Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Used Books

Used Books 3 years 8 months ago #15171

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
In another thread I noticed someone hoping for a CostCo or Sam's Clube so they could buy more books. Those big-box stores do sell new books for a lot less.

Then I got to looking at the several boxes of yet un-read books sitting here beside the computer. All of them are used. I don't remember the last time I paid full price for a new book. A hard cover anyway.

I like paperback books because I'm always carrying a book around with me. Standing in line at the store, waiting in the doctors office, waiting while my wife is shopping.....

Every book in those boxes is used. I picked them up at Saver's, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Library Thrift Store, and at Garage Sales... Almost every book, including hard covers, for $2 or less.. most at 25 cents or less.

When traveling to Las Vegas, my first stop (after Bass Pro) is Saver's.
They have so many books there... books like Westerns, Historical fiction, and Military that one never sees in Hawaii. I usually fill a suitcase.

Once a year we have a Garage Sale and I can get rid of around half of the books I've read... 25 cents each or make me an offer... 3 for 25 cents???........ You've got a deal )
Everything left is donated. Lots of places take donated books and magazines.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by StanWright.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Used Books 3 years 8 months ago #15172

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
I've never heard of Saver's. I'll have to look into that place. I sometimes take books to a local laundramat. Where else are you stuck with basically nothing to do except watch the clothes go around in a dryer? It gives me a place to provide for others and I feel like I can pass on some good reading to those who may not be able to afford books or have an opportunity to get books outside the lovely walls of Wal-Mart. I may not be making that quarter or so, but I am giving the "love of reading" to others. Once in a while, I even have some young adult books to pass on to others.

Re: Used Books 3 years 8 months ago #15180

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
I hadn't heard of Savers either. My BIL lives in Vegas and we go out there for visits. I'll have to catch it the next time.

Thanks for the tip.

There are about 20 books and at least that many CDs sitting on the floor behind me. They're here for anyone who wants to read them. :-)

Re: Used Books 3 years 8 months ago #15189

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
I Googled .... "Saver's" and there are some stores in Austin. None in Dallas/Ft Worth,

I think there are several in Las Vegas.

Re: Used Books 3 years 8 months ago #15197

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
Wal-Mart and other various box stores don't have a very good selection, in my opinion anyway. Barnes and Noble are too expensive, imo, though I do break down and buy some stuff from them anyway(ex. Unix and Linux stuff.)I guess the books I'm into just aren't laying around, they are probably next to someone's computer in a box or something.LOL. Just kidding there Stan and AJ.

I buy stuff from Hastings at a fairly reasonable price, always looking through the el-cheapo carts/shelves they have, plus they sell used books. (Though I rarely get out of the History section)

Has anyone been in the used book store here in town?

Re: Used Books 3 years 8 months ago #15203

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
My daughter buys and sells her text books on line.
What's that place? Amazon?

I can usually find hard to locate books there.
and cheaper too.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu