Home Forum mySSnews.com Forum Home Share Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter

Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter 5 years 5 months ago #5008

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
You've probably seen the TV commercial for the Topsy Turvy upside-down tomato planter. It looks like a Japanese lantern filled with potting soil, and you stuff some baby tomato plants underneath it. Then you just keep filling the bag with water and the plants magically grow upside down, making more tomatoes than you or your family can possibly eat in 10 years. I've grown plants (or at least tried to) in every conceivable manner (pots, planters, yard, side-hill, hydroponic beer cans, etc.) but I've never tried to grow one upside down. Any one tried this thing?
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter 5 years 5 months ago #5011

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk.
Haven't tried it. Been tempted, but really don't think it would work, so I just put my plants in the ground.
Guilt is concerned with the past. Worry is concerned about the future. Contentment enjoys the present.

Re:Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter 5 years 4 months ago #5021

• jane
  • Senior Boarder
Don't waste your money.

It's one of those gimmicks that they push hard for sales in the first few weeks coz they know that people will start complaining soon and it'll get bad press and stop selling.
That's why they say on the TV commercial "but you must order NOW"

I saw something similar in the UK a few years back.
It took about 3 weeks to start getting bad press.

Re:Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter 5 years 4 months ago #5024

• momof3
  • Platinum Boarder
I saw one at the co-op about a month ago. It has a round wooden peice that goes on the bottom and a small hole in it where the plant grows through. After looking at it I decided not to try it because in my way of thinking, onece the stem gets as big as the hole then the wood would cut into the stem and possibly kill the plant. I just put mine in the ground.

I did however buy the grandkids those little herb and vegetable gardens that come with the seeds and planter and peat moss. All you have to do is put it all together and add water. Let me tell you, those things made so many plants from those little packages. I have a grandson that loves to eat salad. So he wanted to grow his own. He got the one that has lettuce, tomato and bell pepper. From the one little package we now have 8 planters full of all 3 plant types and I am going to have to thin them again and transplant some more. I am putting them in the ground this time as well.

Re:Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter 5 years 4 months ago #5033

• sniper101
  • Platinum Boarder
I've seen several hanging on porches around town. I think I will use the traditional methods. That is, if I win the war with the ants in my garden.

Re:Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter 5 years 1 month ago #9844

• new2country
  • Senior Boarder
I did get one of these, it worked great!

Now, I have to admit that I've never grown tomatoes before. We got more tomatoes than I could eat off of it this summer. I plan to buy a couple more next year and maybe share with the neighbors and co-workers.

Re:Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter 5 years 1 month ago #9845

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
new2country wrote:
I did get one of these, it worked great!

Now, I have to admit that I've never grown tomatoes before. We got more tomatoes than I could eat off of it this summer. I plan to buy a couple more next year and maybe share with the neighbors and co-workers.

Man, that's good news. I got 3 off of 2 vines this year. I'll definitely try one next year. I *heart* tomatoes. Thanks for letting us know.

Re:Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter 5 years 1 month ago #9846

• SmallTownGal
ArtsJunkie wrote:

Man, that's good news. I got 3 off of 2 vines this year. I'll definitely try one next year. I *heart* tomatoes. Thanks for letting us know.

You can make something similar out of a 5 gallon bucket, the lid and some fabric (can use old denim from jeans), mesh or plastic wrap and some black spray paint (you don't have to paint it, but it helps because it'll hold in heat).

Take your bucket and paint it black then drill a hole in the bottom. Take the fabric and cut a hole about the same size as the hole you drilled. Glue the fabric inside the bucket to cover your hole. Put your tomato plant inside and fill with gardening soil. Put the lid on and use a sturdy rope or something to hang it on a sturdy hook by the metal handle. You can also drill a hole into the lid so that you don't have to take the lid off to water your plant.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.901 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu