LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wireless Broadband

Wireless Broadband 4 years 2 months ago #13539

Can anyone recommend a fast and reliable wirelss broadband service for this area? We have a place 6 miles east of Broadway near I-30 and FM 69. My husband wants to work from home but he can only do that if we can get a really awesome internet connection. Thanks for your recommendations!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Wireless Broadband 4 years 2 months ago #13544

• docziggy
  • Gold Boarder
I faced the same thing when I lived in the sticks. The problem is that the only options you have are dial up or a satellite dish that is somewhat faster than the telephone. Google "internet satellite providers" and you get a list. Dish has a version that I used. It was much better than the telephone line. Hope this helps.

Re:Wireless Broadband 4 years 2 months ago #13548

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
one possibility is the hardware attachment to your computer for satellelite connection. i know at&t's got it - it's not cheap but it's faster than dial up and pretty reliable.

we use it from time to time down at lake sam rayburn when we're down there - and there's no internet available out in the sticks out there (we're talking 45 minutes from the closest wally world...LOL). there's some dial up, but then we'd have to get a land line run to the house. it was surprisingly fast the brief period i used it.

Re:Wireless Broadband 4 years 2 months ago #13551

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
ladyweathers wrote:
Can anyone recommend a fast and reliable wirelss broadband service for this area? We have a place 6 miles east of Broadway near I-30 and FM 69. My husband wants to work from home but he can only do that if we can get a really awesome internet connection. Thanks for your recommendations!

Argon Technologies - they are a company out of Greenville - but they lease tower space in Sulphur Springs and can cover the entire country. It's wireless - and very fast. It is NOT satellite. We have it at work. I'm not sure of the set up cost but I think its about $50 a month to use it. Wish I had the phone number here at home. I'll check at work tomorrow. (if i remember)

Re:Wireless Broadband 4 years 2 months ago #13552

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
PS - Verizon and may other cell - phone companies have a little stick, looks like a thumb drive that you can connect to your desk-top or laptop and take it anywhere. I have one of those too - its about $60 a month.

Re:Wireless Broadband 4 years 2 months ago #13554

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
ladyweathers wrote:

We live basically around the corner from you but on 2310 and a bit closer to town. Verizon has extended it's fiber optic service to include our part of the world. We signed up, installed a router, and now have very fast and reliable wireless at the house.

When I travel I use the AT&T wireless service which is very fast when I am in a 3G area, but I can not get a 3G connection at home.

Re:Wireless Broadband 4 years 2 months ago #13569

• trukdoc55
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sw
If speed is the absolute factor, Hughsnet, hands down. They have several speed options for different costs If a faster than dialup is needed then there are several options.
I use a ATT aircard. I am here at CR 3341 and currently connected at 237 KBPS. The area is supposed to upgrade eventually to the 3G which is broadband fast. If you have a strong cell signal this might work for you.
I do not like Sprint for phone service but here in this area Sprint is the faster service for Air Cards.

The other advantage of the aircard is portability. When I travel I simply pack up the laptop with my aircard and anywhere there is a cell signal I can connect to the internet. Handy for e-mail. Map directions. What is in this town? Weather. And if you must, keep working. My Aunt works for an insurance company. They do not know when she is at the lake or coast. As long as she is answering the phone and making quotes over the internet her company is happy.
I have seen people take their Hughsnet satellite with them camping but it must be set up each time you move. Air card just needs a signal.

Re:Wireless Broadband 4 years 2 months ago #13579

• luvanimals
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the info. I can only get dialup where I live. Saw the big full page ad about suddenlink, checked on it and I can't get it where I live. :laugh: It is funny, I live 15 miles from SS.

Re:Wireless Broadband 4 years 2 months ago #13584

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
LOL...I can't get suddenlink where I live, 1 mile out of city limits. Of course it is the cable company, maybe that tells the rest of the story!

Re:Wireless Broadband 4 years 2 months ago #13617

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
I live 15 miles from SS and have DSL through Cumby Telephone Co-Op. Works as fast as Verizon DSL.

Re:Wireless Broadband 4 years 2 months ago #13626

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
I have found DSL to be the best if you can get it. The satellite systems are a little temperamental.

(If I put another dish on my property the black helicopters will come calling).
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu