LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion Happy With Your Tax Bill?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Happy With Your Tax Bill?

Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 11 months ago #14508

• grasshopper
  • Expert Boarder
Well, everyone should have received their new tax bill by now. Property valuations continue to drop, but the tax rates continue to go up. Some, like the Commissioner's Court, say that even with the increased taxes per hundred dollars of value, that the "taxes haven't gone up, because the valuation has decreased, so you're paying the same amount". Others, like the County Hospital Board, have no shame and simply "stick it to you" with a 29.5% increase, regardless of the property values, in order to keep their fat boat afloat on the backs of you, the taxpayer. They continue to operate at a great dollar loss on a monthly basis, but you'll never read about that in this local paper.
This is a double edge sword. They continue to raise taxes (per hundred dollars of assessed value) in order to maintain their "status quo" without making any hard cuts or decisions to stay within their budgets as we have to do. Eventually one day the property values will go back up. When they do, your tax bill will go up substantially every year. Folks on fixed incomes will be hardest hit. Homes and property will be lost. Think not? Then ask yourself this: "Do you actually think they'll give it back"? :ohmy:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 11 months ago #14509

I've noticed companies doing it too. Groceries are skyrocketing. Guess It's easier to pass it on to the consumer than it is to tighten the belt like the consumer has to. Greed will kill this country eventually.

Re: Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 10 months ago #14510

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
property taxes in hopkins county are crazy-high.

Re: Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 10 months ago #14516

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
heartandmind wrote:
property taxes in hopkins county are crazy-high.

But, I don't think they are as bad as Hunt County. :laugh:

Re: Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 9 months ago #14858

• townsend
  • Platinum Boarder
We need average joe's on the boards- not just want to be "big shots," and no retirement aged members on the board. Let the younger people decide their own futures.

Re: Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 9 months ago #14860

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
townsend wrote:
We need average joe's on the boards- not just want to be "big shots," and no retirement aged members on the board. Let the younger people decide their own futures.

Dang Town ... I actually agree with you! :woohoo: Or at least we need a better mix of young and "experienced."

Now I must go hang myself :P

Re: Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 8 months ago #14870

• muu
  • Gold Boarder
Went to pay my SSISD taxes today. Guess what? The sign on the door says that office is closed Dec. 21 to Dec. 28, reopening on the 28th. Have to admit I was stunned. At the county tax office, it was business as usual.
How nice that the SSISD office can afford to take a whole week off, and folks can just wait to pay their exorbitant taxes. :angry:

Hope everyone who has driven along Main or Houston Street has taken a gander at the gigantic new "multi-purpose" building, otherwise known as Greg'sWorld. :ohmy:

Re: Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 8 months ago #14875

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
It looks like the biggest building in town. When the money is free, spend it like mad. lol

You know that they are going to HAVE to build a gigantic stadium next, like the one in Royse City. Cause you know that it's just too embarrassing to have an old stadium and a new practice Coliseum.

Re: Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 8 months ago #14876

• docziggy
  • Gold Boarder
Property taxes are theft and the extreme levels of property valuations prove that it is something that ALL of the governmental entities are in on. It is not just the schools. It is everything. People are not buying houses because they can't afford the taxes and insurance in this economy. I know I fit that description, but I have a house that is valued at about 40K more than you can sell it for. Amazing. I don't think a building at the high school is going to make a lot of difference, quite frankly. I am almost positive that everyone in town would be paying the same rate, no matter the reason. Schools are easy targets because they make themselves big targets: they are the biggest employer in the town and they pass the costs on to you. However, the county and the hospital district are not that friendly either. I just wish this state could figure out how to finance our local and regional entities without putting us out of house and home...LITERALLY.

Re: Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 8 months ago #14877

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
docziggy wrote:
Property taxes are theft and the extreme levels of property valuations prove that it is something that ALL of the governmental entities are in on. It is not just the schools. It is everything. People are not buying houses because they can't afford the taxes and insurance in this economy. I know I fit that description, but I have a house that is valued at about 40K more than you can sell it for. Amazing. I don't think a building at the high school is going to make a lot of difference, quite frankly. I am almost positive that everyone in town would be paying the same rate, no matter the reason. Schools are easy targets because they make themselves big targets: they are the biggest employer in the town and they pass the costs on to you. However, the county and the hospital district are not that friendly either. I just wish this state could figure out how to finance our local and regional entities without putting us out of house and home...LITERALLY.

Maybe if tax assessors weren't paid by the taxing entities - the valuations would be more realistic. It's always been a joke to hear about the "tax rate" not going up, The valuations almost always do. Of course - government entities ( schools, city and county) have large payrolls - and benefits very rarely given by private business anymore. The old line " government pays less than private" does not fly any more.

Re: Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 8 months ago #14878

• kat2jab
  • Senior Boarder
With all the talk about taxes, I understand both sides of valuation of properties. I had swamp/bottom land south of town and when development started out past new Wal-mart, 5 acres of waste land was treated the same as lots with elec., water, and sewer ($3000.00 per lot) . After 30 mins arguing with tax-assessor, he agreed to visibly check it out. One week later, he agreed that it was uninhabitable unless major drainage issues resolved. RESULT: tax bill of $6,000 for 5 acres reduced to $500.00.

However, we built new house on the "wrong" side of town. Just guess which side. $65 k to build and must be insured for that amount. SS tax appraisal only at $24 k. Sure saves us money, but what about if we want to sell?

Bottom line. Tax appraisors do not judge accurately. Sometimes the property owner benefits, but at what price?

Re: Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 8 months ago #14880

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Wish we could set your house on any lot in Hawaii... it would be worth way over a million. Wish we could find any lot in Hawaii that only cost $65K.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Average cost of a home in Hawaii is $660,000.
(and you probably wouldn't want to live in it)
:woohoo:

In SS, the first words a baby learns to say are... "Mama" and "Dada".
In Hawaii the first words a baby learns to say .......
"Lease hold" and "Fee simple".
:S :huh: :ohmy: :unsure: :dry: :woohoo:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by StanWright.

Re: Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 8 months ago #14881

Hey, Stan.

My mother looked a property on Maui. Nearly gave her a heart attack. :woohoo:

Re: Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 8 months ago #14882

• docziggy
  • Gold Boarder
ArtsJunkie wrote:
Hey, Stan.

Your mom was able to consider buying property? In Hawaii? Gee, I stroked out when I saw the cost of an airplane ticket to Honolulu. I spent 2 days in the hospital on a liquid diet. No more pricing adventures for me. B)

Re: Happy With Your Tax Bill? 3 years 8 months ago #14884

docziggy wrote:
ArtsJunkie wrote:
Hey, Stan.

Your mom was able to consider buying property? In Hawaii? Gee, I stroked out when I saw the cost of an airplane ticket to Honolulu. I spent 2 days in the hospital on a liquid diet. No more pricing adventures for me. B)

DZ: She worked hard all her life. Living in Hawaii was a dream for her. She didn't buy, she ended up renting and lived there for 9 months. She loved it. My father is buried at the National Cemetery of the Pacific (Punchbowl) in Honolulu. She lived on Maui, but flew over to Oahu twice while she was there. It really is paradise. She lived right across from Kami II Beach in Kihei. Away from the hotels in Lahaina, etc. It was nice. I went over to visit while she was there. B)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu