LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Stop sign on loop?

Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #13954

Seeing that bad accident in the paper, makes me wonder why they don't have a 4 way stop, or red light right there on the new loop and Arbala Hwy. I usually go really slow through there, because It would seem really easy for someone not paying attention coming from the other direction to think the loop traffic stops, and just pull on out. Just wondering.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #13955

• tjs
  • Gold Boarder
Seems I heard they were going to monitor the intersection. Sad. How many people have to be hurt or killed for something to happen? I believe Sammie and others had predicted this when the Hwy opened.

Re: Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #13956

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
Not to mention a ridiculous 60 mph speed limit. Is that so one can draft behind the middle school buses? :huh:
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)

Re: Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #13957

• Ranchhand
  • Junior Boarder
I honestly don't know exactly how to feel about this subject.

On one hand it was an elderly woman who probably shouldn't have been driving in the first place. But thats a whole other issue. From what I read the woman stopped at the stop sign and then proceeded through the intersection. Where the man from Pittsburg tried to not hit the woman but couldn't get out of the way and T-boned her. So I put the blame on the elderly woman who should've been able to tell that there was a truck coming if she's on the road.

On the other hand. You do have to look down the road a bit to make sure that there is no one coming. I think that if the people at the Arbala stop signs respect the stop signs and wait patiently for the cars to pass then there shouldn't be a problem.

If there should be anything there it should be a Caution light for the people coming down the new road and a flashing red light plus the stop signs for the people driving on Arbala.

Doubt many other people will feel this way but i'm not opposed to driving tests to keep your license at the age of 70 and every 2-5 years after.

Re: Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #13959

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Are you saying that the entrance and exit from the new school is onto the new road.... where the speed limit is 60 MPH ? :woohoo:
No way a school bus can enter a highway like that safely....

Lower the speed limit and put in a 4-way-stop.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re: Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #13964

• tjs
  • Gold Boarder
Well, there WILL be a reduced speed limit in the mornings and afternoons in the school zone. ECLC is in a 50 mph zone, and it works when they reduce the speed limit to 35.

Maybe a flashing light at the intersection would help. Red on FM 2297 and yellow on Hwy 11. Don't know though. I can still see more crashes happening like the one the other day.

Re: Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #13968

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
Sammie first said -- and I agreed (yes, it is a shocker) -- that there would be a major accident soon after that intersection opened. And we have our first one. Later that same day, a friend of mine almost saw another one when an elderly gentleman simply ran through the stop sign, turning left to go to Lowe's -- an oncoming car barely missed him.

4-way stop is the answer .... either stop sign or stop light

when that middle school is finished it is going to be a nightmare to make it across the new loop for those on Arbala Rd. :(

Re: Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #13970

• Queen Bee
  • Senior Boarder
You guys can't blame just the elderly on any wrecks. That is a BAD spot.. I think everyone that
drives on the roads is just assuming that it is a Four Way Stop. It sure LOOKS like it is.
I think that it SHOULD be a Four Way Stop. I don't know how close the new school will be to
the NEW ROAD but it looks likes they should have the buses leaving on another road and NOT the
New Road if at all possible. I haven't heard of any wrecks in front of the Early Childhood Learing
Center. They will surely have to put up lots of Flashing Lights to warn traffic about a School. I am
sure there will be a lot of people traveling the New Road that won't have a clue.

Re: Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #13975

• docziggy
  • Gold Boarder
I saw a sign at a stop sign, on a 4 way. The sign I stopped at looked like a 4 way, but it was only 2. They actually had a sign that said something like "East-West traffic does not stop. Proceed with caution." Well, obviously the reason they put that up is because there had been accidents there. Maybe at the very least they could do that at that location. Sounds dangerous. I used to live on Arbala road, right next to where the highway came in, and Arbala road is dangerous, fast and furious. People are going to have to slow down a bit to make sure they don't become a statistic.

Re: Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #13993

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
Almost had another one today .... I was sitting on Arbala headed to town and a guy going south just turned (toward Lowe's) right out in front of someone ... luckily the driver on the Loop had slowed enough where he could swerve and miss having a wreck. Just scary stuff there .... :(

Re: Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #14007

• Sammie
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes JB. I am up and down 2297 several times a day and at least every third time I cross the intersection I see a near miss. Tex Dot has blood on their hands. :( :angry: :unsure: :S

Re: Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #14012

• muu
  • Gold Boarder
When I am heading east on the new loop from Hwy. 19, am I the only one who has trouble seeing traffic coming north on Arbala Road until I am almost into the intersection? The tall weeds growing on that dirt piled up on the SW corner of the intersection presents a challenge for seeing approaching northbound vehicles in order to decide whether they are slowing down, or not. :ohmy: :(

Re: Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #14013

• anon
  • Platinum Boarder
We drove the new loop a few days after it opened, just to see what it was like. We haven't been on it since, and from the sounds of it, I am glad we have no reason to go that way again. I do hope they will figure out a better way to deal with the intersections so they will be safer for all of you that will be using it.

Re: Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #14018

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
Sammie wrote:
Yes JB. I am up and down 2297 several times a day and at least every third time I cross the intersection I see a near miss. Tex Dot has blood on their hands. :( :angry: :unsure: :S

I thought TxDOT had engineers to study potential problems on projects they are constructing. Someone should have forseen these problems.

Re: Stop sign on loop? 4 years 3 months ago #14019

• SmallTownGal
I don't know how many people travel 154 south through Yantis but it took years and years for the state to do something about traffic flow issues at FM 2966 (the first intersection in Yantis) and HWY 154. The issues were that the school buses could not get through the intersection during certain hours of the day. The next intersection in Yantis FM 515 and HWY 154 was horrible for accidents and it took who knows how many years before they turned that intersection into a 4 way stop. I used those two intersections because those are the issues that will be seen in the near future and now.

Seriously, look at the accident record on HWY 154 in Hopkins County and it's taken them how long to attempt to fix that death trap. Look at HWY 11 east of Pickton. That part of HWY 11 is a death trap that holds water when it rains, uneven lanes and hardly any road stripes to follow when driving through heavy rain.

Point is, just because TXDoT has traffic engineers and people who are supposed to foresee the problems doesn't always mean that the problem is going to be fixed the right way or done right the first time. Sadly, it's going to take more than 1 accident, thousands of near misses and I wouldn't be surprised if it took years before TXDot does something and I'm talking more than bigger stop signs.

ETA~

Oh, someone mentioned ECLC. I've seen many accidents during the school year at both the entrance and exit at that school. Some were bad and some were just fender benders. If you come from the north, it takes forever sometimes to turn left into the entrance. When you leave out the exit, you need to turn north because it takes forever to turn south because of traffic sometimes. For that school, it's best to enter coming from the south and turn north when you leave or you're risking an accident.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by SmallTownGal.
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu