better part of a decade and watched it explode - and all the dang road construction and such.

McKinney may be larger, but it's sure not "better". I think it grew because of the explosions of the metroplex going north...first Richardson throught the 60s and the 70s, then Plano in the 70s/80s and part of the 90s and then Allen in the 90s up to now. I think Allen is almost built out and Plano sure is.

It'd be nice if SS got a few more attractions...but what would be the perfect mix? Something to keep that small town feel, that accessability that you can get across and anywhere in town in 20 minutes or less (ok, maybe not on Friday afternoons through the square..LOL) but still have all the needs of the citizens met?

From what I read here, there's plenty of pharmacies and churches. What would be a great addition to SS?
I'd like to see something that would bring some manufacturing into the area. The land's pretty cheap, the labor market is available and skilled enough and the overhead would be fairly reasonable, I would think. It'd also bring a good tax base to the tax rolls. Sadly, manufacturing has been moving off shore now for about a decade because it really is so much cheaper in labor costs in places like China, Mexica and India.
Still, it sure seems to be a prime opportunity if a corporation would only see that....

Re: New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15213

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
heartandmind wrote:
i wouldn't exactly say it was an improvement for McKinney, though...it doesn't have that same feel that it did 20 yrs ago either.

I worked in McKinney the better part of a decade and watched it explode - and all the dang road construction and such.

McKinney may be larger, but it's sure not "better". I think it grew because of the explosions of the metroplex going north...first Richardson throught the 60s and the 70s, then Plano in the 70s/80s and part of the 90s and then Allen in the 90s up to now. I think Allen is almost built out and Plano sure is.

It'd be nice if SS got a few more attractions...but what would be the perfect mix? Something to keep that small town feel, that accessability that you can get across and anywhere in town in 20 minutes or less (ok, maybe not on Friday afternoons through the square..LOL) but still have all the needs of the citizens met?

From what I read here, there's plenty of pharmacies and churches. What would be a great addition to SS?
I'd like to see something that would bring some manufacturing into the area. The land's pretty cheap, the labor market is available and skilled enough and the overhead would be fairly reasonable, I would think. It'd also bring a good tax base to the tax rolls. Sadly, manufacturing has been moving off shore now for about a decade because it really is so much cheaper in labor costs in places like China, Mexica and India.
Still, it sure seems to be a prime opportunity if a corporation would only see that....

How's this - one thing Sulphur Springs seems to have is an abundant water supply from Cooper Lake. What kind of industry would find that attractive? hmmm - how about a brewery?

Re: New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15214

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
heartandmind wrote:

Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by dave_k60. Reason: didn't want it on anymore

Re: New Retail Center 3 years 6 months ago #15221

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
a brewery?!! i get the shakes just thinking about it! wouldn't that be awesome!
a nice hearty ale....and a nice dark and mysterious oktoberfest.....man oh man....i'd be there for that one!
Time to create page: 2.357 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu