LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fiction

Re: Fiction 3 years 7 months ago #15139

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
I have not read THE DISCOVERY OF WITCHES. You have spurred my interest. I have almost completed the second book I mentioned. It is almost as good as the first one I read. After going back and rereading my comment, I make it seem both books have the same characters. They don't!! Rosalyn is suppose to speak at an event at SMU Literary Festival this Thursday. Did you see the "Pluggers" cartoon in the DMN yesterday? It states: "A plugger believes a book in the hand is worth two in the Kindle." I love both ways. The Kindle just makes it so easy to carry so many books with you, especially when you have limited space to carry things; and when they can be downloaded in around 13 seconds--WOW! But feeling those pages in your fingers and taking in the aroma from those same pages, is a wonderful experience as well. I've got to start reading the books for the two book clubs like NOW. Keep on giving us those wonderful reviews.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Fiction 3 years 7 months ago #15146

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm about 1/3 of the way into my second reading of THE DISCOVERY OF WITCHES. I missed a LOT during the first pass. Just finised re-reading THE LINCOLN LAWYER. Forgot a lot of the details there, too. Have you seen the movie? It's fabulous.

Am supposed to get some telephone time with Michael Connelly next week, if everything falls into place. Am so happy for his success with THE LINCOLN LAWYER ... he really is a nice guy with a huge heart. He donated over 30 autographed copies of BLOODWORK to an auction to raise money for a friend who needed a heart transplant.

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15151

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
PC. Are those books on your Kindle or do you have hard copies? If hard copies, can I borrow them? Thanks.

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15153

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
They are on my Kindle, but there is some way to loan them to another Kindle user for a couple of weeks. I have to look at that manual (that's embedded in the device) to see how to do that task. It can be done! I'd be glad to share.

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15204

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
THE FIFTH WITNESS, Michael Connelly's new LINCOLN LAWYER novel is set for release tomorrow. Check out my review in Tuesday's paper.

It will make a great movie. ;)

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15212

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
AJ, I finished reading LINCOLN LAWYER this wknd. I really enjoyed it. I am reading a young adult book THE GRAVEYARD BOOK by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean. It was suggested by a member of one of my bookclubs. It is very interesting and a bit strange. I am about to start A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES. I am not sure if I take it with me on my visit to my mother's. I do have several others on my Kindle.

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15216

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
Glad you liked TLL. I'll check out TGB, but I'm really into uplifting reads right now. :-) Am anxious to know what you think about DISCOVERY. I just finished my second pass last night and am so sad it's over and that I have to wait a year or so for the 2nd book to be released. THE FIFTH WITNESS, Connelly's latest, was released yesterday. I reviewed it in the paper. It's good and although I'm pretty good at figuring things out, I didn't see the ending coming at all.

Have a safe trip to Weatherford!

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15248

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
Anyone read Elizabeth Berg's latest? ONCE UPON A TIME THERE WAS YOU?

Her TALK BEFORE SLEEP is one of my all time favorite books, but the last two - including this one - have left me scratching my head.

Would love to hear what ya'll think about it.
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by terrymathews.

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15251

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
I've returned from the land of W'ford. Thank goodness the heavy storms passed us by. Just rain fell and a goodly amount of it. I didn't get to read any; I was too busy doing housework and yardwork for mom. Now, I can catch up in rdng. I had to come back to SS to rest ;) . Have you read LIVE WIRE by Harlan Coben? I saw him on the Today Show and got the sample for mt Kindle. It's hard to judge w/ such a snippet.

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15252

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
I tried to post a reply? What the heck?

I'm not a HC fan. I think he prefers to believe his PR people more than the critics/readers/fans/posters at amazon. :)

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15253

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
I just read the comments on Amazon concerning LIVE WIRE. I wasn't very impressed w/ the interview--his atttitude seemed to be one of arrogance. The GY book is more of a young adult type of book. It is a rather odd premise of a boy being raised by the spirits in a graveyard. The boy is the only living thing in the graveyard. His family has been slain by a character named Jack and somehow he makes his way to the graveyard. It's odd, but quirky enough for me to see it to the end. The main character is Bod, short for Nobody. It was suggested by a friend in bookclub. The author has another one she suggested: GOOD OMENS. Now, that is one strange book!! I won't go into detail here. It's storyline is even stranger.

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15257

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
That does sound a bit odd, but with possibilities.

DRIVING WITH DEAD PEOPLE. Don't waste your time. Our book club is reading it for May ... blech. That was a waste of an afternoon.

Re: Fiction 3 years 5 months ago #15351

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
MY LIFE IN FRANCE by Julia Child. Charming. Utterly charming.

THE INFORMATIONIST by Taylor Stevens. Impressive debut by a girl whose backstory is almost as interesting/compelling as her novel.

Re: Fiction 3 years 4 months ago #15491

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
Feature with Taylor Stevens runs tomorrow. Can't wait to read her second book - it comes out at Christmas. :-)

Re: Fiction 3 years 4 months ago #15493

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk.
I am reading 'Who Stole My Church?' by Gordon MacDonald - pretty good so far.
Guilt is concerned with the past. Worry is concerned about the future. Contentment enjoys the present.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by lighthousecollector.
Time to create page: 1.485 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu