Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Chili Pepper Water

Chili Pepper Water 3 years 9 months ago #14982

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
Growing up in East Texas, my Mom always had a bottle on the table containing water / vinegar, salt, and chili peppers. I liked it best on pinto beans and corn bread. :laugh:

In Hawaii they call it "Chili Pepper Water". It's very popular and in its most basic culinary form is prepared from local red chilis, salt, and water.
Chili pepper water is historically a homemade concoction used in household kitchens and restaurants. Various ingredients are sometimes added for additional flavor, including garlic, ginger, mirin, and rice wine vinegar. It is often used splashed on eggs, rice and other foods to add flavor and spicy heat.

Any one out there have one of Grandma's recipes for "Chili Pepper Water"?
:)
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Chili Pepper Water 3 years 9 months ago #14984

• terrymathews
  • Platinum Boarder
My grandmother kept a bottle on the table, too, but she used green peppers that my grandfather grew in the garden. I love it on greens, spinach and in my deviled eggs.

I don't have her recipe. I think she just poured vinegar and salt over the peppers, let them sit a couple of weeks and put it on the table.

I remember never knowing how hot a jar was going to be ... the heat index varied with my grandfather's pepper crop. B)

Re: Chili Pepper Water 3 years 9 months ago #14987

• tjs
  • Gold Boarder
We had this as well Stan. If I recall, though, my mother bought the original bottle with the peppers, and then continued to refill with vinegar over and over!

Waste not, want not---her motto, I believe!

We loved "pepper sauce" as we called it, on turnip greens. Yum....
Just peppers soaked in vinegar and salt.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.751 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu