LoginCreate an account

Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What is going on here?

What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4381

What is going on with the choice of eating places in this town? I would never have thought it possible that Popeye's would close down and Chicken Express would succeed, there food is bland and overcooked, and apparently they use 15 year old roosters for their chicken. You dont have any choice here, well plenty of places but all with the same old things, our Italian restaraunt must thaw or remove everything they serve from a can or box, our next nicest option is Chillies, which is nothing more than a hyped up over priced Mc' donalds with nothing special on their menu either, the only reason they get so much business is because they serve alchohol. As far as our locally grown places they are just your same old same ole fried everything that all tastes the same. I'm sure there will soon be some new establishments built, but lets hope there not carl's jr or another pizza place. I can see why this portion of Texas has such high rates of diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity. Stop the insanity people, demand better and you shall receive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4384

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk.
I love Chicken Express! However, I do have to say their customer service is going down the tubes. The last few times I have been there, they have gotten my order wrong, left something out or some other 'mishap'. I do love their sweet tea, yum.
I agree we need more variety here. I would love to see an Olive Garden or Cracker Barrel come to town.
Guilt is concerned with the past. Worry is concerned about the future. Contentment enjoys the present.

Re:What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4389

• BigDaddyK
  • Junior Boarder
Chicken Express is a nice change from hamburger and fries. Their gizzards are terrible however. Always old over breaded and tough. It is much better and less expensive than Popeye's and much much less expensive than KFC was.

Cracker Barrell would be great. Olive Garden would also be nice.

How bout this, go to Piggly Wiggly, buy some meat and vegies and cook something nice at home.

Re:What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4390

• heartandmind
  • Platinum Boarder
that's about the only way to get a decent meal in town these days!

i remember seller's cafeteria downtown - man, they had some great food!

i've often dreamed of going back there and opening a nice sit down place to eat.

what's that bbq place on the main drag, close to the car dealerships? maybe i'm a little off on location, but it's fairly new, like a few yrs old. never seems to have clientele and the few times i've eaten there, yuck!

Re:What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4410

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
At Chicken Express, when I order gizzards I make them cook them fresh, and I wait and watch to be sure I get them that way. They are not as good as the old Grandma's Fried Chicken that Pat Potts used to own, but they are passable ordered fresh.

Do you mean Bodacious Bar b Q that is in the old propane gas building next to Gober Merrell? Not one of their better establishments, the ones in Mt Pleasant and Kilgore are much better. I like Big Smith's myself, just 8 miles south on 154 at intersection of 1567. Very laid back, friendly, and just plain good.

Re:What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4412

• Sammie
  • Platinum Boarder
I like Big Smith's myself, just 8 miles south on 154 at intersection of 1567. Very laid back, friendly, and just plain good.

I called Steve personally one night and asked " ,,,how much for a rack of ribs?" He said "...about $29".
I said.." fix um up for me I'll send the wife to get em". When she got home they were $48. I called him back and questioned him only to hear "...sorry that's just the way it is". I will starve before I ever patronize them again and I tell everyone I know.

Re:What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4419

• momof3
  • Platinum Boarder
Murray's BBQ on Hwy 19 in Cooper is really good. My mom was looking for someone to cook a ham for the quilt guild's christmas dinner and she called Big Smith, 18lb ham smoked was $125. She called Murray's and 18lb ham smoked was $60. Big difference! And it was great!

Re:What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4423

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
Been there, Murrays, and watched someone empty garbage cans and go right back to preparing plates barehanded, no washing of hands, no plastic gloves...nope, won't catch me in there again.

Re:What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4426

• momof3
  • Platinum Boarder
not very many restaurants do wear plastic gloves. I have never seen any one at Chili's or Juan Pablo's or any place like that wear plastic gloves. I have been to Murrays and they DO wash their hands. At least they are in front of you. How do you know anyone at Chili's doesn't have their hands in undesireable places when they fix your plate? Been in many restaurant kitchens lately? Chickie E don't wear gloves and I doubt they even wash their hands!

Re:What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4500

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
Mom, All I can tell you is I saw what I saw. The employee was preparing plates without any gloves of any type on. Went and took 2 garbage cans to where ever, came back in the door, replaced the cans, and went right back to preparing plates. Never stopped at a sink or restroom. I decided I wasn't hungry after all and left.

I travel quite a bit and see lots of places where the food handlers wear those clear plastic gloves. I am not freaked out by bare-handed people at all, but after taking out the garbage and not washing their hands at all....give me a break, you would have had second thoughts as well.

Re:What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4501

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk.
You should have asked to see the manager. The reason people get by with these things is because we don't complain. You can be polite and still let management know they just lost a customer and why. In this economy no one can afford to lose customers and it's not fair for them to not know why their business is going under. :S
Guilt is concerned with the past. Worry is concerned about the future. Contentment enjoys the present.

Re:What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4510

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
For all I know he was the manager/ owner. He was the one barking orders to the rest of the staff. He knows why I left, I told him in a way not to attract attention or upset the other patrons that were there.

Re:What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4569

• anon
  • Platinum Boarder
Every time you enter a restroom at a restaurant, there are signs that say to wash hands before leaving the restroom. Those signs are not there for the customers. They are required by the health department, and are for the employees. If an employee doesn't wash their hands after carrying out garbage, I would bet they don't pay attention to the signs either when they leave the restrooms. That's just nasty. I wouldn't eat there either if I saw that.

Re:What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4574

• Heffie1
  • Gold Boarder
It's kinda of a out of sight/ out of mind. If I can't see them I try not to think about it. But if I can see them prepare my food, I would think they would have enough sense to be clean. But some people are just nasty.
If we open a quarrel between past and present, we shall find that we have lost the future.
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Heffie1.

Re:What is going on here? 5 years 6 months ago #4615

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah Heffie, that's what I am talking about. I have a certain amount of trust that they are going to be hygenic, but when you see that they aren't, and maybe it was the only time he didn't wash his hands, that trust is gone for that place.
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu