LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion Hopkins County Memorial Hospital
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hopkins County Memorial Hospital

Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 2 weeks ago #14164

• brad3510
  • Junior Boarder
I have been paying close attention lately to the ongoings of our local hospital, and as many have already heard, we are looking at a budget deficit for the upcoming year. We've heard they are doing everything possible to cut costs as fewer people seem to be using the hospital meaning less income. Millions of dollars have been spent building and remodeling the hospital, which needed to be done, I'm not complaining about that. Then, we read in the newspaper, printed on the same day I believe, that the Hospital Board has approved a 5 cent tax increase in order to help make up the deficit, and then in a separate story, we read that the hospital is buying the Medical Surgical Clinic...

I don't pretend to be an expert on business, but it seems a little odd to be buying new buildings and undertaking new liabilities if you can not currently meet your budget and you're raising taxes. Just a thought...anyone else have some ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 2 weeks ago #14170

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
What do they care, it's your money they are taking. In the worst economic crisis of our time, this whole area, county commissioners excluded, still have their hands out, or should I say, deep in our pockets trying to steal every penny they can. The school district is the worst culprit.

Re:Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 2 weeks ago #14173

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
or is it fewer PAYING people are using the hospital & it's facilities that's causing the deficit?

Re:Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 2 weeks ago #14176

• docziggy
  • Gold Boarder
I can't remember a year, anywhere that I have lived, that I didn't get a tax increase with the exception of this year. When the taxes are at a ceiling or it is a sensitive election time for key people, the taxes are not raised but rather the values of property are allowed to go up to silly levels...bracket creep. You want to know how much it has gone up in a little over 20 years? The state budget in 1987 was 17.5 billion for each year in the biennium. This year it is about 90 billion plus change. And that is just the STATE. Add in the city, county and hospital taxes and you can't afford that nice house you want to buy. Heaven forbid you get sick and have to pay for medical expenses. This government growth which is out of control has happened on the watch of D's and R's. There is no philosophy or group that can be blamed for the mess. I suppose we should be glad we are not in California.

Re:Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 2 weeks ago #14177

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
Many people think the best thing for the hospital would be for it to be sold to ETMC or Mother Frances.

Re:Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 2 weeks ago #14179

• buckrack8
  • Expert Boarder
Maybe it would be best to sell it

Re:Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 2 weeks ago #14182

• trukdoc55
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sw
dave_k60 wrote:
Many people think the best thing for the hospital would be for it to be sold to ETMC or Mother Frances.
I might go back to that hospital if it were sold. I vote for Mother Francis!
I am still fighting the bill for them checking my heart out and ignoring why I come in. Just maybe if they did something to help me I would pay. There is something seriously wrong with the way that Hospital is run.

Re:Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 2 weeks ago #14190

• ccnad
  • Senior Boarder
you bet...thier is something wrong with the way the hospitol is run!!

Re:Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 2 weeks ago #14198

• buckrack8
  • Expert Boarder
We need a band aid clinic to keep from crowding the ER

Re: Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 1 week ago #14204

• karenst
  • Fresh Boarder
We have a bandaid clinic...it's called Community Care at Memorial....located on Church Street next to Medicine Chest North..it is very low cost and very convenient...however, most of the non paying goobers that use the ER THINK that their issue are life or death.....
Last Edit: 4 years 1 week ago by karenst.

Re: Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 1 week ago #14205

• karenst
  • Fresh Boarder
Further more, let's sell our brand new state of the art hospital to ETMC or TMF and see how fast rates and services will shoot up!!! Your board of directors are looking out for the citizens of this county. Get a grip and start using the hospital, paying your bills like you do at Brookshires...and see how fast things will begin to suit you....Businesses don't run when nobody pays their bills.

Re: Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 1 week ago #14207

• docziggy
  • Gold Boarder
Not all people who are poor are "goobers". Some have worked all of their lives just to try and put food on the table. My dad was that way. They let little ailments turn into big issues and then they have no means to get treatment for it. The thing is, the hospital is a taxing district and really HAS to see these people. I try and pay every penny I owe, in spite of 2 MAJOR hospitalizations this year. It is very tough and the Medicare policy only does just so much. So the elderly can't afford to get sick and neither can the poor. I am not whining because I feel blessed to have what I have and I try and pay everyone what I owe them. But calling people who are poor or elderly names like "goober" doesn't reflect on them as much as it reflects on the rest of us that complain. And yes, I complain too. It is a part of life. Taxes are out of this world and it is not going to get better, no matter what the politicians tell you.

Re: Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 1 week ago #14208

I read the post your referring to. I'm not rich either. But I didn't take it that they were calling poor people 'goobers'. I know many rich people who would try and get out of paying a bill they owed. I think they are referring to those 'goobers'. But I know for a fact that alot of people use that emergency room as a clinic.

Re: Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 1 week ago #14210

• trukdoc55
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sw
karenst wrote:
Further more, let's sell our brand new state of the art hospital to ETMC or TMF and see how fast rates and services will shoot up!!! Your board of directors are looking out for the citizens of this county. Get a grip and start using the hospital, paying your bills like you do at Brookshires...and see how fast things will begin to suit you....Businesses don't run when nobody pays their bills.
In my business if someone comes in for hydraulic diagnostics and I take it upon myself to check the engine out, and tell the customer "Good News your engine is in good shape" with no diagnosis on the hydraulics. I promise you my customer will not pay me. Nor would they have a legal obligation to do so.
So when I (or anyone) go in to the ER for a debilitating pain due to a pinched nerve and I get a thorough check on my heart. How is it I owe them a dime considering I came in seeking help. And at no point was my problem addressed. As it turned out I had Whiplash and now have permanent nerve damage due to non treatment. For the record I have had 3 surgery's done and paid for them all. I had to make payments but they are all paid in full.
So my suggestion to that hospital is to help the patients, and do what is needed not just what they think you need. You know old fashioned customer service and they might get a bit more of old fashioned bills paid.
As for the others that are not going to pay for their bill no matter what. Someday you might not get service at all.
We do need to support the hospital. But I stand with my statement that there is something seriously wrong with the leadership with that facility.
There are some great Doctors there, that I do not deny. I do not mean to deny the credit due to them. But if a doctor blows a call, the Hospital needs to do what is right. And that is to not charge thousands of dollars for nothing.

Re: Hopkins County Memorial Hospital 4 years 1 week ago #14211

• kat2jab
  • Senior Boarder
truckdoc55 wrote:
We do need to support the hospital. But I stand with my statement that there is something seriously wrong with the leadership with that facility.
There are some great Doctors there, that I do not deny. I do not mean to deny the credit due to them. But if a doctor blows a call, the Hospital needs to do what is right. And that is to not charge thousands of dollars for nothing.

In the last ten years, my family has had three major surgeries and two critical incidents (possible appendicitis--severe pain, and severe chest pain--possible heart problems). This summer I finally paid in full my bill to HCMH after years of monthly payments. Some people still pay their bills.

The surgical care and staff were excellent. As for the ER care, it is --to put it bluntly-- haphazard at best and dangerous at worst. With all signs of a possible heart attack, the doctor did not even show until 2 hours after in ER bed. No tests were run until the Dr ordered them. Medicine was finally administered 4 hours after in ER bed. Beside us an asthmatic patient was in spasms for 2 hours before given an inhaler. And for the crowded conditions, the lighted sign in the nurses station only showed the two patients during this incident, so do not blame poor "goobers" for clogging up the system. Sometimes the ER doctors respond quickly and sometimes they don't. I have yet to find this attitude with the surgeons or staff of those surgeons.

All this is to say there are good and bad at HCMH, and the ER is consistently on the negative side.
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu