• Page:

TOPIC: About Clothes Dryers

About Clothes Dryers 4 years 10 months ago #12015

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
INFO ABOUT CLOTHES DRYERS
The heating unit went out on my dryer! The gentleman that fixed it for us told
us that he wanted to show us something and he went over to the
dryer and pulled out the lint filter. It was clean. (I always clean the lint from the fil-
ter after every load clothes.)

He told us that he wanted to show us something; he
took the filter over to the sink and ran hot water over it. The lint filter is made of a
mesh material ... I'm sure you know what your dryer's lint filter looks like. Well ...
the hot water just sat on top of the mesh! It didn't go through it at all! He told us
that dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh that's what burns out the heating unit.
You can't SEE the film, but it's there. It's what is in the dryer sheets to make your
clothes soft and static free ... that nice fragrance too. You know how they can feel
waxy when you take them out of the box .. well this stuff builds up on your clothes
and on your lint screen.

This is also what causes dryer units to potentially burn your
house down with it! He said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long
time (and to keep your electric bill lower) is to take that filter out and wash it with
hot soapy water and an old toothbrush (or other brush) at least every six months.
He said that makes the life of the dryer at least twice as long! How about that!?!
Learn something new everyday! I certainly didn't know dryer sheets would do that.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:About Clothes Dryers 4 years 10 months ago #12017

• MsHaggie
  • Senior Boarder
Karma bump for Stan!! Thanks Stan for the great tip!

I have also heard not to put dryer sheets in with towels. The "film" makes them not as absorbant quicker.

Re:About Clothes Dryers 4 years 10 months ago #12018

• anon
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't use dryer sheets for that very reason, but I also don't use the liquid kind either. My washer and dryer was 22 years old when I replaced them. Both were still working fine. I had only had the washer worked on 2 times in all the years. From what I was told, that is longer than they should have lasted. There were no bells and whistles on either, which I think extends the life tremendously. I would still be using them except that my daughter had a fairly new set and wanted to replace hers with the fancy frontloaders. The machines I got from her work good, but I still think I prefer my older ones over these. I have also heard that fabric softeners, used over time, will cause whites to get dingy. A cup of vinegar in the final rinse cycle is suppose to soften the laundry. I rarely use it since it requires me to pay attention to the laundry and I really don't want to put that much time and effort into laundry.

It is also true that your towels will not absorb if they have had fabric softener used on them. Towels with softener will move the liquid around but won't absorb. I really didn't believe it until I tried it, and found it to be true.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.382 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu