LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fiction

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15037

Anyone read THE FATES WILL HAVE THEIR WAY?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15038

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
I just read "The Confession" by John Grisham. It's about a young man from Northeast Texas who was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to death - based only on his questionable confession. I found it fascinating. The fictional town where this occurred was called "Slone" - but the trial was moved 40 miles north to Paris. I would highly recommend this book.

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15039

Hey, Dave. I read it. Didn't like it. Felt like story was part of an overall agenda by Grisham. Isn't it interesting how we "read" things differently? I love learning what people thought of books I've read. I learn something in every discussion ... :-)

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15040

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
ArtsJunkie wrote:
Hey, Dave. I read it. Didn't like it. Felt like story was part of an overall agenda by Grisham. Isn't it interesting how we "read" things differently? I love learning what people thought of books I've read. I learn something in every discussion ... :-)

I agree with you that Grisham has an agenda. I still liked the book but that's mainly because I like Grisham. His liberal agenda is not new to his writing. That goes back to "A Time To Kill". I kind of like his "lighter" books better, like "The Brethren".

Speaking of different opinions. I went to a concert while I was in Washington in November. It was by the National Symphony - and after reading the Post's review the next morning - wondered if I had been to the same concert.

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15041

Isn't that interesting? I felt the same way after "Don Giovanni." DMN critic tore it apart ... and I had goosebumps during the whole thing. Go figure.

There's a new book out, THE FATES WILL FIND THEIR WAY. Critics are just eating it up. I got a copy. Blech. Most boring book I've read in a long, long time. I finished it only because I kept hoping something interesting would happen. :-)

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15042

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
ArtsJunkie wrote:
Isn't that interesting? I felt the same way after "Don Giovanni." DMN critic tore it apart ... and I had goosebumps during the whole thing. Go figure.

There's a new book out, THE FATES WILL FIND THEIR WAY. Critics are just eating it up. I got a copy. Blech. Most boring book I've read in a long, long time. I finished it only because I kept hoping something interesting would happen. :-)

Dang - I wish I had known you were going to Don Giovanni! I must have missed your review - I decided not to go because of the bad DMN review. That is my absolute favorite opera. Some critics say it's the greatest opera ever written. One of my favorite arias in all opera is Lepporello's "Catalogue Aria" in Act 1.
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by dave_k60.

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15043

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
Re: Fates - In my old age - I've learned ( i think) that if a book starts off boring to me - it usually doesn't get any better, and I just put it down.

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15044

• Gabrovic
  • Gold Boarder
dave_k60 wrote:
Re: Fates - In my old age - I've learned ( i think) that if a book starts off boring to me - it usually doesn't get any better, and I just put it down.

Agreed.

There is an anecdote about an aspiring author who submitted his first novel manuscript. The editor wrote back and said it "started off flat." The miffed author responded, "There's a murder on the first page!"

"Yes," said the editor, "but it's near the bottom." :(
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat (19th century French economist)
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Gabrovic. Reason: spelling

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15045

I thought it was fabulous. It *almost* knocked Figaro off of my top spot. :-) My favorite was the lover's aria vowing revenge ... he sang it with such passion, fire and tenderness for his lady. :-)

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15046

I would normally have put it down, but I wanted to finish so I could honestly do a review ... and warn our readers to steer clear. :-)

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15047

Gabrovic wrote:
dave_k60 wrote:

Agreed.

There is an anecdote about an aspiring author who submitted his first novel manuscript. The editor wrote back and said it "started off flat." The miffed author responded, "There's a murder on the first page!"

"Yes," said the editor, "but it's near the bottom." :(

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Fiction 3 years 6 months ago #15049

Got the galleys of David Baldacci's new one due out in April. SIXTH MAN.

Got a copy of MINDING FRANKIE, Maeve Binchy's new one. Love her sweet stories.

Heard from Alexander McCall Smith's assistant. Smith's agreed to sit for an interview about his new No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency book ... and the HBO series.

Finished the galleys of River Jordan's PRAYING FOR STRANGERS last night. Stunning in its simplicity. Look for big things from this title.

I do love my job. B)

Re: Fiction 3 years 5 months ago #15119

Finished A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES Tuesday night and dove right back in last night. I rarely re-read ... but I'll make an exception here. B)

Re: Fiction 3 years 5 months ago #15126

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
Hey, AJ,
While I was visiting my mother this past week, I read a really good book: Wading Home: A Novel of New Orleans by Rosalyn Story. She is a violinist with the Fort Worth Symphony. It "took me in" and I finished it in a day. I have just started another one of hers: More Than You Know. Both books are centered around a musician, in both cases, a guy. I read about them in the DMN. They are now both happily residing in my Kindle. If only I could have my jazz music stored on my Kindle paly at the same time I was reading these two books!! She has another one out, but I think it isn't for Kindles. I'm still knitting, but some of these books will read-to-me. "Gotta" love it!

Re: Fiction 3 years 5 months ago #15138

They sound interesting, PC. Have you read A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES yet? Would be interested to hear your take.

I'm re-reading THE LINCOLN LAWYER. Funny how much you forget from the first pass. :-)

Hope all's well in your world.
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu