The mystery genre in film is a little hard to identify because some movies have a twist at the end that makes them mysteries while other play out more like dramas.
However, a good mystery leaves little doubt as to what it is. So with that in mind, here are my Top 10 American-made mysteries, as well as those deemed Top 10 material by the American Film Institute.
1. The Sixth Sense (M. Night Shyamalan's best)
2. The Bourne Identity (the first in the trio of movies is the defining one)
3. The Maltese Falcon (Bogie at his finest)
4. Memento (played backward in time is a stroke of genius)
5. Seven (could be horror movie, but really fits in mystery genre)
6. Rear Window (Hitchcock has several on the list)
7. L.A. Confidential
9. The Secret Window
10. North by Northwest
Note: AFI's Top 10: 1. Vertigo; 2. Chinatown; 3. Rear Window; 4. Laura; 5. The Third Man; 6. The Maltese Falcon; 7. North by Northwest; 8. Blue Velvet; 9. Dial M For Murder; 10. The Usual Suspects.
|< Prev||Next >|