Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Memorial Day

Memorial Day 4 years 6 months ago #13427

• trukdoc55
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sw
When I was a kid it seems like so long ago and in some ways just like yesterday. But a very vivid memory I have is that everyone on days like Memorial day, 4th of July and the other days to put out your flag. Nearly EVERY house had a flag out. Bright Red, White and Blue flags as far as I could see. These days were very patriotic, and as a kid it instilled a sense of pride in me and at that time I did not even know why. I later learned why first hand.
This morning while driving through Sulphur Springs, very few houses had a flag displayed to honor our fallen soldiers. It occurred to me that Americans have forgotten what gift soldiers have given them.
We have gotten to thinking it is Government that gives us everything and we somehow are entitled.
The only entitlement I need are Freedom and Liberty, the rest I can make for myself using my God given talents.
Freedom and Liberty have been paid for in a way that can only be repaid by treasuring the gift given to all of us with their blood.
And the smallest of gestures seems to bee too much trouble, simply to display a flag for them.
God help America, we are in deep trouble.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Memorial Day 4 years 6 months ago #13428

Very true. Good reminder post. Thank you to all our Soldiers who fought and died for our country. I wasn't around during the older war times. I wonder if those flags flew constantly during the wars. I bet they did.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by SouthernBaptist.

Re:Memorial Day 4 years 6 months ago #13435

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
Good posts, both of you. I'm reminded of a speech by a local attorney once where he blasted businesses for having "Memorial Day" Sales. I don't mind a Washington's Birthday Sale, a Labor Day Sale or an Arbor Day sale - but there should only be one reason to observe Memorial Day. And a sale is not it. Thanks to the Kiwanis Club for putting all the flags up in Sulphur Springs.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu