Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion Window Stickers w/child's name
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Window Stickers w/child's name

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13458

• Jman
  • Senior Boarder
Ranchhand It was just a suggestion on protecting one's children. And rather you think it is crazy or not STG is right in saying that it could be a tool for predators and if you would consider it a "Crazy and Stupid" opinion, then you are blind to the real dangers of such a topic. And saying that it's on the parent if their child gets snatched is an insensitive thing to say to a parent who has been through that. For a person who has personal experiences with online predators should know that. the truth is that any number of umteen senarios could come true. Oh and I don't think people should take their guns out of their homes because they are dangerous to children, but I am agianst giving guns to child predators. ;)

Reminder: just my opinion, don't get upset over my comments because that's stupid.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13459

• SmallTownGal
Pretty good summation, Jman, and for that, a Karma bump for you. :)

I wanted to add something that I forgot earlier and this is directed to Ranchhand.

I would hope that if I were to approach someone and share my concerns that they would, instead of calling me crazy and to take my stupid opinion elsewhere, see that I have a care for all kids and show a general concern for other people's children. That doesn't make me crazy, that makes me a caring person.

A lot of people have gotten into the routine of thinking 'it's none of my business' or 'it's not my problem' and I think that's sad. That would kind of be like seeing my neighbor's house being broken into and seeing the person who did it and not reporting it or saying anything because it wasn't my place that was broken into and my stuff stolen. I think that any kind of suggestion to keep a child safe should be welcomed and not condemned because you never know if or when that suggestion will save a life.

Oh, and I would never suggest taking guns out of a house because they are dangerous to children. I would hope, however, that the gun owner, like myself, is responsible and locks their gun or guns up or keeps it where the child can't get to it.

:)
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by SmallTownGal.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13460

Maybe folks should worry more about their own backyards and not try and jump the fence. I don't think he was calling you crazy (btw, you started the name calling, so If you can't take it don't dish it out in the first place), but ya, I guess If some random person came up to me in a parking lot and said my sticker on the back window was an invite for a child predator...... I may be inclined to tell them to mind their own business too. Probably depends on how the person went about it. I would be willing to bet you may not be too tactful about it though. I may be way off, but I sense some hostility in you when someone questions your proclamations. Oh and momof2, I'm due for a karma decrease in about 5 more hours. Don't forget now. :laugh:
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by SouthernBaptist.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13461

• SmallTownGal
SouthernBaptist wrote:
Maybe folks should worry more about their own backyards and not try and jump the fence. I don't think he was calling you crazy (btw, you started the name calling, so If you can't take it don't dish it out in the first place), but ya, I guess If some random person came up to me in a parking lot and said my sticker on the back window was an invite for a child predator...... I may be inclined to tell them to mind their own business too. Probably depends on how the person went about it. I would be willing to bet you may not be too tactful about it though. I may be way off, but I sense some hostility in you when someone questions your proclamations. Oh and momof2, I'm due for a karma decrease in about 5 more hours. Don't forget now. :laugh:

I think that Ranchhand was speaking in general when he typed crazy and as such I responded in general.

I'm going to be nice and end all conversations with you from this post on. You have no respect for me or my opinion and you keep proving it with every letter you type. You obviously hold a grudge because of the breast feeding doll thread but you know what, I got over that and I would have hoped you did too. Obviously you didn't since every chance you get you bring it up and use it as and excuse not to post on a particular subject. It's sad that people can't be respectful of other's opinion and respond in a respectful manner. Your response set the tone to the way I responded to you on this thread. If you have something nice to say or you can be more respectful to the opinions of others then I may reconsider engaging in conversation or debate.

Until then, I wish you and yours well and that's with all sincerety.

:unsure:

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13462

• Momof2boyz
  • Fresh Boarder
SouthernBaptist wrote:
Oh and momof2, I'm due for a karma decrease in about 5 more hours. Don't forget now. :laugh:

Keep giving me a reason and I will. If you don't give me a reason I won't. Essentially, you are the one who's dropping your karma. I'm just pushing the thumbs down button.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13463

• SmallTownGal
posted my last response again when I tried to edit.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13464

Wow. I truly did not know I was going on with you on another thread. I remember the thread but really didn't remember the players. You have a good memory. Thanks for reminding me. I wondered where the anomosity was coming from out of you with the 'rude' comment. But your plan sounds like a good one. You are right, I have lost all respect for you so from here on out, the best to you and yours. If you choose to respond I will just have to let you have your mental victory and allow you to have the last word. ;)

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13465

• anon
  • Platinum Boarder
It's been several years since my kids were young, but we used to have the names of all the kids on their ball uniforms. I don't know if they do it now or not, but a warning was issued way back then that it was definitely not a safe practice. This was not just a local suggestion, it was something people all over were being warned about. Search Megan, and you will find the website for the California Attorney General that specifically states to NOT have your children's names on their clothing. It also reminds us to take time to teach our kids about safety and speaking out. No amount of precaution is too great if it saves one child from being hurt.

We have been fortunate that we don't have the frequent violence that happens in the larger cities, but we definitely have not been without some pretty violent acts in the last few years. I do realize we have always had crimes here, but the level of some of the crimes seem to have elevated, and it is scary.

I have lived here almost all of my life, and have always enjoyed watching people. In my earlier days, I knew most everyone I saw and if I didn't, the people I was with knew them. It's just not like that now days. Roaming through town, I see people I know, but I see so many more people that I have never seen before. That alone would make me want to take more precautions if I still had young kids at home. I definitely take extra precautions when I have my grandkids. There is no way I feel safe in letting them go to the toy department without me as I could with my own kids.

I someone thinks they need to know a child's name, then the parents have the right to tell them, but if there's a pedophile lurking around, I sure wouldn't want to give them anything that would make it easier for them to satisfy their perversions.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13467

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
You know, I've never thought about a situation like the OP (original poster) brought up. It's a very valid point -- putting the names of your kids on your car could lead to some psycho snatching them!

Does anyone know where I can get a few of those stickers?? I'm just saying ...... B)

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13472

jbourne wrote:
You know, I've never thought about a situation like the OP (original poster) brought up. It's a very valid point -- putting the names of your kids on your car could lead to some psycho snatching them!

Does anyone know where I can get a few of those stickers?? I'm just saying ...... B)

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13473

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Might be because of all the youth protection training we adult volunteers go through in the Boy Scouts.
Could be my associan with criminal justice people.
Could have come from friends who's kids have had bad experiences.
Could be from stories told to me from youth & family councelors.....

Mahaps I'm just paranoid and over protective.
:silly:
Silly Me.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13480

• tjs
  • Gold Boarder
Trying to look on the bright side...I believe southernbaptist has apologized (in a way) to stg in this thread not once, but twice!! :cheer:

Oh, and I vote against the names on the stickers. I have some I've been given in activities we've done, and I can't bring myself to put them on. Just get a funny feeling about it, although I don't think the child predator thing is entirely it. Although, I'm sure the kids feel good that mom or dad are proud of what they're doing.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13482

• SmallTownGal
tjs wrote:
Trying to look on the bright side...I believe southernbaptist has apologized (in a way) to stg in this thread not once, but twice!! :cheer:

Oh, and I vote against the names on the stickers. I have some I've been given in activities we've done, and I can't bring myself to put them on. Just get a funny feeling about it, although I don't think the child predator thing is entirely it. Although, I'm sure the kids feel good that mom or dad are proud of what they're doing.

Nope, just once then it was followed up by another snide and rude comment which then deflected from the apology of accusing me of stealing their karma. ;)

At least you followed your gut feeling about the stickers. :)

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13483

nm

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 1 month ago #13561

• deckofficer
  • Expert Boarder
I put those stickers on corkboards in their room! Why decorate your vehicle with any kind of statement?It just invites people to think about you and your political/social/religious beliefs.No need.Any kind of bumper sticker or those silly peeing on things window decals just makes me shake my head.Besdies,what if you want to sell your car later? Those things are a PAIN to remove
read my blog if you're bored.
echobasetoechoseven.blogspot.com/
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu