Username: Password:

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Helm Lane Apartments

Helm Lane Apartments 1 year 10 months ago #16318

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
I heard the Helm Lane Apartments (I know they have a different name now, just no clue what it is) had a pretty serious fire over the weekend. I haven't seen pics yet, but what a tragedy. If the damage was as bad as I heard, lots of people will be homeless/clothesless for the holidays. So sad.

I remember as a teen watching a fire FROM Helm Lane Apartments, when the old balloon plant location burned. That was one BIG fire!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Helm Lane Apartments 1 year 10 months ago #16319

• inkeper
  • Platinum Boarder
Years ago it started as Lakeview Village Apartments, then there was Lakeside Apartments within Lakeview Village. Now they are called Quail Ridge I believe. When you were a teen, lots of young adults just called it Sin City.

Re:Helm Lane Apartments 1 year 10 months ago #16320

• SmallTownGal
I was a young kid, problaby 6 or so, when the balloon plant caught on fire. I, too, watched FROM Helm Lane Apartments when it burned. I clearly recall playing outside and running inside our apartment and telling, probably my Mom, that the building was on fire. I have fond memories, and some not so fond (the man drowning in the old pool after a night of drunken behavior), growing up there.

I am saddened that all those people have lost their homes. Many prayers to them!

Re:Helm Lane Apartments 1 year 10 months ago #16321

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
I lived in the top apt. directly across from where the building started burning. I came home from school. I was the second to call concerning the smoke that was beginning to be seen. They weren't going to evacuate our side until a fireman knocked on a door, close to the end near the service road, and burned his had. I had no time to get out. I managed to save my dog, but not my cat. I had to get away from my apt., but folks could stand on my landing. I was worried someone would break in and get my things. To make matters worse, I was in a play that night. I didn't know when I got home would I find my apt. still standing or gone. Is was a miserable time at the theatre and all night with the flare ups and the talk of the fireman. The following nights had armed men in the parking/drive area stopping all of us to see if we lived there. The guard was so surprised when I returned with "greyed hair and old lady make-up" Also, my cat had fallen out the upstairs window and was difficult to find. I kept yelling for him and had the guard approach me with my cat.

As to this fire, a lady in my hospice knitting/crochet group told us her daughter's apt. was one of those totally destroyed. I have a trunk load of things for her. Fortunately, we wear the same size. I am just waiting for a phone call to deliver the stuff.

I also think I will use the funds I would have used for Christmas to donate to either the Red Cross or Salvation Army. Maybe that could be an idea for some of us. At least send the amount of one gift. After all,we are here and we have so much. I look around at my home and see so much that is sentimental and then the stuff that screams "why did you buy me?"

Re:Helm Lane Apartments 1 year 10 months ago #16325

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
Great story Phurr ....

and a great idea!

Re:Helm Lane Apartments 1 year 10 months ago #16326

• phurrchild
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you, jbourne. I did take a check to the Salvation Army yesterday. You (anyone) can take whatever donation to the Bait Shop by the Super Handy near Walmart. I was instructed to add to my note on the memo line (I had put " fire victims on Helm Lane" to put Hopkins County. This would make sure the funds stayed here. It seems all folks are "somewhere" safe. I did notice in the paper that the school district is doing things for the students who lost supplies, backpacks, etc. There once was an emergency fund for such things; but I don't know how much is in the fund. I also wonder how many kids were affected. With all the news concerning Sandy, we were bombarded with that sad news of all the individuals affected; but now we have our own disaster and must stand up and help. Too bad we don't have Willie Nelson. I remember when he had a concert to assist with fund raising for the HIllsboro Courthouse when it burned. Of course, that was in his home county. This is such a busy season, but wow, this has been a huge hit.

What did we do several years ago when the apt. group across and down the Interstate also burned?

Re:Helm Lane Apartments 1 year 10 months ago #16331

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
phurrchild wrote:
What did we do several years ago when the apt. group across and down the Interstate also burned?

Phurr ... I remember the fire but I don't have a clue what the community response was. Anyone have a clue what year that was?

Re:Helm Lane Apartments 1 year 10 months ago #16332

• SmallTownGal
jbourne wrote:
phurrchild wrote:

Phurr ... I remember the fire but I don't have a clue what the community response was. Anyone have a clue what year that was?

The Spanish Trails fire was Sept. 13, 2008. Here is one of the stories SSNT did. www.myssnews.com/news-telegram/news/178-...milies-homeless.html

I don't think the community support was there like it is for the Helm Lane fire. Maybe it has something to do with this one being so close to the holidays?

Re:Helm Lane Apartments 1 year 10 months ago #16333

• lighthousecollector
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk.
The response to this fire has been tremendous. I work part time at one of the churches and have spent most of my work hours this week answering the phone and helping people find out where to take their donations. People are being very generous and trying hard to be helpful with this local disaster. :)
Guilt is concerned with the past. Worry is concerned about the future. Contentment enjoys the present.

Re:Helm Lane Apartments 1 year 10 months ago #16339

• jbourne
  • Platinum Boarder
SmallTownGal wrote:
jbourne wrote:
phurrchild wrote:

The Spanish Trails fire was Sept. 13, 2008. Here is one of the stories SSNT did. www.myssnews.com/news-telegram/news/178-...milies-homeless.html

I don't think the community support was there like it is for the Helm Lane fire. Maybe it has something to do with this one being so close to the holidays?

You're probably right STG ... the holidays probably played a role in the response. Whatever the reason --- it was heartwarming to read some of the stories. :)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds

mySSnews Login

User Menu