Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Strip Mining for Coal

Strip Mining for Coal 5 years 6 months ago #6475

• StanWright
  • Platinum Boarder
I was watching the National Geographic channel the other day and there was a show about the big machines used in strip mining.

Then I remembered something about strip mining for coal in Sul. Spgs. years ago.
Is the mining still being done? I couldn't find anything on Google Earth. I guess everything has been restored to the way it was before.???
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Strip Mining for Coal 5 years 6 months ago #6477

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
wasn't that around thermo?

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&...=13&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embe...329&t=h&z=13" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

not sure if that link will work....but see if it does...
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by heartandmind.

Re:Strip Mining for Coal 5 years 6 months ago #6478

Yes, the strip mining is still going on in Thermo. But, the power company has started mining the east side of the FM road that runs through Thermo. They're through mining the east side and it has been restored.
There is also a huge mining operation just this side of Mount Pleasant.

Re:Strip Mining for Coal 5 years 6 months ago #6483

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
Strip mining has gotten a bad rap over the years for the destruction of the landscape in the mining area. TXU, or whatever they are called now, deserves and has gotten high praise for the reclamation work done on both mines in the area. I come from a long family of miners and have seen firsthand what can happen when the company doesn't care. Kudos to the locals out there at Thermo and Monticello!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu