LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion House in Exchange for Home Health?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: House in Exchange for Home Health?

House in Exchange for Home Health? 4 years 4 months ago #14017

• Yeahoo
  • Fresh Boarder
Has anyone ever heard of a Home Health Agency taking someone's house
in exchange for services?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: House in Exchange for Home Health? 4 years 4 months ago #14020

• ProfLady
  • Junior Boarder
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by ProfLady.

Re: House in Exchange for Home Health? 4 years 4 months ago #14021

• ProfLady
  • Junior Boarder
It sounds illegal to me but I don't know all the details.

First of all someone should make sure the company they are dealing with is licensed. Secondly, I would file a complaint with the state about this.

Many consider Home Health a huge ripoff to medicare/medicaid eligible people.

Re: House in Exchange for Home Health? 4 years 4 months ago #14022

• ProfLady
  • Junior Boarder
It sounds illegal to me but I don't know all the details.

First of all someone should make sure the company they are dealing with is licensed. Secondly, I would file a complaint with the state about this.

Many consider Home Health a huge ripoff to medicare/medicaid eligible people.

Re: House in Exchange for Home Health? 4 years 4 months ago #14023

• ProfLady
  • Junior Boarder
It sounds illegal to me but I don't know all the details. The only way someone could get someone's home is if they signed a deed over to them.

Many consider Home Health a huge ripoff to medicare/medicaid eligible people. I know of at least two cases here where people have gone to jail. One was a company defrauding medicare with false claims. Another was an individual taking advantage of her role as a caregiver.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by ProfLady.

Re: House in Exchange for Home Health? 4 years 4 months ago #14024

• docziggy
  • Gold Boarder
Most home health care givers are the ones you never hear of. You never hear of a plane landing safely. So, due to a handful of knuckleheads, the government's program of generally good care is under suspicion. I would say that this sounds like a particularly nasty bunch that will get caught eventually, if what they are doing is illegal. I have never, in all my years of health care, ever seen anyone have to give up their home for health care. Now, here is where it becomes interesting. The government (federal) would likely have no standing if the group did not charge Medicare for the services/property. But it will still be something that the state should be involved in. There are crooks in every business, but taking advantage of the sick/elderly is particularly harsh.

Re: House in Exchange for Home Health? 4 years 4 months ago #14025

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
Stop the music. They only asked if someone ever heard of this. They didn't say it happened.
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)

Re: House in Exchange for Home Health? 4 years 4 months ago #14026

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
I have heard of some long term residential care like nursing homes and assisted living require people to give up about everything they own in order to live there

Re: House in Exchange for Home Health? 4 years 4 months ago #14027

• Queen Bee
  • Senior Boarder
Dave, In order for someone to qualify for Medicade. they have to get their resources down to about 2,000. There are a lot of loop holes to getting around selling off your home. Please call
Karon Weatherman at the Senior Citizens Center and she will put you in touch with the people that
can answer all of your questions.

Re: House in Exchange for Home Health? 4 years 4 months ago #14042

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
Queen Bee wrote:
Dave, In order for someone to qualify for Medicade. they have to get their resources down to about 2,000. There are a lot of loop holes to getting around selling off your home. Please call
Karon Weatherman at the Senior Citizens Center and she will put you in touch with the people that
can answer all of your questions.

Thanks Queen - Hopefully I'm not in that situation, yet , unless I really make my adult children and grandchildren furious at me. It's just something I had heard. I know my elderly parents are looking at that situation, and it's not pretty. They are no where near Medicaid level, but it will still cost about everything they own.

Re: House in Exchange for Home Health? 4 years 4 months ago #14046

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
You might want to look into setting up a "Trust"....
or you can just let the government take everything when you die.
Let the kid pay for it... they are the ones who will benefit.
I showed the kids the numbers.... and they quickly saw the benefits of me setting up a trust.
:laugh:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re: House in Exchange for Home Health? 4 years 4 months ago #14051

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
dave_k60 wrote:
I have heard of some long term residential care like nursing homes and assisted living require people to give up about everything they own in order to live there

There is one. You turn over all your assets and you live at the retirement center and they pretty much take care of everything.
offers 2 financial plans to potential applicants. The first is the traditional, Total Asset Turnover Financial Plan. Upon admission, the applicant surrenders their entire estate to the Retirement Center. This includes all real and personal property, cash, stocks, bonds, retirement income, etc. What they receive in return is total care for the rest of their lives, which is all-inclusive.

I thought I would edit this and say it is not a nursing home, it is more like assisted living/ retirement center.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by sniper101.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu