LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion Fine dining, children and parenting revisited
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fine dining, children and parenting revisited

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 4 months ago #13348

• trukdoc55
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sw
SouthernBaptist wrote:
Truckdoc...That post was by a lady on another thread about kids at fine restaurants. We were disagreeing. The thing I took from her post, as quoted above, was that she didn't care about other diners feelings, it was all about her kids and her 'right' as a parent to take them anywhere she chose. Even if it meant inconviencing others.
I'm with you on your post. It's all about a kids ability to act appropriate in a grown up enviroment. If they can pull it off, hey.. I say bring 'em on. I have never met a kid under 5 who can do it. Nothing against the child, kids just don't reach that maturity level that early. Guess my cough thingy didn't make it clear that I was totally disagreeing with her. :lol:

My apologies. It appeared as it came from you. I was wondering what the cough thingy was.

I will say one more thing that will tend to ruffle feathers of the ones that the shoe fits. As a child I was not just taught to behave in a fancy restaurant, I had to behave equally well at the dinner table at home.
And it is my belief that is where manners start.
Observing how kids speak to their parents these days, it is clear not much in the way of respect and manners are in the home anymore. Sad. :(
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 4 months ago #13349

• trukdoc55
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sw
muu wrote:
truk wrote:
"The problem lies in that too many have the attitude of "I will do as I damn well please regardless of how it affects others". We as a society have lost all respect for others and ourselves. This is not EVERYONE but too many. Shoe fits wear it."

I hope you are not one that this shoe fits. If so, I hope the only place I ever run I ever happen to dine when you and your kids are there is McDonald's where your kids can be as rude and obnoxious as they please.

:(
You have not read my post very well. Try again!
I will take a kid to the restroom in a heartbeat!!!

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 4 months ago #13352

• SmallTownGal
muu wrote:
I hope you are not one that this shoe fits. If so, I hope the only place I ever run I ever happen to dine when you and your kids are there is McDonald's where your kids can be as rude and obnoxious as they please.

:(

I'm sorry, but I will politely disagree with your statement about kids being as rude and obnoxious as they want to be at McDonald's. Just because a restaurant has a playground and is designed to cater more towards the youth doesn't mean they can act however they wish. Allowing a child to be rude and obnoxious at McDonald's is going to make the child think that that behavior is acceptable anywhere.

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 4 months ago #13353

• trukdoc55
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sw
Well that is truly not what I said if you were to read my complete posts. But Mc Donalds is far more acceptable than a fine resturant. To be clear, manners and respect for others should ALWAYS be the order of the day wherever we are.

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 4 months ago #13354

• SmallTownGal
trukdoc55 wrote:
Well that is truly not what I said if you were to read my complete posts. But Mc Donalds is far more acceptable than a fine resturant. To be clear, manners and respect for others should ALWAYS be the order of the day wherever we are.

Are you responding to my post, trukdoc? If you are, with all due respect, I was NOT addressing you. If I were addressing you then I would include a quote from you, kind of like I am now. I was responding to Muu's post on page 1 of this thread, which is why I quoted Muu.

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 4 months ago #13360

• tjs
  • Gold Boarder
I'll let you know what I think if I'm ever able to take all my kids to a 'fine dining' establishment :lol: Our 'fine dining' experience is anyplace with a buffet or where you don't stand in line at the counter to place your order.

My kids have done well on some occasions and acted pretty rotten on others, depending on their moods and ages. We try to teach as we go--do our best not to bother the people around us, and have any hair left on our heads when this whole child-rearing experience is over!!!!

And, overall, if I'm out without my kids and someone else's is misbehaving, I hope I have as much empathy for those folks as I possibly can---with the exception of throwing food on my lap or a parent ignoring a child who's running all over the place. If they're making an effort to keep their kids under control and the little darling (for lack of any other acceptable word) isn't cooperating, I SO understand how frustrating it can be.

I've sat outside a restaurant with a child while my DH got to go boxes for our food. Not a fun evening (and thankfully hasn't happened for many years!)

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 4 months ago #13361

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
tjs, even though we've probably never been in the restaurant at the same time - let me thank you for your efforts. i understand completely that sometimes, kiddos can get the best of us. it's wise parents like yourselves that will just pick and go home at that point. i commend you for your efforts in teaching your kids and taking the time and patience in doing it right. it'll do well for them when they're adults as well.

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 4 months ago #13362

• muu
  • Gold Boarder
tjs, I hate to tell you that you won't have much time between the time the youngest one is out of the house and the oldest brings in grandkids.

The grandkids are the light of my life, but two of mine have blown their privilege of my taking them for treats at The Creamery in the Dairy Museum. I really hate that because I love the strawberry ice cream there. { Their banana splits are the picture-perfect old-fasioned ones. }

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 4 months ago #13364

• tjs
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Muu :unsure:

You're right, I'm sure. There are 9 years difference between my oldest and my youngest.

On another note, I just heard from someone else about the ice cream shop at the Dairy Museum. Apparently, they're open until 4 pm every day? I never think about going in there for a treat. Thanks for reminding me!!! Now, will the kids behave????

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 4 months ago #13368

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
It seems when I was a kid every adult had a switch hidden somewhere, no matter where we were and if any of us youngans acted up, one of the adults, regardless who's kid it was, we got to meet the ole switch in front of God and everyone. (Dang, talk about a run on sentence). It did however teach us if we don't want a whipping, in public, and get completely embarrassed, we had better be on our best behavior. Now-a-days my whole family would have CPS crawling down their necks. My, how kids and the "nanny state" have changed.

Now, let me be clear. I am in no way supporting any kind of child abuse, just discipline. The sign above my Aunt's paddle said, "Spare the rod, spoil the child." She enforced that religiously.

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 3 months ago #13369

sniper101 wrote:
It seems when I was a kid every adult had a switch hidden somewhere, no matter where we were and if any of us youngans acted up, one of the adults, regardless who's kid it was, we got to meet the ole switch in front of God and everyone. (Dang, talk about a run on sentence). It did however teach us if we don't want a whipping, in public, and get completely embarrassed, we had better be on our best behavior. Now-a-days my whole family would have CPS crawling down their necks. My, how kids and the "nanny state" have changed.

Now, let me be clear. I am in no way supporting any kind of child abuse, just discipline. The sign above my Aunt's paddle said, "Spare the rod, spoil the child." She enforced that religiously.

I had one of those ole' timey east TX grandmas. She threatened us with the 'razor strap' if we ever got out of line. Of course we never got it (but we got the regular belt on occassion), and if we did, I don't remember it being too traumatizing. But I guarantee you, just the threat of something called a razor strap lined us right on out. Oh yea, we knew exactly how to act in public with grandma. But out there in the yard, we could act as goofy as we wanted. Ah..... the good ole' days.

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 3 months ago #13370

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
Discipline is one of those words that has fallen into limbo, along with conscience, responsibility, pride, humility, ethics, and so forth.

My Mother would take a hand to me (German-Irish: which is a deadly combo), but my Dad never touched me. However, those looks he gave me were far harder to take than the belt. The look of disappointment in his eyes was like a dagger to my heart.

Anyway, on a positive note, the kids south of the Mason Dixon line are far more courteous to their elders than the children of the North (trust me). Must be the Bible belt influence! And that's a good thing.
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 3 months ago #13371

• SmallTownGal
Gabrovic wrote:
Anyway, on a positive note, the kids south of the Mason Dixon line are far more courteous to their elders than the children of the North (trust me). Must be the Bible belt influence! And that's a good thing.

Pretty bold statement there, don't you think? I don't think it has anything to do with the Bible belt influence or what side of the Mason Dixon your were born on. What it boils down to is the way the child is being raised and the way they see their parents treat elders.

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 3 months ago #13373

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
Gabrovic wrote:
Discipline is one of those words that has fallen into limbo, along with conscience, responsibility, pride, humility, ethics, and so forth....

I have to agree with the first part of your statement, but disagree with the second part that I have quoted. Kids are kids everywhere, and you have bad parenting everywhere as well.

Why should I trust you to make such a blanket statement? I have lived most of my adult life here in Sulphur Springs, but have been blessed to be able to experience life in many many areas of the country. I have extended family all over the country, north south east and west, and travel extensively. I have been to all 48 of the continental states and have visited Puerto Rico, Canada, Chile and Mexico. Maybe in your experience, the kids here in the Bible Belt are more courteous, but I have just the opposite opinion. As a matter of fact, the worst I have ever experienced is within a 60 mile radius of home, and to avoid embarrassing the Preacher and his wife, who are ,the parents of the kids involved, I will not pinpoint the location more than that. The kids terrorized the staff and patrons of the establishment while the parents blissfully ignored them. Management finally asked them to leave. Wondering if they were influenced by just the Bible, and not enough belt.

Re:Fine dining, children and parenting revisited 4 years 3 months ago #13374

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
We'll have to agree to disagree.
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu