LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum General Discussion Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook.

Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13127

• Sash
  • Senior Boarder
Recently it's been mentioned, cell phones on school campus. Is this a good idea? My opinion remains the same, NO.
Today my affirmation of why students shouldn't even be allowed to carry cellular phones to school was strengthened even further. The buzz around my office is that students at the high school leaked the gas leak by posting about it on Facebook. I'm thinking 'Wow, why are the teachers and the principal so shocked and/ or upset? Students+ personal access to the internet via cell phones and iPods = information all over Facebook, Myspace etc. .... Surely if the News Telegram wanted to run a story about the chaos following a gas leak at the High School, it would be perfectly normal right? Now why can't those kids gab about it on Facebook, Twitter or MySpace? Just seems a little unfair to allow the students to carry cell phones (instant access to the internet) knowing they will blog about current events i.e. the gas leak and thenthe principal/ teachers get upset that they actually used their cell phones. Two parents in my office recieved numerous texts at the time of the evacuation from their children. I rolled my eyes at that because it's just another annoyance.The children, as told to me by one of the moms, went back to class after maybe 45 minutes.
I wish the school district would change the policy on carrying cell phones, iPods etc. because it's distracting to say the least. These children are lacking communication skills and missing out on education because they're too busy texting, sexting and blogging DURING SCHOOL HOURS!
Yes, I'm still peeved. :angry:

By starting this thread I hope to get other people's opinions and thoughts on the matter.
FYI I will not argue with parents who think their children being allowed to carry a cell phone to school is the best thing since sliced bread. You have your opinions and I have mine. :ohmy:
\"All the world\'s a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed.\"
Sean O\'Casey
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Sash.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13131

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
if you're not going to "argue" or debate the issue, what's the point in the thread? all you're soliciting are like minded replies since you posted "... I will not argue with parents who think their children being allowed to carry a cell phone to school is the best thing since sliced bread. You have your opinions and I have mine. "

my opinion : if there were a method to limit the child's access to their phone, then it's ok. i'm thinking that letting a parent know about a gas leak is something the parent should be made aware of. texting / sexting with friends during classroom time isn't something that needs to happen. accessing the internet during learning time isn't something that should be happening either. a parent contacting a child regarding something important (i.e. dr. appts, change in schedules, etc) would be acceptable, although perhaps between classes instead of during a class.

Re:Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13134

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
All I know is that I made it through 12 years of school and 5 years of college (that was too much fun to call it school -- and don't you have to go to class at a school?? :laugh: ) without a cell phone and my mom had no problem letting me know of any change in plans -- and I had no problem letting my mom know when I didn't feel good, etc.

Re:Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13138

• Heffie1
  • Gold Boarder
I think there needs to be limits on when the phone can be used. But I do think it is ok for them to have cell phones. If something (serious) is going on whose to say the school will tell us everything we need to know. But then again it is going to be a no win situation, because most of the time by the time it goes through the grapevine it is so blown out of preportion you can't believe half of what you hear.

What they need to be worrying about is all of the bullying that is going on at schools everywhere.
It is ridiculous for a child to take their own life over this.
If we open a quarrel between past and present, we shall find that we have lost the future.

Re:Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13139

• brad3510
  • Junior Boarder
DISCLAIMER: This is not a personal attack on anyone who has already posted to this thread...its just my humble opinion!

Lets be honest, if they didn't have cell phones, or ipods at school with them to distract them, there would be something else to distract them from classes. I didn't have a cell phone in high school, but i was just as distracted as they are now. As far as them being able to pull them out and use them during the gas leak yesterday, that is actually a good thing. If the problem had been bigger, and school would have needed to be dismissed for the day, how do you figure all 500-600 students who cant drive would get home for the day? they would need to call parents to come get them. How long would it take to do that if they were just using the 2-3 phones in the front office of the school? And of course yes, they could get the media outlets to announce on radio and online that parents needed to come pick their kids up, but not that many people are listening to local radio or looking at local websites while at work during the day.

But, if parents are that concerned with their kids using cell phones at school, there is a very simple solution to that problem...DONT GET THEM A CELL PHONE! or, limit their use. I work with teenagers and parents of teenagers on a daily basis and have seen some very creative ways of limiting phone use. Call your cell phone carrier, they can actually limit the hours during which the phone can be used. You can trace every phone call and text made from the phone if need be.

As far as the school being upset that it was on facebook, myspace, etc, thats just ridiculous...this was not a situation that needed to be kept secret...parents have the right to know when their children are in danger.

The school disctrict does have a policy on cell phones at school, and students are not supposed to use them at school...but that doesn't stop kids from doing it...once again, this is where the parents should be stepping in and taking control of the situation. if as a parent you dont want your child using their phone at school, then dont let them...

Re:Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13142

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Just check the history of calls on the phone and it tells you who was called and the time of the call.
But I don't think most parents care enough to check the kids phone to see if it's being used when they are in school.

We already have rules regarding phones in school. Like lots of rules and laws already on the books... they are not being enforced. And even if they are enforced, the penalty is so slight it's only laughed at.

Rules and laws with no teeth are ignored.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re:Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13146

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
The fee has been $15, but usually it is a joke; just as you stated, Stan. If a parent raises enough of a fuss, many times the school dismisses the fee. The kids can text without even looking at their phones. There will never be an end to all the mix up and problems.

Re:Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13147

• Sash
  • Senior Boarder
heartandmind wrote:
if you're not going to "argue" or debate the issue, what's the point in the thread?

Kicks? To have discussion.
all you're soliciting are like minded replies since you posted

Maybe. Maybe not.
"... I will not argue with parents who think their children being allowed to carry a cell phone to school is the best thing since sliced bread. You have your opinions and I have mine. "
That's what I said in the hope of having a discussion type thread without arguement. :cheer:
my opinion : if there were a method to limit the child's access to their phone, then it's ok. i'm thinking that letting a parent know about a gas leak is something the parent should be made aware of. texting / sexting with friends during classroom time isn't something that needs to happen. accessing the internet during learning time isn't something that should be happening either. a parent contacting a child regarding something important (i.e. dr. appts, change in schedules, etc) would be acceptable, although perhaps between classes instead of during a class.

In my opinion there's only one solid way to limit a child using a cell phone, iPod etc. at school and that is simply to not allow them to bring their 'toys' to school. If I needed to inform someone, a student, of a change in schedule or appointment time I would simply call the school and have the message relayed to the student. You know, like parents used to do.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. :)
Sean O\'Casey

Re:Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13148

• Sash
  • Senior Boarder
brad3510 wrote:
DISCLAIMER: This is not a personal attack on anyone who has already posted to this thread...its just my humble opinion!

Lets be honest, if they didn't have cell phones, or ipods at school with them to distract them, there would be something else to distract them from classes. I didn't have a cell phone in high school, but i was just as distracted as they are now. As far as them being able to pull them out and use them during the gas leak yesterday, that is actually a good thing. If the problem had been bigger, and school would have needed to be dismissed for the day, how do you figure all 500-600 students who cant drive would get home for the day? they would need to call parents to come get them. How long would it take to do that if they were just using the 2-3 phones in the front office of the school? And of course yes, they could get the media outlets to announce on radio and online that parents needed to come pick their kids up, but not that many people are listening to local radio or looking at local websites while at work during the day.

But, if parents are that concerned with their kids using cell phones at school, there is a very simple solution to that problem...DONT GET THEM A CELL PHONE! or, limit their use. I work with teenagers and parents of teenagers on a daily basis and have seen some very creative ways of limiting phone use. Call your cell phone carrier, they can actually limit the hours during which the phone can be used. You can trace every phone call and text made from the phone if need be.

As far as the school being upset that it was on facebook, myspace, etc, thats just ridiculous...this was not a situation that needed to be kept secret...parents have the right to know when their children are in danger.

The school disctrict does have a policy on cell phones at school, and students are not supposed to use them at school...but that doesn't stop kids from doing it...once again, this is where the parents should be stepping in and taking control of the situation. if as a parent you dont want your child using their phone at school, then dont let them...

Well said.

AND I wouldn't allow a child to have a cell phone. I don't think children are mature enough mentally or emotionally to handle the repercussions of what their playing around online brings. Cyber bullying, stalkers, and don't get me started on children posting pictures of themselves doing rediculous things....
Sean O\'Casey

Re:Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13149

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
I never thought about this before.... I wonder who comes up with the school rules? Is it a committee or the school board? Wonder if a meeting of the student council, teachers, and school board could come up with some rules for phones.... if they really thought phones were that much of a distraction.

I always thought having video surveillance cameras in the classes and in the school bus would be a good idea. Just so the "mommies" could see what their "sweet little angels" were really like.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?

Re:Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13151

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
i could buy that one, stan. but the kicker on that one is "funding".

there surveillence cameras on school buses here & when junior acts up, then the parental unit can see with their own eyes their brat being, well, bratty. doesn't always shut them up, but it sure cuts down on the debate time that's wasted in trying to explain the incident. of course, there's always "but he didn't start it...the other kid did this or that..."....yah, mom, he's still a jerk for smacking the kids in the face....or touching the girl inappropriatley.....or whatever happened on the bus.

if they could add cameras to hallways and classrooms, maybe even make them live feeds like day care centers do (then kids home sick could log in & catch the lesson as well?)....then everyone can see for themselves what really goes on in the schools today.

i'm tellin' ya, there's no way I have the patience to deal with that kind of environment - a room of 30 kids hyped on sugar, bouncing off the walls while listening to who knows what on their ipods, talking trash to everyone......yea, maybe there's a few in the group that's being "normal" - but how do you control a wild crowd or even only 3 or 4 & still get the lesson across to the rest of the room? especially without violating any of the "rules" the school district put in place for the kids protection?

no way could i be a teacher today.

Re:Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13153

• ProfLady
  • Junior Boarder
I see nothing wrong with children texting their parents abut something important that could have serious consequences like a gas leak no matter where they are. Do I think kids should be texting and on the internet during classtime - absolutely not. If it is their free time or lunch or in between classes it really shouldn't matter. Many state they didn't have cell phones in school - well these are different times and we need to change with them.

Many times teens/preteens don't use good judgement and post all kinds of stupid stuff on facebook/myspace but it is their right and we who are parents need to be overseeing just what they are saying and have them delete things we find inappropriate...

Cell phones in our children's hands are the greatest thing since sliced bread and also one of the worst things. when it gets out of hand. Taking all the cell phones away won't make life any easier...

Re:Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13158

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
but it is their right

Where is it stated that kids have a "right" to post on facebook, myspace, or anywhere. It's more a "privilege" than a "right." I would dare say that any kid having a cell phone, ipod, or other device is a "privilege" and not a "right."

Next thing they will be saying that health care is a "right." Oh wait, they already are.
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by sniper101. Reason: Add QUOTE

Re:Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13159

• Sash
  • Senior Boarder
Using the cell and or iPod between classes 'doesn't matter' until you start having children with excessive tardies which leads to multiple detentions.
Children not only use poor judgement when posting rediculous things on the internet, they use poor judgement when they sneakily use their cell during class.
And don't even get me started on the teens and adults that text and drive...
Sean O\'Casey

Re:Gas leak, cell phones and Facebook. 4 years 7 months ago #13162

• new2country
  • Senior Boarder
I think many of the points posted on here are valid. The fact is though, that we live in the beginning of the electronic social age. No matter what the school does, they are not going to stop the texting and posting. It's waaay to popular (with both kids and adults). I do think there there should be some policies in place to keep younger kids from using their phones in school, but once they reach middle/high school they will have them and they will bring them.

There will be, and always has been "items" that we as parents or educators think are distractions in school. When I went to school it was clothing, or when Walkmans first came out there was a big push to ban them in all schools. Social responsibility is the cure for this. Kids need to be taught when it is appropriate and when it is not. They wouldn't be kids if they always had great judgment though, but does that mean that we should remove the privilege from all of them for the bad judgment of the few?

I do have 2 kids, one in middle school and one in elementary. Both of my kids have cell phones, but neither has a Facebook or MySpace. They know when it is appropriate to use their phones, and I would always want them to have one for emergencies. (It has already saved my son's life once, but that is a different topic.) If the school enforced it's policy tomorrow that they could not even have their phones at school, I would still have them take it and put it in their locker or the bottom of their book bag. If they used bad judgment and had it taken away, I would have no issue with the school. These are life lessons... This is how we learn.
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu