LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fiction

Fiction 5 years 7 months ago #400

• Meri
  • Expert Boarder
I started reading the classics again a few years ago when my kid starting having to read them so we could discuss them. Its a totally different book as an adult reading "Old Man in the Sea" and "Candide" and "The Alchemist."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Fiction 5 years 7 months ago #401

• Meri
  • Expert Boarder
Also, one of the best books I've ever read, a mix of fiction and non-fiction, was Lorenzo Carcaterra's Sleeper. The movie blew, but the book was amazing.

It chronicles his life growing in the streets of 1960s Hells Kitchen, NY. It's raw, full of emotion and I cried when I finished it and I don't say that lightly, despite what some of you may have heard. It remains the BEST book I've ever read, even over Hemingway and Whitman.

Re:Fiction 5 years 7 months ago #420

I just finished "No Country for Old Men." Loved the movie, liked the book. McCormack leaves the characters faceless. He doesn't describe any of them in any way, and he doesn't use quotation marks, so it can sometimes get confusing as to who is talking.

Re:Fiction 5 years 7 months ago #428

• Meri
  • Expert Boarder
You know a lot of authors used to do that. Hemingway was the worst about not following the "rules" of writing. Yet, he is considered one of the greatest authors ever. Re-reading Old Man and the Sea I was shocked how different it was as a more well-read adult. It was almost amusing the way the old man talked to his hand.

Re:Fiction 5 years 7 months ago #439

The last book I read before that was John Grisham's "A Painted House." It was recommended to me by my aunt, and it is a must-read for rural folk like us. It's about family struggling to make it in cotton farmin' in Arkansas when vehicles were a luxury and television was still a mystery. I believe it was made into a movie but I haven't seen it.

Re:Fiction 5 years 5 months ago #1791

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
I just finished "First Family" but David Baldacci. I love Baldacci and have read everyone of his books, but this one was only so-so. It's worth a read, but don't get excited about it.

Re:Fiction 5 years 5 months ago #1941

• siulelbon
  • Administrator
Oh, I love the Alchemist! It's very sweet without being cheesy. Paulo Coelho is just great.

Re:Fiction 5 years 5 months ago #1959

• Meri
  • Expert Boarder
It's another one of those authors that ignores the "rules" and yet becomes a true standard. Wonder if that could happen today?

Re:Fiction 5 years 1 month ago #8585

Just got the galleys for Joseph Wambaugh's latest - HOLLYWOOD MOON - due out this fall. "The Onion Field" and "The Choirboys" are two of my favorites. Have lost touch with him, so I'm glad to have this to re-connect.

Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by terrymathews.

Re:Fiction 5 years 1 month ago #8588

"The Shack" comes to mind when talking about breaking all the rules, Meri.

"Same Kind of Different as Me," too.

And there's supposed to be one on the NYT list - "The Help" - that's a Cinderella-type story, too, but I haven't checked it out.

Re:Fiction 5 years 1 month ago #9105

Just finished Pat Conroy's SOUTH OF BROAD. Anyone else out there reading it? What do you think?
Last Edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by terrymathews.

Re:Fiction 5 years 3 weeks ago #9647

Got a copy of WHAT DIFFERENCE DO IT MAKE? ... the second book from Ron Hall and Denver Moore, the art dealer and homeless man who had such a hit with SAME KIND OF DIFFERENT AS ME ... Can't wait to dive into it. These two men have made a HUGE difference in the lives of so many.

Re:Fiction 5 years 1 week ago #10001

Got THE LOST SYMBOL yesterday ... made it to about page 100 last night ... it's pretty standard Brown ... symbols, secrets and a kidnapping already ...

Re:Fiction 5 years 1 week ago #10005

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
ArtsJunkie wrote:
Got THE LOST SYMBOL yesterday ... made it to about page 100 last night ... it's pretty standard Brown ... symbols, secrets and a kidnapping already ...

The question is... Do you take any of it, or his The Da Vinci Code, as factual events?

The reason I ask this is because soooo many people world wide do, even though he said himself that it was indeed fiction, makes for a good story.

Re:Fiction 5 years 1 week ago #10008

No, Snipey. I don't take it seriously. That's why they call it fiction.

When he wrote "Digital Fortress," Dan Brown e-mailed me and asked me if I would review it. I have a signed copy of it ... He got my information from amazon.com ... I really liked the book. His wife is an art historian and helps with his research.

Funny ... I didn't hear from him on "The Da Vinci Code" or "Angels and Demons." I guess when you've sold over 81 million copies of your work, you don't need a girl from a small town in the East Texas woods to review what you've done. :)
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu