LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion Changes at Wal-Mart (they're coming!)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Changes at Wal-Mart (they're coming!)

Changes at Wal-Mart (they're coming!) 4 years 5 months ago #13693

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
I have recently returned from visiting my mother. In her community they are are upscaling the local Wal-Mart. The project is still in the works and has been for at least two months. It is (has been) a total nightmare when I run errands for her. Things are so differently placed that it is like a scavenger hunt to find some of the basics. I found toothpaste near the detergent. Makes sense, they both clean, don't they? I don't know if this is permanent or not. Gone are the fabric and other notions. There is no other stores in the area that sell such items. Check out was truly a joy. The area where you take care of your credit/debit card business is no longer at the end of the counter as they have been for all time; but now it is in the middle of the counter area. This posed a problem for me because the three times I shopped, I was hit either in the side or the backside by the next overly-anxious buyer who was trying to put their items on the conveyor belt. It was also difficult to be a little concerned overy my personal business involving the machine. I think it had to be some ignorant individual that did this little maneuver. There are other things missing as well. My last time (a week or so ago) in our local store, had me inquiring if we were going to have the total upheaval of our store. The reply was yes. Albeit that the store I visited is cleaner, the moving of the electronics to the back to a larger area is nice, and a few other things were great; the few things that were changed and didn't need to be changed were quite disheartening.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Changes at Wal-Mart (they're coming!) 4 years 5 months ago #13698

• docziggy
  • Gold Boarder
These are the things that are the "in" marketing things now. Every 2 or 3 months, they move everything around the store. These are not always major overhauls, but rather they have one "major" overhaul and then tweek the stores' departments a little so you have to look harder to find what you are looking for. It is terrible for those of us that are disabled and frustrating for everyone else, but the idea is that when you are looking for what you want, you will see something that you will "impulse" buy. A store generates thousands a month in impulse buys when they re-shelf each major department every 2 or 3 months. You go looking for what you want...its not there...you keep looking....and keep looking. You do not find what you want, but you find other things that you buy. There is a hazard in this. The first time I ever saw this done, the concept was explained to me by a junior manager as he was apologizing. He said that none of the sales staff liked it because they caught a lot of heat from customers and management didn't care. That store was Comp USA. If you haven't noticed, they are out of bidness. Not for that reason, of course, but customer service was not one of their high spots. Wally World, however, has the standing power to re-train its customers to a new way of doing things. And no, I don't like it either.

Re:Changes at Wal-Mart (they're coming!) 4 years 5 months ago #13700

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
They also re-arrange the stores for loss prevention purposes. Helps keep people from "learning" the store and making easy getaways.

Yes they are getting rid of a lot of the fabric dept's and they have been systematically shutting down TLE's, or Tire, Lube Express as they are officially called. Still have an automotive dept, just no oil changes, tires, etc. The ones they tend to be targeting are the ones with the underground pits. I hear there insurance liability is very high for them.

Re:Changes at Wal-Mart (they're coming!) 4 years 5 months ago #13705

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
I didn't notice if the TLE was changed or not. I saw a sign that said 50 more days. I think this might have been when they expected the work to be completed. Doc, I have been a part of the looking for things and being told that they hoped I would purchase more; only I am one of those who get hacked and leave. I have my list and I try not to deviate from it. I just don't like the fact that things are taken away--such as the fabrics, etc. that our town once had separate stores that sold such items. Only WM "ran off" because those businesses could not compete price-wise. Now those stores are needed again, only those who once operated them are gone and no longer have the desire to establish another business. It just seems to be a rather sad situation.

Re:Changes at Wal-Mart (they're coming!) 4 years 5 months ago #13708

• kat2jab
  • Senior Boarder
Don't put all the blame on Wal-Mart for driving small businesses away. When Supercenter got here I bought meat and cheese every week at Quicky foods, groceries at Pigglys, and tires at Bank's. The McClendons and Johnstons decided to stop for whatever reason and now those two stores are no more.

As for moving things around, yes it does get annoying. But instead of griping about it, I try to use common sense and a calculator to find out which product is the best fit for my family. Oh, by the way I do shop at Wal-Mart, Pigglys, Braums, Super Handy, and A-1 Automotive (across from Edwards Used Cars) because I want to get the best value and contribute back to our local city.

Re:Changes at Wal-Mart (they're coming!) 4 years 5 months ago #13720

• brad3510
  • Junior Boarder
you have to remember that Walmart is in business in order to make a profit, not to specifically put things where we want them in the store or carry all the items we think they should carry. they do have to shift things around often, for loss prevention purposes and to encourage spending. unfortunately, there aren't that many people around who need the fabric department. Not as many people quilt or sew anymore, therefore, the fabric section is probably not profitable anymore for some stores. If the store stops making money, they raise prices and lay people off. We've had plenty of that going on lately.

I understand your frustration, but at the same time you really can't expect Walmart or any business to act any other way. They are here to make money, if they stop making money, they downsize or close.

Re:Changes at Wal-Mart (they're coming!) 4 years 5 months ago #13726

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
brad3510 wrote:
you have to remember that Walmart is in business in order to make a profit, not to specifically put things where we want them in the store or carry all the items we think they should carry. they do have to shift things around often, for loss prevention purposes and to encourage spending. unfortunately, there aren't that many people around who need the fabric department. Not as many people quilt or sew anymore, therefore, the fabric section is probably not profitable anymore for some stores. If the store stops making money, they raise prices and lay people off. We've had plenty of that going on lately.

I understand your frustration, but at the same time you really can't expect Walmart or any business to act any other way. They are here to make money, if they stop making money, they downsize or close.

Well said. Capital will ultimately flow to its most efficient use.

I did want to point out a way of using Wal Mart that can save some time/money. If you are looking for a specific item that you are not sure they carry, I would look on their Internet website. You will also find many more choices than in the store. I was looking for patio chair cushions recently, and was not happy with the store selection. However, on the Net there was a boatload. They will then ship the stuff to the store at no cost. If you have it sent to your home, there is a charge. Since most vehicles cost a good 50 cents a mile to operate, I can often save an expensive wild goose chase. :)
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)

Re:Changes at Wal-Mart (they're coming!) 4 years 5 months ago #13728

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
they're also developing stores that are 'green' for the environment. which, of course, would eliminate the oil changing and other vile chemicals our vehicles use.

hmmph.

Re:Changes at Wal-Mart (they're coming!) 4 years 5 months ago #13734

• deckofficer
  • Expert Boarder
I have found in the past that emailing a vendor that their product was no longer carried in my local Wallyworld, when it is generally carried elsewhere has brought it swiftly back to our shelves. And yeah, it's a pain when things get moved around,but you'll get used to it.
Sad to see Target is doing away with it's garden departments....but think of the sale!WOOT
:laugh:
read my blog if you're bored.
echobasetoechoseven.blogspot.com/
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu