LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: School Bond Election

School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1282

• Sammie
  • Platinum Boarder
Since I am a new member to the forum I felt I should read each and everyone's point of view. Having said that I remain astonished so many people have been influenced by the 'Hope" and "Change" rhetoric. Although no one has specifically stated such the mindset is prevalant. For the simple minded the correlation is that let's "Hope" we can pay for the "Change" a few people are pushing onto a community that cannot afford it. The school district is already capped on the amount of tax they are legally bound to charge so all they can do is raise your property values. The last time I looked the stated value of property in Sulphur Springs there is no surprise more people decline to move here. It's not because we don't have a Taj Mahal for a middle school.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1319

• Crazy8
  • Expert Boarder
You make a good point. There is a lot of property in Sulphur Springs but it's seems that it does not get maintained like it should or "nice" family-friendly neighborhood's are no longer so nice.

Re:School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1325

• Sammie
  • Platinum Boarder
You are right. The eloquent City Manager would have us believe his crews are making great strides in eliminating substandard properties but in fact I am aware of cases in which condemed properties sit ununtouched for years while he focuses on his pet projects.

Re:School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1328

• Crazy8
  • Expert Boarder
One such property is on my street, although it hasn't been condemned, it should be and has been sitting in the same condition for over 3 years. The whole neighborhood has written letters of complaint and requests but the half burned house still remains there, an eyesore to the neighborhood! (BTW, broken, empty windows aren't even boarded up and it's overrun with stray cats!)
If I had a dozer, I think I'd tear it down myself!!

Re:School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1329

• Crazy8
  • Expert Boarder
Oh yeah Sammie, nice to have you on the forum board! Keep it up! TTYL

Re:School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1347

• Sammie
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Crazy8. I'll be around.

Re:School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1372

One correction.
The school district does not raise property value. That is done by the Hopkins County Appraisal District, which sets the value for all taxing entities in the county -- school, city, county and hospital.
You can blame each entity for the tax rates they set, but you can't fairly blame them for the appraised value of your property.

Re:School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1401

• Sammie
  • Platinum Boarder
If you are digging for an intelligent response you'll have to do better than that. They are all taxing intenties with the same interests in mind. The betterment of THEIR interests at the sacrifice of the population. Their ability to achieve that goal is contingent on their ability to politic the, primarily uneducated, publick.

Re:School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1431

I'm not sure what you meant by the "intelligent response" comment.
The fact is that the Appraisal District works independently of the taxing entities to establish property values. The Appraisal District does not levy taxes. It's budget is paid for by the other taxing entities.
The Appraisal District uses recent property sales and comparative values in other towns to set the property value in Hopkins County. The process by which the values are done is regulated by the state.
The school, city, county and hospital district do not have input into values.
Property values and tax rates are two totally separate animals, though they both affect us as taxpayers.
If you have a problem with your home value, you take it up with the Appraisal District. If you have a problem with the tax rate, you take it up with the school board, county commissioners, city council or hospital board.
This is the best "intelligent response" I can give. If you have a more "intelligent response" as to how property values and tax rates are derived, I'd like to hear it.

Re:School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1439

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
Kudos Joe!

Re:School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1446

• Sammie
  • Platinum Boarder
Texans pay more in property taxes than for any other state or local tax. In
2001, Texas school districts, cities, counties, and special-purpose districts
levied more than $25 billion in property taxes, of which school districts
accounted for 60 percent. The property tax system also is subject to more
contention than any other tax system, partly because of its connection with
the formulas for distributing state aid to local schools, the largest single item
in the state budget.
The backbone of the property tax system — and perhaps the largest bone
of contention — is the appraisal of taxable property within each taxing entity,
particularly within school districts. Despite state-mandated procedures for
determining local property values, local appraisals are notoriously subjective;
ask five different appraisers to put a value on a piece of property, it is said,
and they will produce five different figures. Yet each year, the state faces the
task of ensuring equal and uniform appraisals within more than 3,500 local
taxing units.
For example, a survey by the Harris County tax
assessor-collector found that the taxable value of residence homesteads
rose by more than 46 percent from 1996 to 2001, while
average tax bills rose by almost 57 percent. Statewide,
the taxable value of single-family dwellings rose
by 40 percent during that period, according to the
Comptroller’s Office.

www.hro.house.state.tx.us/focus/property.pdf

Re:School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1454

Part of the reason Texas has such high property taxes is because we don't have a state income tax. We could definitely lower property taxes if we have a state income tax, but that's a can of worms I'm not willing to open.
The only property I own is my homestead, and I think it's appraised at about the right value. We've lived in the same house for 16 years, and it was probably undervalued when we moved in. If we were to put it on the market, I figure we'd get at least the amount it is appraised for. I realize there are others whose situations are probably entirely different.

Re:School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1457

• Sammie
  • Platinum Boarder
You're fortunate Joe in that you could sell for appraised value. Maybe my hame was under valued 16 years ago when I bought it , however, the appraised value has doubled and I would be in hog heaven if it would bring appraised value. BTW I am quite familar with the dispute process.

Re:School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1473

• lucy
  • Junior Boarder
This is a problem joe- your home is under appraised and mine is over appraised. You are not paying your share so I have to make up for it. The new american way.

Re:School Bond Election 5 years 3 months ago #1475

• townsend
  • Platinum Boarder
You are right on the money LUCY- mine is taxed much higher than its worth. Joe you should call the appraisal district and get that straightened out. They will happily increase your taxes to fair value.
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu