Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion Window Stickers w/child's name
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Window Stickers w/child's name

Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13434

• SmallTownGal
I am so glad that Little Susy and Little Joe are involved in extra curricular activities, like dance and all the travelling sports. I am also glad that you are proud of your children enough to advertise that they are involved in those activities. But when you put their name under the sticker that says what activities they are involved in on the back windshield of your soccer mom or dad vehicle do you know who else is glad? Your local pedophile or any freak that gets his jollies off on little girls and boys.

Just think, you drop your child off at dance or soccer practice and you are a few minutes late picking them up. Your local freak/pedophile is sitting outside and he knows your child's name because it's on your back windshield. He goes to your sweet little Sue and says, "Hi, Sue. You're Mom got busy and asked me to pick you up." Sounds far fetched, right? The coach is watching or your child knows not to get in the car with strangers. Try this one on for size. You've just picked up little Johnny from soccer practice. A child molester is behind you and you don't know it. He sees you pull into your driveway. He now knows where you live, what your child's name is and what one of his favorite activities is. A few days pass and Little Johnny is playing outside in the front yard and that child molester drives down the road and calls Little Johnny by name. Little Johnny goes up to his car because his name was just called. He thinks maybe it's someone in the neighborhood. The child molester has just nabbed your child. Scary, huh?

Look, I'm not against those stickers that have the team names and what dance studio your child goes to. I'm against you putting your child's name on your windshield. It's dangerous and most police departments and sheriff's departments advise against it. Why would you want to advertise your child's name? Your friends, family and neighbors already know your child's name. Do you want every freak and weirdo to know their name, too?

I think I'm going to make it my mission to point this out to people when I see it. Sorry I've rambled but this is something that seriously scares me and it should you too.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13437

Oh for Heavens sake. If someone is coniving enough to try and pull something like that, they don't need the kids first name. I would be more worried of someone taking my child by force than that scenerio. We taught our children from a very young age, no matter who it is... if it's not a family member or a very close friend that you have met before, we didn't send them to pick you up. For any reason. No matter what they say.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13438

oops double post
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by SouthernBaptist.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13440

• SmallTownGal
SouthernBaptist wrote:
Oh for Heavens sake. If someone is coniving enough to try and pull something like that, they don't need the kids first name. I would be more worried of someone taking my child by force than that scenerio. We taught our children from a very young age, no matter who it is... if it's not a family member or a very close friend that you have met before, we didn't send them to pick you up. For any reason. No matter what they say.

You are seriously RUDE! No post that is a warning deserves a starting sentence of "Oh for Heavens sake."

Go to any police department and see what they recommend you do and what they say about your child's name being advertised on a car window. It goes back to the "Stranger Danger" rules. You don't put your child's name where it's visible on his/her clothes, their backpacks or on your vehicle. It gives child predators more information than what they need in the first place. When a child hears their name there is going to be a trust, however small it is. When you add the child's name plus an activity you've just really gained their trust. Kind of like approaching a child with candy or the age old "I've lost my dog. Can you help me find him?" Pull at a child's heartstrings and you can pull them into the car.

www.wyff4.com/news/21501207/detail.html

Good for you for teaching your children about stranger safety some people forget about it. But why draw more attention to your child that what's necessary?
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by SmallTownGal.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13441

And you seriously have NO CLASS. Just stating my opinion. It is a forum. I am very sorry if I offended you with the opening sentence of my post. Guess you'll start the karma decreasing on me now like last time. Go for it. :) Oh yea, I know of at least one police officer who's wife has the 'sticker'. I don't care too much for the looks of the stickers because they are usually kinda gaudy looking, but to each his own. Now simmer down.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13442

• SmallTownGal
I won't give you the satisfaction of a response other than I'm not one to decrease someone's karma for any reason.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13443

lol.... right.(sarcasm intented)

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13444

• Jman
  • Senior Boarder
Enough already. STG has a valid point, if anything else a great suggestion on this topic. And SB you have a good point also, parents should educate thier children on these things. It may have been a rather long intial post, but as you said SB this is a forum and that's what these things are for. You both seem to agree that things such as children being taken are a threat, but see eye to eye. Why fight for the same team and tackle each other at the same time. SB we've been on the same side of the opinion in the past, and I belive we all three have, but It's the same thing as the suggesting of listing names in your cell phone as aposed to "mom" "home" "dad" ect. And the same for GPSs instead of "home" "mom and dad's" ect. Law enforcment says to list addresses. There is a slim chance that someone could get your phone and use the names like the stickers, and reverse the GPS directions and rob you, but regardless of how slim a chance something could happen, there is still that slim chance. Any tips are good to know no matter how long winded you get while informing an audience. I'm sure we're on the same page.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13445

Your right Jman. I should have been above the 'noclass/rude' kinds of comments.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13449

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
No Names.... it's not safe.
You wouldn't believe the dangers out there these days.
Don't make it any easier for them.

Educate your kids to the dangers and how to avoid them.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13451

• Ranchhand
  • Junior Boarder
I am honestly surprises that this has become that big of issue. Of coarse there are possibilities that your children could get snatched up on the scenerio that gal stated. But there are thousands of scenerio where your kids could be in danger. They could sit at tour kids ball game and hear people call that kids name out at then he knows the kids name. Window stickers should be a less concern than what you all are making it. People could watch your house everyday and learn your routine and break in to your house when you are at work during the day. Are you concerned with your kid having a myspace or facebook? Because from experience there is more threats on there than the sticker on the car. If you feel your child could be harmed from those stickers then don't put them on your car.

Next thing I'll hear is how you want guns taken out of the homes because they are a danger to children. Protect your own kids and let other people raise their kids the way they want asmlong as they are not physically hurting them. Are you worried that much that you can't protect your kids? Teach your kids what to do and what not to do and they should be fine. They get snatched, that's on you. Doesn't matter if you had a sticker or not.

Could your kid look at that sticker and take pride in it? Maybe it builds up their confidence. Something we should be helping kids do everyday. But if you walk up to me and try to tell me thaty kids sticker could lure predetors I'll calll you crazy and to take your stupid opinions elsewhere. No one wants to hear that you don't like them having their kids nes in their car.

Reminder: just my opinion, don't get upset over my comments because that's stupid.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13452

• SmallTownGal
Ranchhand wrote:

Reminder: just my opinion, don't get upset over my comments because that's stupid.

When you state your opinion respectfully why would I get upset? When you get rude is when I have the problem. You weren't rude in stating your opinion.

I don't disagree with you that the sticker may bring pride to the child and I'm not saying don't put the sticker on your vehicle. I'm saying putting the child's NAME under the sticker, or anywhere on the car, is dangerous. You can leave the child's name off and it still bring pride and joy and all the confidence that goes along with it.

Stan~Glad to see someone agrees. :)
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by SmallTownGal.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13453

Thanks for the karma job stg.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13454

• Momof2boyz
  • Fresh Boarder
SouthernBaptist wrote:
Thanks for the karma job stg.

STG didn't decrease your karma, I did. I'd like the credit from here on out and I'll also tell you that I'm one of the ones that stole your karma before.

Re:Window Stickers w/child's name 4 years 3 months ago #13455

Sorry STG. Ty Mom. Hope I helped make your evening a little better. :)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu