LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion Another idea for SS, need some feedback
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another idea for SS, need some feedback

Another idea for SS, need some feedback 4 years 6 months ago #13542

what about a business called What's for Dinner? ("home-made, weeknight family dinners to-go" or "delicious, affordable solutions for the weeknight family dinner dilemma"). Two full meal choices would be prepared each day and sold by the number of servings needed (family sizes of 2/4/6 or 8). Business hours would be Monday-Fridays 3:00pm - 8:00pm.

Weekly menu examples: (Menus would change each week and we would be open for meal suggestions, too):

Monday: Chicken & Dumplins OR Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and vegetables
Tuesday: Chicken stir fry OR Chicken Gumbo
Wednesday: Enchiladas, beans and rice OR Chicken Tortilla Soup
Thursday: Lasagna OR Beef Stroganoff
Friday: Pot roast w/potatoes and carrots OR Salmon w/potatoes and vegetable

Of course, we would always have fresh, tossed salads ready for purchase as a meal or side dish. Also, we could have a different nightly dessert ready for those that want to cheat/splurge.

O.k. Sulphur Spring-ites.........would this type of service be appealing to any families out there? Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Another idea for SS, need some feedback 4 years 6 months ago #13546

To alot it would. Just don't know if there would be enough to make a go of it. Sounds great to me though.

Re:Another idea for SS, need some feedback 4 years 6 months ago #13547

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
i like it & if i were there would most likely use the service once in a while. but i'm not sure that you'd see a lot of traffic for that service.

pricing & quality would be 2 of the most important factors. if it's (ball park, here) going to be more than say, $2-$3 a serving, probably most families won't be able to go for that, particularly the larger families.

my thought would be to offer catered lunches for businesses in town in addition to the "what's for dinner" option - wouldn't be a huge number of lunches you'd do, but it would cause some to use you also as an option....just a thought.

Re:Another idea for SS, need some feedback 4 years 6 months ago #13549

• luvanimals
  • Junior Boarder
The reason I suggested a German restaurant is, it seems the new restaurants are catering to out of town guest and I love German food and the whole atmosphere. :laugh: When SS has the big things going on in town(like this weekend), they could keep tax money here. I get tired of everything being catered to the businesses in SS. I might be wrong but there really isn't that many businesses. From my understanding, the hospital and school district are the largest employers. I work out of town and miss a lot of things that go on during the week downtown. I try to support the activities but can only do it on weekends.
Also, I have heard that SS is becoming a retirement community what better then to have places to go to right here.

Just an idea don't shoot me. B) I have read some of the negative remarks to people who just try to give their opinion. :(
See you guys this weekend at the parade.

Re:Another idea for SS, need some feedback 4 years 6 months ago #13557

• markm
  • Fresh Boarder
SS already has a business "FlipSide" that offers all this and more. The food is wonderful and their prices are very reasonable. I don't think SS is large enough for more.

Re:Another idea for SS, need some feedback 4 years 6 months ago #13560

• deckofficer
  • Expert Boarder
markm wrote:
SS already has a business "FlipSide" that offers all this and more. The food is wonderful and their prices are very reasonable. I don't think SS is large enough for more.
never heard of it.hmmm
I also think a delivery option of local places would be a big boost.Lots of people are homebound or too busy
read my blog if you're bored.
echobasetoechoseven.blogspot.com/

Re:Another idea for SS, need some feedback 4 years 6 months ago #13565

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
There is actually two of these businesses. Melinda Dixon has one, too. Not sure what it is called, though.

Re:Another idea for SS, need some feedback 4 years 6 months ago #13568

• trukdoc55
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sw
Look at it from a business perspective. How many middle road Americana restaurants have opened in Sulphur Springs and quickly closed? Nearly ALL! First middle road has been done to death in Sulphur Springs. If you are going to open a Restaurant in SS, it has to be the type of place that lures SSites out of their habitual places to eat. After all we live in a town where one cannot buy a Chocolate on Chocolate doughnut due it being too much of a change from a glazed.
But how many of us drive to Rockwall or Dallas to get a fine meal? How much fine dining is there in SS? Virtually none.
So if I were to open a Restaurant in SS. It would be a upscale place, complete with a dress code. Not a suit and tie place, but certainly no flip flops and tanktops.
Rather than a mediocre place that has been done to death here, fine food is needed. Anyone been to the Carson House in Pittsburg? That would be a good example of what I am suggesting. I would vote for a great Steak House. Not a K Bobs but the likes of Culpeppers in Rockwall.
I would suspect that the opening would be slow due to it being out of the comfort zone of SSites. But once it was revealed that one could get the quality of meal we typically drive nearly 200 miles round trip to get, diners from this whole area will be coming in. You go from a clients that squalls over a $40.00 ticket for a family of eight to diners that think little of spending a hundred or so for two couples, but expect their monies worth.
A place where if there are kids inside, you can expect them to be behaved and not running around. (lol)

Re:Another idea for SS, need some feedback 4 years 6 months ago #13571

• tjs
  • Gold Boarder
truk, I think you are right on the money with a really nice steak house. Don't know how the dress code would work, honestly. Being as I have a house full of kiddos, and haven't been to Culpeppers or the like in 20 years or so, do they have a dress code?

In this economy, with Sulphur Springs' tastes, I'd be hesitant about making the huge investment of a large scale restaurant. Look at the empty ones here in S.S., fast food and otherwise. K-Bobs, KFC, Popeyes, the Mexican place on the hwy (forgot the name), LaBeaux, Broadway Diner (now Cody Drug) and now LaFamilia on Gilmer St.

Probably varied reasons each one of these is out of business, I know. One-way service roads, food quality, location, saturation of the market in one area.....for the sake of the originator of this thread, I'd say do a LOT of research before making an investment or opening a business where you absolutely depend on the income for your day-to-day expenses. That's so critical with most new businesses!!!!!

Back to the "Flipside", I believe that is run out of the old Flippin Printing Office?? I haven't used them yet. Anyone know, are the meals hot and ready, or do you need to order in advance, like I believe you do with Melinda Dixon?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu