LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion "Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: "Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision

"Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision 3 years 10 months ago #14902

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
Did y'all see where Rankin ISD is going to "equalize the wealth" by educating 2500 SSISD students?
enter into a partnership agreement that will allow Rankin Independent School District to “reduce property wealth by funding the education of non-resident students.”
The resolution for the agreement gives SSISD Board President Jacquelyn Brice, Secretary Kerry Wright and Superintendent Patsy Bolton authority to “execute any documents necessary to accomplish this partnership arrangement.”

The president and secretary of Rankin ISD’s board of trustees, Texas Education Agency’s commissioner of education and the executive director of Region 18 ESC are also required to give their approval to the agreement.

I didn't see anywhere in the article about the ballot requirements needed by the citizens to approve such a measure in the RISD, maybe they forgot to mention it.

SUBCHAPTER E. EDUCATION OF NONRESIDENT STUDENTS

Sec. 41.122. VOTER APPROVAL. (a) After first executing an agreement under this subchapter other than an agreement under Section 41.125, the board of trustees of the district that will be educating nonresident students shall order and conduct an election, in the manner provided by Sections 13.003(d)-(g), to obtain voter approval of the agreement.

(b) The ballot shall be printed to permit voting for or against the proposition: "Authorizing the board of trustees of ________ School District to educate students of other school districts with local tax revenues."

(c) The proposition is approved if the proposition receives a favorable vote of a majority of the votes cast. If the proposition is approved, the agreement executed by the board is ratified, and the board has continuing authority to execute agreements under this subchapter on behalf of the district without further voter approval.
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by sniper101. Reason: Add first qoute
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: "Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision 3 years 10 months ago #14903

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
In return for the funding paid through the agreement, SSISD agrees to participate in a technology consortium in accordance with the provision of Section 41.099 of the Education Code.

This is misleading, it sounds like a special agreement for SSISD by saying "in return for the funding," but is actually another way for RISD to reduce wealth per student level. I'm not saying this stuff is bad for the district, just our district seems to "spin" a lot of stuff.

Sec. 41.125. CAREER AND TECHNOLOGY EDUCATION PROGRAMS. (a) The board of trustees of a school district with a wealth per student that exceeds the equalized wealth level may reduce the district's wealth per student by executing an agreement to provide students of one or more other districts with career and technology education through a program designated as an area program for career and technology education.

(b) The agreement is not effective unless the commissioner certifies that:

(1) implementation of the agreement will not result in any of the affected districts' wealth per student being greater than the equalized wealth level; and

(2) the agreement requires the district with a wealth per student that exceeds the equalized wealth level to make expenditures benefiting students from other districts in an amount at least equal to the amount that would be required for the district to purchase the number of attendance credits under Subchapter D necessary, in combination with any other actions taken under this chapter other than an action under this section, to reduce the district's wealth per student to a level that is equal to or less than the equalized wealth level.

Re: "Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision 3 years 10 months ago #14904

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
Just to be clear on 41.099.

Sec. 41.099. LIMITATION. (a) Sections 41.002(e), 41.094, 41.097, and 41.098 apply only to a district that:

(a) (3) executes an agreement under Subchapter E to contract for the education of nonresident students:

(A) to an extent that does not provide more than 10 percent of the reduction in wealth per student required for the district to achieve a wealth per student that is equal to or less than the equalized wealth level; and

(B ) under which all revenue paid by the district to other districts, in excess of the reduction in state aid that results from counting the weighted average daily attendance of the students served in the contracting district, is required to be used for funding a consortium of at least three districts in a county with a population of less than 40,000 that is formed to support a technology initiative.
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by sniper101. Reason: fix smilie that's wasn't intended

Re: "Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision 3 years 10 months ago #14905

Break it down in easy to understand language for me Sniper. Please. Not sarcasm. Really would like to understand it.

Re: "Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision 3 years 10 months ago #14906

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
Basically, RISD has too much money per student. It wasn't clear how that happened. It could be from several things, a lot of people moving out of RISD taxing area, over-taxation, or too little spending. The law states that when that happens the district must spend it, and it gives specific ways they are allowed to. So it looks like they are going to educate around 2500 of our students and do the technology initiative with the other districts. The money they spend on our students that is more than the state funding we receive has to be used to fund the initiative. That's the option it looks like they are taking.

I'm not saying it's bad for us. From what I can tell SSISD is doing them a favor. If I'm wrong about this someone let me know. Thanks.

Re: "Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision 3 years 10 months ago #14907

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
Someone must not have liked me talking about this, my karma went down since this morning. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Re: "Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision 3 years 10 months ago #14912

sniper101 wrote:
Basically, RISD has too much money per student. It wasn't clear how that happened. It could be from several things, a lot of people moving out of RISD taxing area, over-taxation, or too little spending. The law states that when that happens the district must spend it, and it gives specific ways they are allowed to. So it looks like they are going to educate around 2500 of our students and do the technology initiative with the other districts. The money they spend on our students that is more than the state funding we receive has to be used to fund the initiative. That's the option it looks like they are taking.

I'm not saying it's bad for us. From what I can tell SSISD is doing them a favor. If I'm wrong about this someone let me know. Thanks.

I see. Thanks.

Re: "Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision 3 years 10 months ago #14914

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
sniper101 wrote:
Someone must not have liked me talking about this, my karma went down since this morning. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

yea, mine's been nosediving since before the holidays. despite my good holiday cheer. :cheer:

maybe it's a "bah humbug" mentality? :silly:

oh well. we can co-commiserate my friend. i'll bump yours later. i took a little pity on another poster just now so i'll have to add to your later, friend.

Re: "Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision 3 years 10 months ago #14925

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
SouthernBaptist wrote:
I see. Thanks.

No problem.

heartandmind wrote:
yea, mine's been nosediving since before the holidays. despite my good holiday cheer.

maybe it's a "bah humbug" mentality?

oh well. we can co-commiserate my friend. i'll bump yours later. i took a little pity on another poster just now so i'll have to add to your later, friend.

I'm really not sure why yours would take a dive. You always tend to be quite pleasant. I'll do what I can for ya.

Re: "Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision 3 years 10 months ago #14928

• anon
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok, I know there are must be more people out there besides me that had absolutely no idea where Rankin ISD is. I had to google it. It is about 7 1/2 hours from here towards Abilene, in Upton County. I guess it's a good thing for our students and school district.

Re: "Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision 3 years 10 months ago #14931

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
sniper101 wrote:
SouthernBaptist wrote:
I see. Thanks.

No problem.

heartandmind wrote:
yea, mine's been nosediving since before the holidays. despite my good holiday cheer.

maybe it's a "bah humbug" mentality?

I'm really not sure why yours would take a dive. You always tend to be quite pleasant. I'll do what I can for ya.

why, thank you sir. likewise to yourself.

Re: "Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision 3 years 10 months ago #14933

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
I guess they are basically going to spend their peoples tax dollars on us, bet they are happy about that. Seems like they would use the money on more localized districts. Maybe the local districts are at their peak too. But then again, they had to find districts with a population of 40,000 or less. Sounds like "redistribution of wealth" to me.

Re: "Equalize The Wealth" SSISD Decision 3 years 10 months ago #14934

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
if i were a resident of that district i'd pretty hacked at having to send my tax dollars outside of my district.

another thought.....what does that say about SSISD?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu