Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone have a Kindle?

Anyone have a Kindle? 4 years 10 months ago #11988

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
My mother gave one to Mr. Mathews and me for Christmas.

So far, it seems pretty user friendly. Have downloaded two books. Am still waiting for it to get fully charged before I start reading without the power cable.

Anyone had experience with them?

What do you think? Like it - or not?

Tips - Tricks - Shortcuts - etc?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Anyone have a Kindle? 4 years 10 months ago #11997

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
Hey, AJ,
I have a Kindle, but it is one of the first ones that were made. I like the way I can take several books with me. It does hold its charge very well. I like the features where you can find the definition of word "right away". I always keep post-its in my books to write those pesky words I am not sure about and then later look them up. It isn't the same as having a REAL book in your hands. You and I both know that experience. When you are traveling, it is an absolute must! I like how quickly a book can be downloaded. I timed it when I ordered the second book--10 seconds. I am sure your version has more features than mine does,but I am pleased with mine. There are some folks, in one of the bookclubs I am in, that have the new version and that is the only way they read their books. I don't like that I cannot go back to a certain page or at least I haven't learned how to do that yet. I did download the manual, but I haven't read the thing yet. I would rather read my books.Its hard to go into detail in this manner.

Re:Anyone have a Kindle? 4 years 10 months ago #11998

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks. I'm liking it a lot. It won't ever replace the real deal, but I think I'm going to use it when I travel or when I'm "in between" books and need something quick.

I'm reading Greg Mortenson's new book, "Stones into Schools." I'm doing a program on it in March, so I'm bookmarking and highlighting like crazy.

Re:Anyone have a Kindle? 4 years 10 months ago #12011

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
I completely understand not replacing the "real" thing. I feel the same way about taking it "on the road". It doesn't weigh as much as a regular book and there are so many books in one place. The bookmarking concept is really great.

Re:Anyone have a Kindle? 4 years 9 months ago #12143

• BubbasPlace
  • Expert Boarder
I now know what a Kindle is. I saw it on TV this morning. I would rather have a book to read. :laugh: I don't read that much but when I do, I want the real thing. :P

Re:Anyone have a Kindle? 4 years 9 months ago #12147

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
BP: It will never replace a real book for me, either. But, it is nice for traveling. Took it to mother-in-law's house at Christmas and enjoyed having it.

I read "Stones into Schools" last week and missed being able to flip back and forth to the maps, illustrations while reading.

Here's a photo of one.

Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by terrymathews.

Re:Anyone have a Kindle? 4 years 9 months ago #12149

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by terrymathews.

Re:Anyone have a Kindle? 4 years 4 months ago #13375

• anon
  • Platinum Boarder
I just got my Kindle this past week. I downloaded 3 books so far. Love the speed at which the books load, less than one minute, even with low signal strength at my house. One of the books, I downloaded while it was in transit to me and when I turned it on, there was my book. Of the three I downloaded, two were free books. I love that. I have never found a free book in any bookstore, ever. I am now going back in time and reading some of the classics I had never read, starting with Great Expectations.

I also downloaded the Kindle PC app. It's nice to be able to read back and forth between the two, as well as sync them so I will open up to the same page whichever device I am reading from. I really think I am going to love my Kindle. It's also nice to know that I won't have books piling up around the house taking up space.

Re:Anyone have a Kindle? 4 years 4 months ago #13422

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
Anyone read Scott Turow's new release, "Innocent"? Downloaded it today and am about 17% into the story .... or so my Kindle tells me ... B)

Re:Anyone have a Kindle? 4 years 4 months ago #13431

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
I was just sitting here reflecting on the "Kindle", thinking it should have been named the Kindle-less, since we will not be able to get kindling from it to light winter fires. I already subscribe to the NT electronic edition, so there will be no papers piling up at the homestead either.

But as I was thinking about that, the thought crossed my mind about book burnings and censorship. It might be hard to burn books these days as more and more people get these electronic books, and that is a good thing.

As we go down the road and more of us are using these contraptions, and fewer books, as we elders know them, actually get printed, does it not make censorship easier? What I mean is, what if someone with control at Amazon (just using them for the sake of the argument, not suggesting at all that they will do this), gets it into their head that the public really does not need to read this particular book. Who will really be in charge? Who watches the controllers so that the public has access to who (the authors) and what (the topics) it wants to read?

Just thoughts rambling around, getting stuck in the cobwebs of my mind.

Re:Anyone have a Kindle? 4 years 4 months ago #13555

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
I've got an interview with Scott Turow Monday afternoon ... if ya'll have a question you'd like for me to ask him, just PM me or send it to

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

B)

Re:Anyone have a Kindle? 4 years 4 months ago #13574

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
inkeper wrote:
I was just sitting here reflecting on the "Kindle", thinking it should have been named the Kindle-less, since we will not be able to get kindling from it to light winter fires. I already subscribe to the NT electronic edition, so there will be no papers piling up at the homestead either.

But as I was thinking about that, the thought crossed my mind about book burnings and censorship. It might be hard to burn books these days as more and more people get these electronic books, and that is a good thing.

As we go down the road and more of us are using these contraptions, and fewer books, as we elders know them, actually get printed, does it not make censorship easier? What I mean is, what if someone with control at Amazon (just using them for the sake of the argument, not suggesting at all that they will do this), gets it into their head that the public really does not need to read this particular book. Who will really be in charge? Who watches the controllers so that the public has access to who (the authors) and what (the topics) it wants to read?

Just thoughts rambling around, getting stuck in the cobwebs of my mind.

inkeper ... I caught Scott Turow on BookTV last night and he had some interesting things to say about the future of printed books v. e-books done without a publisher. He shared his concerns about pirating ... said "Innocent" was up on websites for Kindles and text files within a week of its early May release ... he also said when people buy his books, they are supporting publishers, too, who can, in turn, support new writers.

While I like my Kindle for travel, I still want to hold a book in my hands ... a real book is a part of my reading history I don't want to lose. B)

Re:Anyone have a Kindle? 4 years 4 months ago #13575

• deckofficer
  • Expert Boarder
I will not buy a Kindle.BUT have the pc app and app for my Iphone.Why pay for another device when I already have one that does the same thing free! I love that Amazon is making "vanity" publishers available.New authors to discover.Beware some of the "free" books, sometimes it is an agenda political or otherwise to get you hooked on their writing. I applaud the concept, but am usually annoyed after a chapter.But hey, it was free so buyer beware! :laugh:
read my blog if you're bored.
echobasetoechoseven.blogspot.com/
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu