It's a funny thing about sports movies -- the most popular sports make for some of the worst movies. If you don't think so, then name a half-dozen great football movies. How about basketball? You won't ever get there.
Horse racing and boxing, though, make wonderful films. So, to that end, here are my Top 10 sports films:
1. Chariots of Fire (It won Best Picture in 1981 for a reason)
2. Million Dollar Baby (Best Picture of 2004)
3. Hoosiers (inspired by the true story of Milan, Ind.)
4.Caddyshack (It would also be top 10 in comedies)
5. Rocky (The original was greatness before the shabby sequels made the movies a joke)
6. Field of Dreams (For once, the movie is better than the written story)
7. Major League
8. For Love of the Game (another Costner film)
9. Remember the Titans
10. Bull Durham
Note I: Worst sports movie ever made that does not star a chmimpanzee -- The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh.
Note II: AFI's Top 10: 1. Raging Bull; 2. Rocky; 3. Pride of the Yankees; 4. Hoosiers; 5. Bull Durham; 6. The Hustler; 7. Caddyshack; 8. Breaking Away; 9. National Velvet; 10. Jerry Maguire.
|< Prev||Next >|