Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Medicine Chest sold to CVS

Medicine Chest sold to CVS 1 year 11 months ago #16388

• new2country
  • Senior Boarder
In other areas (mount Pleasant, Paris...) the Medicine Chest pharmacies are closing 12/31, I'm not sure if that is the case in Sulphur Springs or not. Has anyone heard anything?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Medicine Chest sold to CVS 1 year 11 months ago #16389

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk.
I hope this is not true. Medicine Chest is based here in Sulphur Springs. Just think how many people would lose their jobs. Hopefully this is just a rumor.
Guilt is concerned with the past. Worry is concerned about the future. Contentment enjoys the present.

Re:Medicine Chest sold to CVS 1 year 11 months ago #16391

• new2country
  • Senior Boarder
It's definitely not a rumor. I'm just not sure what's going to happen.

Re:Medicine Chest sold to CVS 1 year 11 months ago #16393

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
I heard the rumor from a Medicine Chest employee. Not sure what's gonna happen though.

Re:Medicine Chest sold to CVS 1 year 11 months ago #16394

• Scott
We are going to have a story on this as soon as the two parties are ready to go public (meaning as soon as they will tell us anything "on the record").

What I do know is that CVS has purchased 19 of the Medicine Chest locations throughout Texas -- including the two Sulphur Springs retail locations. No clue yet what CVS plans to do here in SS.

Medicine Chest is certainly not going away. The company retained seven retail stores and its three institutional pharmacies (including the one in SS. Institutional pharmacies are NOT open to the public). This seems like a great deal for the Medicine Chest folks -- but we may have some changes here in SS (and that stinks).

Look for full coverage in the NT soon.

Re:Medicine Chest sold to CVS 1 year 11 months ago #16395

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk.
Thanks for the info, Scott. I talked to our 'delivery guy' this morning and he told me about the same thing you just posted. I hope they still deliver, it really helps me out since I live with and am responsible for an aging mother and a disabled adult son. Between the two of them we get a lot of deliveries to our home each month.
Guilt is concerned with the past. Worry is concerned about the future. Contentment enjoys the present.

Re:Medicine Chest sold to CVS 1 year 11 months ago #16396

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
It seems the "neighborhood pharmacy" concept is sadly going away (much like every other "neighborhood" business). Remember the old guys - Corner Drug, Nelson's Pharmacy and Rexall Drug (I think that was the name). Wonderful places with wonderful people. Medicine Chest did a nice job of filling that void -- but I doubt CVS will continue that kind of service.

What are we left with? Cody Drug? Look out Mr. Cody, I'll be heading your way!

Re: Medicine Chest sold to CVS 1 year 11 months ago #16401

• new2country
  • Senior Boarder
Well, as much as I don't like CVS it's not the chain store's fault the independent has gone away. Unfortunately, with the way insurance & Medicaid reimbursements are they can't make enough money to stay competitive. Chain drug does it with volume and front end self service sales.

Re: Medicine Chest sold to CVS 1 year 11 months ago #16402

• new2country
  • Senior Boarder
In other words, blame insurance companies & the federal government...

Re:Medicine Chest sold to CVS 1 year 11 months ago #16406

• dave_k60
  • Gold Boarder
My insurance provider, like many others, is "encouraging" us to switch to mail order for "maintenance" medicine ( blood pressure, etc). It's free for generic and the co-pay is extremely reasonable.

I think the thing that hurts small pharmacies is that it is an extra stop to pick up your prescriptions. The Walmarts, Brookshires, CVS and Walgreen's all have a full store full of merchandise. I used to love the old days when drug stores used to have a soda fountain and grill.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu