LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion Problems at the probation office?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Problems at the probation office?

Problems at the probation office? 4 years 2 months ago #14109

• Yeahoo
  • Fresh Boarder
Can someone explain to me why the probation department is not enforcing the judges orders?
Example:
Ordered to perform lets say 100 hours of community service.
Offenders go in to do their time, walk out sometimes 2 hours, and sometimes 15 minutes later and they get signed off for 8 hours and sometimes more!

Ordered to repeat offenders class for 3 hours 2 times a week, but walk out 1 hour later with a signed sheet saying they did 3 hours.

Ordered to do meetings a few times a month; offenders sign their own sheet and turn it in and nobody ever checks.

Fines? better be sure to pay those or go back to jail right away.

What good is this doing, and how much are the people that are supposed to be supervising this department earning all the while they are not performing their duties??
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Problems at the probation office? 4 years 2 months ago #14110

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
Not trying to be a smart-aleck or anything, but what is your proof that this is happening?? Just word of mouth??

I never believe word of mouth -- those words get all "mixed up" with each different mouth that repeats them! :unsure:

Re: Problems at the probation office? 4 years 2 months ago #14111

• Yeahoo
  • Fresh Boarder
That's an easy answer..

As the driver responsible for drop off and pick up on a Repeated basis, with the understanding that i would schedule my plans around a 3 hours Repeat Offenders Class, or an eight hour day of community service. Only to have my plans thrown completely off by a phone call that says "class is over" and they were only in there for 1 hour instead of 3. Or, head home or out of town only to be called back 15 minutes later saying "we are done with our community service for the day, can you come back and pick me up?".

It isn't rocket science to figure out how much time was actually performed, vs. the time that was ordered by the judge. If he ordered 100 hours, and I sat outside waiting for much less than that and now the offender has completed the required hours. It doesn't add up!

All you need to do if you wish to check it out is go to the parking lot outside the probation office or the repeat offenders class and see how long they stay.

Another thing that I would recommend is that you find someone that you know has completed their probation and ask them about their experience. I think that you will find that they will tell you it was a joke and a complete waste of taxpayer money. It leaves me wondering if this lack of supervision is contributing to the fact that there are so many REPEAT offenders?

Do you think that the people on probation are going to blow the whistle?

Re: Problems at the probation office? 4 years 2 months ago #14112

• Sammie
  • Platinum Boarder
If I were you, I would submit your question directly to the Judges and Prosecutors involved. Hopefully they're not gonna be happy. If they don't care to pursue the issus you have found the problem.

Re: Problems at the probation office? 4 years 2 months ago #14113

• Sammie
  • Platinum Boarder
If I were you, I would submit your question directly to the Judges and Prosecutors involved. Hopefully they're not gonna be happy. If they don't care to pursue the issus you have found the problem.

Edited: Why did this double post and where is my handsome pic? :(
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Sammie.

Re: Problems at the probation office? 4 years 2 months ago #14124

jbourne wrote:
Not trying to be a smart-aleck or anything, but what is your proof that this is happening?? Just word of mouth??

I never believe word of mouth -- those words get all "mixed up" with each different mouth that repeats them! :unsure:

It is. I was at a place one time where two of these folks had came in to perform their 'service'. They were signed off for 8 hours for about 3 hours work.

Re: Problems at the probation office? 4 years 1 month ago #14185

• Yeahoo
  • Fresh Boarder
Maybe somebody got wind of these concerns we are discussing? I was informed that someone was ordered to do some community service that included cleaning house and helping to care for some elderly citizens 2 times per week for at least 3 hours each time. This information was relayed to me directly from one of the adult children of one of the elderly that has been assisted by this change.

It's a move in the right direction, and hope to see more. We have to have other ways to utilize those that have been required to do community services.

I would like to see some of them having to dig graves, or working in the morgue. Let them have up close experience with people that are losing their lives do to drugs, alcohol, family violence, or other such activities. They can help clean up after a wreck that has taken the life of a young person that was a result of drunk driving, or someone that was high on drugs. What are they getting out of mopping the floor, painting, or spreading dirt for an hour here and a hour there? It needs to be something that has a profound impact on them. We need to find a way to enforce that they stay away from people that they normally associate with. How about having the constables or deputies do unannounced spot checks on them which includes immediate drug testing? With GPS technology these days we can locate anyone with a cell phone. If the judge can order them to carry a "key" then why not require they have a GPS device on them at all times instead. Rather than just something that is symbolic, how about something really effective?? Surely there are some other suggestions that we can provide?

Re: Problems at the probation office? 4 years 1 month ago #14189

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
I complained to the State about the Juvi Probation office. They did have to do ALL their time in community service but, when they violated the rules of their probation, nobody cared. ALL they cared about was MONEY!!!! I know a kid personally that was on probation and got caught stealing, the police DIDN'T charge him for the theft, but did charge him with providing a false name. What happened? Absolutely nothing. Heck, after his parents paid off the fees, they didn't even want to see him for the remainder of his time. What a waste of time and money. All the kid learned was he could get away with anything because his probation officer didn't care. Why even bother putting them on it?

Re: Problems at the probation office? 4 years 1 month ago #14192

• docziggy
  • Gold Boarder
Well, the judges should be made aware of this. If everyone EXCEPT the judge knows, that could be really embarrassing for the judge. I would be one to say "tell the court about it". If the judge happens to troll by here that could be bad news for a lot of people. :cheer:

Re: Problems at the probation office? 4 years 1 month ago #14194

• Yeahoo
  • Fresh Boarder
This might be a good subject for an investigative reporter. Does the newspaper have one of those?

Re: Problems at the probation office? 4 years 2 weeks ago #14406

I can tell you from my experience on probation that it was not the picnic being depicted in these posts. I never got out of a course early and the only break I got on community service was on buying, loading, unloading and neatly stacking firewood for Cooper lake. It took nearly 8 hours start to finish and I got 16 hours credit, but it was hard sweaty manual labor. I have scooped horse and cow poop at the Civic Center too...no extra credit for that. I can't imagine anybody signing their own sheets for meetings...mine were turned in when full and it is easy to check that stuff out. They must be idiots to try something like that. I agree that Community Service should have more meaning than cleaning the Probation offices or the Civic Center after events. I painted the jail too and it reminded me I didn't want to call it home. I don't think that all probationers should be allowed inside elderly people's homes though...that is a bad situation waiting to happen. Working at the Meal A Day Center would be a good service, but it wasn't allowed when I did my hours. The county roads are not in the best of shape and one precinct uses jail labor, why not assign community service to the road crews? I would have rather patched potholes for 8 hours than stacked and re stacked firewood. It would be much more useful and beneficial to the community as a whole.

Re: Problems at the probation office? 3 years 11 months ago #14655

• redvet37
  • Fresh Boarder
I have personal knowledge of what a joke probation & parole supervision in this area . My step kids mom was convicted of multiple drug felonies. She got 10 yrs deff with probation. Over a period of 4 years failed multiple drug tests,was convicted of another drug misdameanor while on probation, didnt pay her fines, left the state for 3 months without permission & wasnt revoked until her bondsman requested her bond be revoked. Also, somehow her boyfriend said the day before she was supposed to report she received a phone call at his house & was told she was being revoked so she ran. Then after being caught & imprisoned and getting out early on parole for "good behavior" , she fails more drug tests & commits - is convicted & served time for an other felony while on parole & doesnt get her parole revoked.
While on probation the kids dad called "David" with the probation office RE: failed drug tests on probation & his response was "everyone does drugs. If we revoked or jailed everyone who does drugs we wouldnt have anywhere to put them." After finding out her parole was not revoked for the felony while on parole he wrote to the Parole Board & was told" they spoke to her about the seriousness of her choices & she is being released from parole as scheduled."
Im not sure if letting the judges know would change anything. On October 31, 2010 in SS a man was arrested for his 3rd or 4th DWI & was out the next am on $1000.00 bond. Free to drive & maybe killl a few more people while awaiting court - thanks to a local judge.
I know this sounds harsh & I do vote but I have seriously lost respeect for our entire judicial system. :(
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.501 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu