LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: SSISD

SSISD 4 years 7 months ago #13240

Just wondering if anyone else wonders about this. My son recently graduated from SSHS and was an A/B student. He is now in college. What I noticed throughout his HS career was the fact that he never had homework or studied for tests. He said they always gave them time to finish it in study hall. One class he said all they did was watch movies most of the time. The problem lies when they go off to college, they literally have not developed good study habits. He is slowly getting them down, but In my opinion, our school district is failing to prepare these kids for the study workload that college brings. Luckily he is on an athletic scholarship and they make very sure those boys do well in class, by means of a daily 2 hour study hall and a stearn talking to by the coach if they lag. He has had to get used to actually having to do homework at night... a concept that he never really dealt with in high school. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:SSISD 4 years 7 months ago #13242

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
It's hard to really question your high schooler when they bring home good grades as your son did. He is indeed fortunate to have the assistance of the athletic department setting up tutoring and study time for him. How hard must it be for those with similar experiences in high school that are thrown into the mix without the help your son receives.

Re:SSISD 4 years 7 months ago #13243

Ya, I was thinking that same thing. I wonder if he wasn't getting the extra help in college how he would fare. I know there are some great teachers at ssisd, but I really wish he would have been given some homework projects in high school like he receives in college. The work load is night and day compared to the hs work load. I have heard this from a couple of other parents whose kids are now in college, so I don't think it's just mine. Kudos to the great teachers at SSISD, but shame on those who are doing just enough to get the kid passed out of the class. If your only goal is to get the kid a hs diploma, then you've done your job. But If your goal is trying to getting the kid ready for college life(study habits), your not faring too well in that department.(last part directed at the later type)

Re:SSISD 4 years 7 months ago #13244

• new2country
  • Senior Boarder
My son is in middle school here. We were in a school district in the metroplex. Compared to there, he does have less homework here. When I asked about this it was due to policies. From what I understand teachers are not allowed to give much homework and some days they are not allowed to give any. I believe the written district policy is 20 minutes per night. The teachers here seem to be very good, but I agree this is an area of weakness.
I do not miss the 1-2 hours of homework he used to have on 3-4 nights a week last year, don't get me wrong. I do however, agree that study habits have to be built early. There should be some happy medium.

Re:SSISD 4 years 7 months ago #13245

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
When I was in school we had homework every night. When I moved to SS, never had homework. I thought I was in heaven.

Re:SSISD 4 years 7 months ago #13251

• MsHaggie
  • Senior Boarder
SouthernBaptist wrote:
..., but shame on those who are doing just enough to get the kid passed out of the class. If your only goal is to get the kid a hs diploma, then you've done your job. But If your goal is trying to getting the kid ready for college life(study habits), your not faring too well in that department.(last part directed at the later type)

We are in a big city school district and I have seen the same thing with my son who is now in college and he doesn't play sports in college so he doesn't have the help of the tutoring/study halls. And I will tell you what happens, they make Cs and Ds when they were used to making As and Bs and never studying.

But I am not sure the reason they didnt have homeword is because they had teachers who didn't care. I think it is because my son chose not to take Pre-AP/AP classes and the teachers in the "regular" or "Academic" classes had to teach to the level of the lowest kids in the class. However, my son for one, should have been in the accelerated classes and struggling to make a B but learning how to do hours upon hours of homework and maybe how to study (i still have doubts that the schools still teach that and of course they won't listen to their parents).

As to the spelling issue in another thread. I was told in later elementary years to let him write and not worry about spelling - they wanted to encourage the creativity in the child and not inhibit them by making them worry about spelling, BIG mistake I thought then and I KNOW now! :ohmy:

Re:SSISD 4 years 7 months ago #13254

• tjs
  • Gold Boarder
I agree with every comment on this thread. Homework is minimal, spelling is not corrected on papers, homework sheets, etc.

Another thing that bothers me is the kids being exempt from finals if their grades are high enough and they've passed TAKS, good attendance etc. I know it's an incentive for the school to get the kids to come to class, pass the TAKS, which affects the district's acedemic rating and state funding, but how many of these A/B students are going to be ready to study for college finals when they haven't taken one in four years?

Re:SSISD 4 years 7 months ago #13258

Well said.

Re:SSISD 4 years 7 months ago #13263

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
I think one of the problems -- and I could be wrong but I believe I have heard this before -- is that PARENTS have griped to the district so much about excessive homework for the kids, that the district has relented and put homework limits on the teachers. And Haggie is right, here at SS if the kids are not in the Pre-AP/AP classes, then they receive less work ... i.e., taught to the lowest level of the kid in the class. I wish someone from the school was on here to confirm the parental griping thing.
But, then again, when I was in high school so many years ago, I NEVER studied and it hurt in college. Took me a couple of years to learn how to study and my grades showed it the first year. :(

Re:SSISD 4 years 7 months ago #13312

• Sash
  • Senior Boarder
jbourne wrote:
I think one of the problems -- and I could be wrong but I believe I have heard this before -- is that PARENTS have griped to the district so much about excessive homework for the kids, that the district has relented and put homework limits on the teachers. :(

I've heard the same thing, that parents were complaining about the amount of homework their children had. It seems to me that if they cram all the work needed to learn during classes, wouldn't it be rushed?
\"All the world\'s a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed.\"
Sean O\'Casey

Re:SSISD 4 years 6 months ago #13381

• Ranchhand
  • Junior Boarder
I understand where everyone on here is coming from, but to an extent I disagree. I recently graduated from a four-year college and graduated from SSHS. The work at SSHS wasn't always easy, and wasn't always hard. I did take mostly Pre-AP classes but took one english class that was not Pre-AP. It was taught at a lower level and most of the class time was spent not being productive I do have problems with that. But many of the students in those classes don't expect more. Many of the students in lower level classes were trouble makers and didn't care for what the teacher had to say anyways or teach.

The Pre-AP classes challenged me to an extent, but most students helped each other with their work. The thing that prepared me the most for college was night classes taken at the Tech Center for college credit. Not only was it the cheapest amount of college credit I received, but it also prepared me for college to an extent.

Of course when I got to college it was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be, but thats college. It is what we expect. If you go to college and don't expect to work harder, then you're going for the wrong reason. There are always people there to help freshman work on their work ethics, but there is a reason that college degrees are not easy to get and are highly looked upon. If your son or daughter goes to college they should then they should know of the challenges and expectations that college will bring. They should also put their pride aside and go ask for help because many colleges offer free help.

Yes, the SSHS school system does not do a great job of preparing our students to achieve greatness in college, but I feel that every class of high school graduates has students who are prepared to excel and want to excel. So its really your son or daughter's decision to study hard. You can help them prepare by making them study. The one time in life that they are still under your control is the time that you can implement study habits by force. When they get to college, its all up to them.

Re:SSISD 4 years 6 months ago #13385

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
excellent post, and advice, ranchhand!

kids (teens) have to learn that they aren't just receivers of information - they have to be proactive to prepare for classes, even if they are still just in HS. it creates a discipline and work ethic, as you pointed out.

good luck in your endeavors, ranchhand. are you staying in the area?

Re:SSISD 4 years 6 months ago #13386

Your right. It does start at home with the parent and kid.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by SouthernBaptist.

Re:SSISD 4 years 6 months ago #13391

• Ranchhand
  • Junior Boarder
I will be moving back soon to SS and will hopefully be contributing my thoughts and opinions on here from time to time.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu